Menu

Okay, this is just sad.

For the past month, Tuesday night has been 'throw some frozen chicken nuggets and fish sticks in the oven' night. Ds has tae kwon do 5:30-6:30, and it's about a 20 minute drive home. Last year I did crock pot meals that dh would serve to the rest of the family, and ds and I would eat when we got in. Now dh has something to do on Tuesday nights. Since I'm really in no mood to cook at 7pm, I chose this easy, albeit unhealthy, option. So dd just asked what's for dinner, and when I told her she cheered! She likes frozen junk better than my home cooked real food? How depressing. :001_huh:

Guest kearley

I hear you too!!!! My kiddos are the same way... anything prepared, frozen, or otherwise "junky" food, they'll hug me, thank me, and everything else. My food... it's "oh, okay". And I'm a pretty good cook!!! (Adults like my food, anyways... LOL)

I hear you too!!!! My kiddos are the same way... anything prepared, frozen, or otherwise "junky" food, they'll hug me, thank me, and everything else. My food... it's "oh, okay". And I'm a pretty good cook!!! (Adults like my food, anyways... LOL)

Yes, this is what I can't figure out. Adults all say that I'm a great cook. The kids love some of my meals, but just endure many of them.

You are not alone. Mine are thrilled beyond words on the rare occasion I make them some junk food. It is a bit depressing. However, I can remember the thrill of the rare moments when my mother would buy sugar coated cereal so I suppose this is a normal reaction.

Mine love frozen pizza. Frozen pizza! To a NYer, that's like blasphemy. ;)

You guys are all cracking me up. I'm a NYer too. Any pizza here in England is just wrong. They actually put corn on their pizza. Yes, corn. I can't tell you how much I miss Vinnie's pizza.

It's because it is a treat. Something different. Kind of like if your dh came home and said,

"I'm taking you to Olive Garden for dinner", or in my house, when we say "breakfast for dinner", and they have the same reaction. Just nice to have fun, kid friendly food, instead of the same old, healthy stuff all the time.

This is normal! Kid's tastes are different, and a lot more sensitive than ours are. I think junk food (what I call a lot of this & what my dc would eat if they could) is designed first and foremost with dc in mind:glare:;).

That said, I have one dd who prefers fruit to Snickers bars, because she thinks Snickers taste junky. However, she'd eat fish sticks, etc, over many of my meals any day of the week.

I got that response from my older two children when they were younger. Now that they are getting older, and have tasted more good food, they like homemade more than junk frozen food.

My third child has tasted very little frozen junk food, and when he does usually makes a face. I was well into my "make everything myself" phase when he started on table food.

You guys are all cracking me up. I'm a NYer too. Any pizza here in England is just wrong. They actually put corn on their pizza. Yes, corn. I can't tell you how much I miss Vinnie's pizza.

Are you kidding??? I love corn on my pizza. Love it! I'll be sad when we move back to the US and I can't get corn on my pizza any more.

My friend and I were talking about this topic a few months ago. Our kids eat really well. Really, well. Loads of fresh fruits, veggies, fish, etc (thank goodness they actually like these things) and one of Indy's favorite things is Caprese salad (we eat this 2-3 times a week). One night we were watching a World Cup Match and didn't feel like cooking, so we let the kids have Ramen (shudder) and you'd have thought we were serving a gourmet 5 course meal! They were so excited and went on and on about how good it was. Ack. Indy gets crazy excited over the thought of having anything junky because it's a treat.

Tonight we're having almond crusted talapia, homemade scalloped potatoes and salad (he loves salad and will actually request it for dinner) and he'll eat it all and be happy, but if I pulled out a packet of Ramen or a frozen meal he'd act like it's the greatest thing on the planet. Sigh.

I guess it's a good sign that they get so excited over something like this because it means it's not something they get very often.

It's all that added salt, fat, and MSG. It's makes their taste buds go crazy. Of course they love it!!! I love it too! (Then, my digestive system makes me pay for it for the next 24 hours and regret it and I remember why I cook the way I do. Their little bodies just don't have to pay yet. Lucky little buggers.)

Last weekend was Thing 1's birthday and since he was having a friend over, I said I would make whatever he wanted for dinner (we normally go out for birthday dinners, but I didn't feel up for a restaurant with Picky Eater Friend). He first requested steak and roasted potatoes, but we've done that once with PEF - he didn't like any of it and ended up eating PB&J. Thing 1 then sheepishly asked, "Would you get chicken nuggets? The Mickey Mouse ones from Costco?"

I got the Mother of the Year award that night: chicken nuggets, tater tots AND onion rings. An entirely brown dinner I topped off by putting out baby carrots. My kids were THRILLED. PEF was okay (I think he would've preferred pasta).

So, yeah, there's dancing in the streets here when I buy chicken nuggets.

Don't feel bad. On the very rare occasion that my dc get Hot Pockets, you'd think I'd just returned from war. Don't get me started about Pop Tarts.

:iagree:You should see my children cheer in the supermarket isle on the rare occasion that I allow them to pick out a box of cereal.:001_huh::lol:

LOL, my children eagerly await their birthdays, when they get to choose a boxed cereal for their breakfasts. Homemade pancakes, cinnamon rolls & granola are so blah these days.

We're having a birthday here today and it's ALL about the PopTarts. I snuck in the Whole Wheat variety, however. My guilt is only slightly stunted :tongue_smilie:

My kids' favorite treat at Grammy's house is canned chicken soup. :001_huh: I find this just bizarre--I make the most gorgeous, homemade chicken soup. I just served my soup this past Saturday to two of dd's friends, and they raved about it.

When I was a kid, my favourite soup was Campbell's Cream of Mushroom (I wouldn't eat Heinz because mushrooms were in slices instead of chunks & I was convinced that I hated mushrooms!), and my mother is a fabulous cook.

I agree with the poster about the MSG, etc that they add.