Menu

Can someone tell me if I'm doing WWE the right way?

Cranberry

How much help do I give him with narration. The problem is that he tends to be either extremely too specific or extremely generic when I think he should be doing the opposite, or if the given answer (in the book) is the opposite.

For example...

We are on week 7 of WWE level 2. It's about Ginger Pye

What does Jerry want more than anything else in the world?

My son would answer "He wants a pet" when the answer should be "He wants a dog."

Then when it's time to summarize, he does the same type of thing and for instance might say "he wants something..."

When prompted to give more details, he can so I know it's not that he doesn't remember. He has very good comprehension, it's just he has a hard time gauging how specific to be.

So my questions are:

do I prompt him to give answers closer to what is in the book, or as long as it's in the general vicinity is that ok?

How much should I be helping him to do the summarizing? He can answer the prompts fine but then goes a little off the deep end when asked to summarize. Should I just write what he gives me or ask further questions to get him to give something close to what the book suggests.

I don't want to be helping too much but I tend towards being a perfectionist, so I tend to steer him towards the "right" summary.

Can someone offer some advice on how to guide and nudge without stepping on his toes?

We're doing WWE2 now too. If DD's answer is not specific enough, I just add a followup question, i.e. "What kind of pet did he want?" I would continue prompting until it's more natural for him.

What do you mean by "goes off the deep end"? Do you mean he says too much, or that he become really resistant?

Older ds tends to give you a second by second account. I struggled, getting him to cut back on his answers (some were longer than the actual piece he had read!). One day, I wrote his whole narration down without stopping him. It took me about twenty minutes and two sheets of paper. When I was done I handed it to him and told him he needed to copy the whole thing into his writing notebook :D The next narration was much shorter. Often, I will enforce a limit (three sentences ONLY).

As far as having answers that match those in the book, their answers are only suggestions. Imo, I would go with his narration the way he wanted it and then look the whole thing over and ask him if he thought it conveyed the idea it was meant to convey. If he's giving a good narration without mentioning the dog and sticking with 'pet,' then leave it alone. In my opinion ;)

What do you mean by "goes off the deep end"? Do you mean he says too much, or that he become really resistant?

No def. not resistant. He likes WWE most of the time. But he'll go on and on telling me all sorts of details and kind of gets irritated about having to shorten it (until I remind him that sometimes he has to copy his narration :tongue_smilie:).

I guess the thing is that he wants to know why X information isn't important to the summary and I have a hard time giving him a sufficient answer. Maybe because I didn't learn to write this way! :lol: In other words why is it important to mention that the pet is a dog, but not important to give the ages of the children? He gets irritated accepting what MY idea of important is vs. his idea.

Hope that makes sense.

But thankfully, overall he enjoys it I just feel insecure about how I'm doing it...

• 8 months later...
Guest Mimiflefodo

Can I see a screenshot or video of the track? I dont feel like downloading a sol and messing with loading it in right now -_- I might do it.