Menu

Where do you have your email address?

I'm not sure I worded that right! We're trying to wean ourselves off of our Comcast cable. We currently have our email address with Comcast and we've had it for a LONG time. We'd like to give ourselves (and others) a few months to get used to a new email address. But, where?

Hotmail? Gmail? Where do you have yours? How often does it go down?

TIA!!!!

I switched to gmail when we went from Time Warner to AT&T as our cable provider. I wanted to have an email address that wouldn't change based on who we were getting internet service from.

The only thing that bothered me about gmail was that there weren't any folders. Now gmail has folders, so it isn't a problem.

Gmail is great at filtering out the spam for me. I take a look through the spam folder every day, but actual mail has been misdirected there only 3-4x/year. The only things that have been missed by the spam folder are the emails that just have a link inside.

I use Yahoo.

Never gone down, plus they have groups for different interests.

I created a google account using my Yahoo ID and have a calendar and documents and such.

I like my Google account, but never liked Gmail. Go figure.

Thanks! What is a google account? Is there an email address you can get through Google?

I've had an email address at Yahoo for many years. I've never had a problem with it. I use it during those times I don't want someone or someplace to have my regular email address. I signed up for Yahoo using a fake name and address, too, just to be on the safe side.

This time, this is what I'm going to do too. I'll sign up for a normal address I'll give to family and friends and another one for junk emails. I like the idea of a fake name and address too!

gmail. I've had it for about 3 years. I've never had any problems with it. It has minimal advertising (no pictures to load) on the page for a web-based email service.

Good to know. Thanks!!!

Gmail. I get so very little spam with gmail.

Two for Gmail! Two for Yahoo. Thanks!

I switched to gmail when we went from Time Warner to AT&T as our cable provider. I wanted to have an email address that wouldn't change based on who we were getting internet service from.

The only thing that bothered me about gmail was that there weren't any folders. Now gmail has folders, so it isn't a problem.

Gmail is great at filtering out the spam for me. I take a look through the spam folder every day, but actual mail has been misdirected there only 3-4x/year. The only things that have been missed by the spam folder are the emails that just have a link inside.

Does Gmail automatically set up a spam folder? I just know I'd forget to check it and I'd miss something really important!

Good to know they have folders too.

We had a problem 1 time with someone breaking our password. Bluehost was great about working with us to get it straightened out.

We do have all of our e-mail set up to download into the Mail program on the Mac which is similar to Microsoft Outlook. You can set up spam folders and so forth there as well.

We had a problem 1 time with someone breaking our password. Bluehost was great about working with us to get it straightened out.

We do have all of our e-mail set up to download into the Mail program on the Mac which is similar to Microsoft Outlook. You can set up spam folders and so forth there as well.

Okay - this shows how computer illiterate I am! We have our email set up with mailboxes through our Mac too. Duh! So, I guess I don't need the separate files with a host (is that the right word?).

I'm not sure I worded that right! We're trying to wean ourselves off of our Comcast cable. We currently have our email address with Comcast and we've had it for a LONG time. We'd like to give ourselves (and others) a few months to get used to a new email address. But, where?

Hotmail? Gmail? Where do you have yours? How often does it go down?

TIA!!!!

We have a yahoo email address. I have never had any issues with it.

My gmail address mail comes into my Windows Mail program. I don't really like webmail of any kind, so this is ideal for me, but I do also have a yahoo account for things like facebook reminders etc.

I love my google account! There is google calendar, google docs, picasaweb and so much more.

I like getting an e-mail from my google calendar to remind me of appointments, library books I need to return/request/renew etc. I haven't even forgotten to give my dog her heart worm preventative in months!

Which email account?? I have a yahoo account for stuff there. I check it about once a month. I have an at&t account for family stuff since we have DSL thru AT&T that is checked several times a day. I have a hotmail account that I originally set up for all my ebay business, when I was selling on ebay regularly. I now use it for any homeschool selling and for all the blogs and such I subscribe to. I also have any mail related to coupons sent there instead of my personal email account. By doing that it has cut my AT&t account to no spam because only family and close friends have it.

So, who will be your Internet Service Provider? You can't get the Internet without an ISP, which means you couldn't get Yahoo mail or Gmail or anything.

We have ATT, which was formerly SBC, which was probably formerly something else, lol. I use Outlook as my e-mail program, and my e-mail addy ends with sbcglobal.net. I also have a Yahoo account, but I don't use that for everything as I have to launch Internet Explorer first.

I have yahoo and gmail. I had yahoo for a long time but, idk, never really liked it much. Later I got gmail which I like much more. I now use both. Every time I have to sign up for something and they need an email or if I join some online group or website and have to use an email or something similar, I use my yahoo address. Real people that I know personally get my gmail acct. I really like it this way. I don't have to wade through a bunch of junk from lands end, pay pal, et c just to get to a message from my husband or friend.

Gmail here. Have had it since Jan '05. Never have had a problem. I love how it keeps all my messages together by subject. I LOVE the colored labels because I have poor vision. Really love the search option that works just like Google and the huge storage. I remember running out of storage with Hotmail. Love everything about it really.

We have a junk e-mail acct. that we don't download into mac mail. Every now and then we have to sign up to get access to something and will use this e-mail. Occasionally we need to check it if they want to confirm the e-mail address before letting us log in.

My dh is planning on setting up an e-mail acct. for my IL's who are having problems with AOL.

So, who will be your Internet Service Provider? You can't get the Internet without an ISP, which means you couldn't get Yahoo mail or Gmail or anything.

We have ATT, which was formerly SBC, which was probably formerly something else, lol. I use Outlook as my e-mail program, and my e-mail addy ends with sbcglobal.net. I also have a Yahoo account, but I don't use that for everything as I have to launch Internet Explorer first.

Oh - I know. I was planning to shop my internet provider around. Right now, my email address is tied to Comcast and we've had SO many problems with them, I want the option of getting out of it. So, I'll set up this new account and get the word out to everyone (ugh. It's overwhelming! EVERYTHING is set to that account - banking, Paypal, eBay, Facebook, etc, etc, etc). Then, after I don't use the Comcast account for a little while, I'll feel comfortable finding another provider. That's the long version anyway!!!

Oh - I know. I was planning to shop my internet provider around. Right now, my email address is tied to Comcast and we've had SO many problems with them, I want the option of getting out of it. So, I'll set up this new account and get the word out to everyone (ugh. It's overwhelming! EVERYTHING is set to that account - banking, Paypal, eBay, Facebook, etc, etc, etc). Then, after I don't use the Comcast account for a little while, I'll feel comfortable finding another provider. That's the long version anyway!!!

But how will you get to the Internet in order to set up this new account?

But how will you get to the Internet in order to set up this new account?

It sounds like she plans to set up webmail before canceling her internet, switch it all over then get a new provider. Pretty simple unless I'm missing something? You do not have to have e-mail from your ISP.

I haven't had e-mail (even though it was offered) from my last two providers. The benefit is you can switch providers and not have to go through switching all your stuff (ebay, paypal....) every time.