Menu

Themes to Remember, do you follow the "6 Year Schedule"?

daisychics

or should I consider buying the teacher's guide (is that the same thing)? How do you schedule Themes to Remember? I want it to be fun and practical. Is playing one song a day good enough? Please share what has worked for you. I'm the type that needs to see/hear someone do it first, then I'll know how to apply it.

Thank you

I was but I quit and we're going to focus on one composer per quarter starting next year. Right now, I just play Themes to Remember 1 cd whenever the kids want craft/play time at the table or I play Vivaldi since he'll be our first composer.

I did a schedule for the first year of the 6 year schedule, it's at my blog under Shared Lesson Plans

At the moment, we have only Volume 1. What I did for this year was just to spread out the pieces in the book more or less evenly across the weeks of our academic year, going in order from the beginning of the book to the end. Each week, my son reads the snippet of information about the composer or the piece, and then listens to and sings through the song at least once or twice a day.

In order to punch it up a bit, I also have him reading the composer biographies from Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (And What the Neighbors Thought) when there is one for the same composer. And he's watching DVDs from a series called Great Composers and another called Famous Composers. I try to align things so that he reads the selection from Lives of the Musicians and watches a DVD in the same week that he learns a piece by that composer in Themes to Remember.

It's working nicely for us this year, since we're covering modern world history and most of the composers are from this historical period.

primarily because my dc enjoy listening to CM in the car, and it's easier (and safer while driving :auto: ) to listen to the compositions in the order in which they appear on the CD's.

That being said, I do take her guidelines into account, and there are a few tracks we tend to skip because I plan to incorporate them later.

I spend two weeks on each composition. During this time, I read to them about the composer, and we listen to the the theme for that two week period whenever I think if it :001_smile:, usually multiple times. Once a week, we spend about an hour in the car driving back and forth to Kindermusik and guitar lessons for my dc, and during that time we listen to the CD's to review all of the themes my dc have learned so far.