Menu

What does a hot flash feel like?

I think I'm having them, but not sure. My skin suddenly feels warm and kind of tingly, and I get beads of perspiration on my upper lip. When I'm sleeping sometimes I throw all the covers off, then when the hot flash is over I wake up because I'm cold. I have no emotional issues that I've noticed- and I was an emotional wreck during puberty and pregnancy. I have only had my period every other month for about 6 months now (I'm loving that...)

So, what do you think? Hot flashes? I sure hope so, I'm ready to be done with this stuff.

ETA- I'm 47.

I had them when I was pregnant. My skin felt like it was on fire, tingly, I'd get beads of sweat, etc. Then, when it was over, I'd be cold. What you are going through sounds like the effects of hormone swings to me. Maybe the doctor could give you a supplement that would help ease you into the next stage? I'm not sure what doctor's do, typically, for people who aren't pregnant like I was. For me, I just had to have the baby and let all that work itself out in time! :D But, I bet it's worth looking into. :001_smile:

They start as you describe, like a flush. But when I have one now there is no mistaking it for something else. My hair on my head and the back of my neck actually become soaked with sweat. I haven't noticed mood swings unless they are from my periods which I still have. I also have them while I sleep and I can't stand anything tight or heavy to wear. I also need the fan on or I can't sleep. Sleeping problems like insomnia are more common while this is all going on, but I am not sure if that is related to the hot flases or what it is.

I went through it prematurely (at 37). My husband didn't believe me when I said I thought I was having hot flashes (the dr. didn't believe me either until he ran the bloodwork and found that I was POSTmenopausal at 38!). Anyway, for me, I knew I was about to have one bc it almost "rolled" over me- kindof like when you know a sneeze is about to happen. It's very different from just getting hot bc it comes on all of a sudden. You're fine and then BAM you're sweating and miserable! Hope it's over quickly for you!

For the medical profession you are generally considered to be in menopause after you've been period free for a year but that doesn't mean you can't have issues before then. I asked her about hot flashes because sometimes I wonder and I haven't had a period since Dec. What she said is that everyone is different in the way they have hot flashes. Some have the top to bottom feel and some like me just all of a sudden feel hot. Not everyone gets night sweats. Some people get irritable etc and some people just have hot flashes and some people don't have any symptoms at all. It is pretty common though that women get vaginal dryness. I like you sleep without covers or at least with leg out. I get warm two or three times a day. I have no other symptoms. She told me it is very likely that I will have an easy time but not to really worry instead deal with it once it happens, like she said everyone is different. The only thing that concerned me is that she said some women never stop menopause. They may not have hot flashes as frequently as they used to but they may still have them. There is no magical cut off date to say you're officially out of menopause. Oh and by the way I asked her about progesterone cream which many people swear by and she said she would not use any product that has a hormone it in. It can have serious side effects for you in the future. Instead she recommended seeing someone who is very knowledgeable about herbal medicine and let them help you find natural ways to help you with your symptoms. She said she doesn't believe in doing any hormones unless things just get very bad and unmanageable. She just felt like there were too many risks to the woman

Edited by Alyce

Yep, you are the age and it certainly sounds like one. I personally get a suffocatingly hot feeling in which I literally remove as much clothing as it possible at the time. Luckily, I don't leave the house much so I can easily strip down to my undies. Of course, as soon as it passes and air hits my sweat covered skin, it causes me to freeze. I have learned to dress in layers and just force myself to quit constantly adjusting the thermostat.

PICO, at 47, sounds like a hot flash to me too.

Mine started at 49. For me, at the beginning I'd sleep with a bath towel because there was so much persperation dripping from my head, neck, back that it would be drenched in the morning; then there is the insomnia because it wakes me when my arms and hands start to feel hot. Happens during the day too - yeah, layered clothing works. It has been six years now and I still get this but not as often. It still feels as though I've stuck my body from the hips up into a 400 degree oven. I notice that I also get irritable or brusque with family for no apparent reason. We were visiting in Oregon one winter and went to the Oregon Trail museum. It was snowing when we went outside the building to access another part of the museum - oh! I was so glad we were going outside. I had been having hot flashes inside the museum and stripped to bare arms. Dh thought I was crazy. I was the only person outside in a tank top.

I don't take anything to control it because the hot flashes have tapered down in intensity and duration. My older sister has been having hot flashes for 15 years now; she takes herbal preparations. I have a friend who is 75 years old who says she still gets hot flashes.