Menu

scheduled for swallow study t'morrow, now has fever

My dd3 is scheduled for a swallow study tomorrow afternoon. It takes 3 months to be scheduled for one after the referral is sent. It is scheduled due to her aspiration issues. She was grumpy today but ok. I went out with friends and came home to learn she has fever - 102.3. Her only other symptom is that she will occasionally say, "ow, ow, ow" but not be able to indicate where it hurts. No congestion, no ear pulling, no head shaking, and so on.

Gave tylenol and will treat accordingly thru the night.

Would you still go to the swallow study? It is done in a radiology department of a children's hospital. From the time we walk in the doors she is pretty much not around any other children until the proceedure is completed.

If she still has a fever in the morning, I would cancel, even though it takes so long to get an appointment. She needs to be in her normal mode to have an adequate assessment. If she were sick and had the study done, could you be sure the results were accurate?

I would just tell them about the fever.

I would also assume her fever is from aspiration, until ruled out. I would take her immediately after the test to your primary care for a lung x-ray - if they can't do one after the swallow study.

Thanks for the advice. She still does have fever this morning and obviously does not feel good. There is some slight nasal congestion now which makes me think there is an ear infection. I called the children's hospital and they said I needed to ask my PCP for advice. So far the nurse from my PCP is not calling me back and I can't get a regular appt until late this afternoon- after the swallow study. We (dh and I) have decided to take her on to the study. In real life, her aspiration issues are worse when she is sick, especially if there is drainage from her sinuses and such. Even if the study is not totally successful, it may be able to give new information.

Thanks again. I was just so caught off guard last night by this I had to ask for other opinions.