Menu

How has your schedule changed so far?

I posted a few threads on the schedule that I planned to do. Now that the school year is actually underway, I have changed it up a lot.

Here it is now:

5 days/week:

-Math

-History

-English (2 days grammar, 3 days SAT practice)

-Science (usually 5 days, but I used the VHSG schedule)

4 days/week

-Italian

3 days/week

-Music

2 days/week

-Health

I planned to have a daily schedule but quickly chucked it after I had to keep re-arranging. It was just more trouble than it was worth. I even chucked the loop schedule.

Now, I just do the work in the order I please, knowing what I must get done for the day.

On the weekend, I write in my daily planner what must get done that day and just check it off as a I go.

I can't relax and enjoy the rest of my day if I have work hanging over my head, so that is my motivation. A strict schedule with times just didn't work for me because we have appts (no car, so about 3-4 hours in all because the bus), friends drop by randomly, etc. It's just easier to do it when time allows.

I did Chem. and Math at 1 am one night and enjoyed myself.

So, that is how I have transitioned since April until now :)

It looks like a great schedule Stephanie! Sometimes simple is better. :) My dd does the same as far as getting her subjects done. She always starts with math and science, but does the others in whatever order she feels like that day. It sounds like your days are busy, but it also sounds like you're a night person, so that's a great way to keep on schedule when the daytime has other plans. When we need to be out during the day, our daughter brings some of her books with her.

You've done an awesome job putting together your first year of homeschooling!!! :)

We've gone through several schedules thus far. Something always seem to change. One thing I always seem to go back to is to set monthly goals. For October we've dropped a few things (that will be added back later) and we've beefed up other things. Also, I'm planning on 30 minutes a day per academic subject plus writing, plus "fun" reading. That is "light" but this is a very busy month and I will be returning to work part time. Working outside the home will be a huge schedule issue for us. I don't know of any real home school families that set a schedule in the beginning and stick to it perfectly throughout the whole year.

It looks like a great schedule Stephanie! Sometimes simple is better. :) My dd does the same as far as getting her subjects done. She always starts with math and science' date=' but does the others in whatever order she feels like that day. It sounds like your days are busy, but it also sounds like you're a night person, so that's a great way to keep on schedule when the daytime has other plans. When we need to be out during the day, our daughter brings some of her books with her.

You've done an awesome job putting together your first year of homeschooling!!! :)[/quote']

Thanks! I've really enjoyed all the researching and planning.

We've gone through several schedules thus far. Something always seem to change. One thing I always seem to go back to is to set monthly goals. For October we've dropped a few things (that will be added back later) and we've beefed up other things. Also, I'm planning on 30 minutes a day per academic subject plus writing, plus "fun" reading. That is "light" but this is a very busy month and I will be returning to work part time. Working outside the home will be a huge schedule issue for us. I don't know of any real home school families that set a schedule in the beginning and stick to it perfectly throughout the whole year.

I've added "fun" reading to my day as well. I usually did it, even without me adding it in, but I have a kind of quiet time now. No TV, comp., cell phone.

Looking forward to hearing of more scheduling changes from different people!

My dd does as you do. She knows what needs to be accomplished each day, and does it as it fits.

I wrote out a schedule for her to begin with the first week or so, then she went from there. She's ended up doing piano practice first thing in the morning for now, somehow it starts her day out best. She loves piano, so it's not a chore. She does that 5 or 6 days a week.

The last couple of weeks have been VERY busy finishing up a HUGE community project she and a friend worked on for 1 1/2 years, so her other work has languished some. However, she's doing MFW AHL, and they have a project written in to the plans, so it works out okay. :) We'll catch up on things like Logic later. She's actually ALMOST kept up, so it won't take long. The JOYS of homeschooling and working with a schedule that fints you! :D

In November she and I will be gone a few days right in the middle of the week, so she'll have to plan ahead for that. It's all good practice for college! Learning the balancing act is best learned before college, so you're better prepared!

Best wishes!

I forgot to mention how our schedule changed. When we first started, it seemed like a lot and a full schedule, but after a short time, it was obvious that she could do more. She condensed some subjects into a semester schedule and added a couple of courses. Like Brindee, if she knows ahead of time that she'll have less time for something the next day, she'll do more the day before to keep on schedule. That eliminates the stress of feeling behind and having to catch up. I agree that scheduling is great practice for college. :)

I forgot to mention how our schedule changed. When we first started' date=' it seemed like a lot and a full schedule, but after a short time, it was obvious that she could do more. She condensed some subjects into a semester schedule and added a couple of courses. [b']Like Brindee, if she knows ahead of time that she'll have less time for something the next day, she'll do more the day before to keep on schedule.[/b] That eliminates the stress of feeling behind and having to catch up. I agree that scheduling is great practice for college. :)

I've been doing this a lot, especially with Math and Science. If I get Math quickly, I just do 2 or 3 lessons instead of 1 so when I come to a point where I don't know something, I can spend more time.