Menu

Rightstart A or Mcruffy K?

scrapbabe

Which would you choose for kindergarten and why?  

1. 1. Which would you choose for kindergarten and why?

Which one would you choose? I can't decide between the two. Rightstart is a bit of different approach to math, and may help with higher order thinking. But my five year old is super rambunctious and might enjoy the more laid back, fun approach of Mcruffy. I just can't decide.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Edited by scrapbabe

Liping Ma's book and narrowed my choices down to a few that were Asian based math and of those RightStart was the most logical choice. It's pretty active--games based, lots of manipulatives, quick lessons with several topics, etc. McRuffy does look fun too though!

I'm using McRuffy K. It's working well for us.

Although I can do math, I'm not a mathy person and have no clue how to actually *teach* it. I needed a program that was very easy to teach but would still challenge DD.

Enter, McRuffy. The TM is wonderful. It is teaching me how to teach, kwim? The lessons are short and DD is having fun and learning (and retaining) a lot. Most days we're done in 10 to 15 minutes. I'm also using McRuffy 1 with older DD with similar results. They both ask for math almost everyday and usually enjoy the work.

As I write this, I realize that the reason it works so well for us is that it plays to my kids' strengths. They're still concrete thinkers who like to use their hands, play games and have some variety. It meets them where they're at developmentally.

Hope that helps a little.

Guest aquiverfull

Well I can't answer the poll, because I'm just not sure. A few months ago, I would have voted Rightstart. I've been working through Right Start A with a 4 year old and a 5 year old. At first they both loved it and begged for more math everyday. We were doubling up lessons and they still wanted more. However, I didn't want to rush through it so we slowed down. I started adding in MEP worksheets for supplementation. Then it got to the point where my 4 year old could no longer comprehend the RS lessons and she started to get frustrated. I stopped doing them with her and continued with my 5 year old, who was doing fine and understanding everything. However, the 5 year old just doesn't like it. I'm not sure why. I think mainly because she's a worksheet girl at heart. I've been trying to find more worksheets and gave her some of the MM samples. She begs for more. She told me yesterday, please give me a math test (by that she meant a worksheet).

McRuffy looks like a lot of fun and I think my girls would love it more than RS. However, I was drawn to the Asian way of Math in RS. I don't really enjoy teaching the RS lessons, I think it's the scripted way of the TM that bugs me so much. I had wading through it. Since they don't want to do it either, I'm not sure where to go from here and whether or not we'll continue with RS.

I have both. Out of the two.....definitely McRuffy. I don't think you can go wrong with that choice. If you choose RS it's like a 50/50 shot.

I got RS years ago when I saw these little kids demonstrating it at a homeschool conference. The way they could work the abacus was so cool. I have tried twice to use RS and it's just not for me. I do like the RS games and have kept those. I need something short, sweet & effective and that's McRuffy.

McRuffy is fun and colorful and my dd can't get enough of it. Yesterday we were playing the Raceway game again and every time she would draw a card she'd say the number and immediately add, "I LOVE MATH!!" and then move her car around the board.

I've sold almost all of my RS (still have Level B for sale) but kept the abacus, the game cards and the game book.

Personally my kids just were not into the way math was done with RS. Now for the right person it really is a great program. Just not us. I do know that once you start out and decided to keep going with RS (we used a few levels of it), that it seems too much of the parent/teacher is needed to get the lessons done. It is not an independent program at all. That was one of the downfalls for me. IMO

So, I voted for McRuffy. It is not a secret either that I love McRuffy.

To balance out the responses, I am voting for RightStart A. I've used it for two Kers so far, and they both love math and they both truly understand numbers. I found RS A to be light, fun, and effective for K - 15 min/day for 3 days/week. Almost every lesson is an activity which was great for my dc at that age. I don't try to finish a lesson, and I don't go completely by the script. I go where my dc lead me, but I make sure they are learning the RS concepts. My current 6yo loves to change up the games or make up his own math challenges.

Ya'll have described every thought I've had about the two programs. I bought Rightstart three or so years ago, but my kids would have been in level c or d. Even with the transition lessons, it was too hard to jump in in the middle of the program. I did think it was teacher intensive and super ultra scripted (and I like scripted). McRuffy looks like fun, but is it as solid as Rightstart? And does that matter at this age? Wouldn't it be better to find something that we both enjoy? I'm not saying we wouldn't enjoy Rightstart. I just don't know which to choose. Thanks for all the help. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Smiles,

Shalynn

Liping Ma's book and narrowed my choices down to a few that were Asian based math and of those RightStart was the most logical choice. It's pretty active--games based, lots of manipulatives, quick lessons with several topics, etc.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

The Asian way of teaching math is far superior to the traditional Western approach. I felt this way even before reading Dr. Ma's book because of the international test scores but after reading Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics I really understood the reasons why.

Right Start isn't the only Asian-based math program, but IMHO it's the one most developmentally appropriate for the primary grades.

McRuffy looks like fun, but is it as solid as Rightstart?

Ask yourself- what's the philosophy behind the program? What are the qualifications of the author?

Dr. Cotter, the author of Right Start, has a PhD. in mathematics education and the RS program developed out of the research she did for her doctorate on adapting the Asian approach to math to incorporate the hands-on elements of the Montessori approach.

I couldn't find any information on the McRuffy page about the philosophy behind their math program at all. It also says the author, Brian Davis, is a former elementary school reading teacher. To my mind, that speaks more to his qualifications for writing McRuffy's LA curriculum than their math one.

I did think it was teacher intensive and super ultra scripted (and I like scripted).

I think it depends on what you consider teacher intensive. I don't find RS to be teacher intensive at all. Here are the times we have spent for each level thus far:

Level A (K/1) - 15 min/day, 3 days/week

Level B (1/2) - 20-25 min/day, 4 days/week

Level C (2/3) - 30 min/day, 5 days/week

I don't try to finish a lesson each day. I expect that any math program at these ages would require similar teacher hands-on time.

Is RS ultra scripted? The book tells me what to teach and how to teach it, but it doesn't tell me exactly what to say. When I started with RS, I followed the lesson directions very closely. Now, however, I usually get where the lessons are leading, and I don't follow nearly as closely.

Ya'll have described every thought I've had about the two programs. I bought Rightstart three or so years ago, but my kids would have been in level c or d. Even with the transition lessons, it was too hard to jump in in the middle of the program. I did think it was teacher intensive and super ultra scripted (and I like scripted). McRuffy looks like fun, but is it as solid as Rightstart? And does that matter at this age? Wouldn't it be better to find something that we both enjoy? I'm not saying we wouldn't enjoy Rightstart. I just don't know which to choose. Thanks for all the help. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Smiles,

Shalynn

I haven't used RightStart so I can't compare the two. However, I wanted to assure you that McRuffy math is rigorous and encourages kids to think. Have you downloaded the sample and looked closely at the objectives? I was very impressed at how much is covered in just one year.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There are so many good math programs to choose from. It's a great problem to have. :D

I don't try to finish a lesson each day. I expect that any math program at these ages would require similar teacher hands-on time.

Is RS ultra scripted? The book tells me what to teach and how to teach it, but it doesn't tell me exactly what to say. When I started with RS, I followed the lesson directions very closely. Now, however, I usually get where the lessons are leading, and I don't follow nearly as closely.

Yes, I guess that's true. I shouldn't expect it to be independent in the early elementary years.

Im thinking of using RS too and Im worried about the reply that it is difficult jumping into the middle of the program. My 9yos would be starting on C after years at public school. Is this going to be tricky?:confused:

Sorry! I'm certain plenty of people jump into it in the middle. I was at a difficult time in my life, and most likely anything that wasn't simple didn't get done. :001_smile:

Shalynn

Liping Ma's book and narrowed my choices down to a few that were Asian based math and of those RightStart was the most logical choice. It's pretty active--games based, lots of manipulatives, quick lessons with several topics, etc. McRuffy does look fun too though!

Great, now there's one more book to add to my growing book list of "must read now".:lol:

Shalynn

Sorry, you can ignore this post. My son (5 years old) was looking at smileys and just had to post his favorite one. He was most insistent that we post this smiley!:gnorsi::gnorsi::gnorsi:

Tell your son that is a GREAT smiley. I like it too....and I don't see it often enough. Tell him thanks for posting it!

;)

I'm not very familiar with McRuffy, so take the following with a grain of salt, but my vote is for Rightstart. My dd is really enjoying it a lot and she can be quite the wiggleworm! As pps said, there are many activities/ games, and you are often teaching the topic from different angles (auditory, visual, tactile, etc.) which I find to really aid in retention and break up any potential monotony. I feel the way RS hits the info. from different learning styles really helps my dd..I'm explaining the concept in multiple ways throughout the lesson so if one way leaves her like :confused:, maybe doing it on the abacus, or with tally sticks will help instead. And it usually does. The conceptual approach is *working*. DD is not mathy, her leanings are more LA driven and she is making connections in math that I thought were way beyond her, developmentally-speaking!!

Also, I've always failed to see why it's called teacher-intensive in comparison to other math programs since, as a pp said, anything being taught at K level is going to require some teacher involvement simply b/c of the kid's age. I'll also concur with the time amounts given for completing the lessons for A, and my prep time is max. 10 minutes the night before to gather the manipulatives I need and read through the lesson as well (both of which you don't necessarily have to do ahead of time if your house is organized, unlike mine :tongue_smilie:). I am very much a non-mathy person and have had no struggles thus far teaching A (ask me again in a couple levels :glare:)

*My apologies as I'm sure this was rambling and vastly incoherent. I'm recovering from the flu :( *

I want to say I also don't "get" the teacher intensive label for RightStart at least not at A level.

Rightstart A is 15 minutes or less per day on math. I was there with them, yes, but I think you would be right there with the child for any effective K math program. I do no RightStart prep other than looking over the lesson right before we started and pulling out any materials I need. This has been the easiest thing I've taught in that respect.

I love the way RightStart teaches math. One of my kids loves math and Rightstart as does my mathy almost five year old nephew using RightStart A. The other child is not at all math oriented and in fact I believe has some learning issues in that area. I don't think he would like any math. But the way RightStart is structured in terms of short lessons with lots of variety in manipulatives and activities makes it tolerable. I don't think he would enjoy any math I could select but, honestly, even if he would love McRuffy I feel committed to using Asian math for him because I am so convinced by Liping Ma's book that it would take a lot (complete failure for him) for me to switch gears.

Edited by sbgrace