Menu

Question about Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading...

Jules in MI

I am trying to figure out what phonics/reading program to use w/ my 1st grader in the fall. We are using Sonlight Language K this year and it has been **ok** but my son finds it very boring. There is no color anywhere, very few activity sheets, etc. I really like Sing Spell Read and Write but it is so expensive. Is there anything out there comparable to SSRW that costs less?? What about SWB phonics instruction book? Does it come w/ activity sheets and readers? thanks for any info!

I am currently using OPGTR with 2 of my children and I do like it... but, you need to know, there are no bells or whistles, no pictures,it is black and white on each page. I will say , my kids seem to be getting it. The pages are not overrun with words -not overwhelming for the kiddos. We did opt to buy the flashcards ( one less thing to do when it's already done for me--I had them laminated) and I also purchased the magnetic board with magnetic letters and I am using it in conjunction with Explode the Code.

I recommend it...I have used many reading pgms over the years(Veritas-Phonics Museum, First Reader, Christ Centered Curriculum, Rocket Phonics, 100 E-z Lessons):001_smile: but I like the simplicity and ease of this.

Blessings,kathi

I just changed my dd4 from SL-K (LA) to "The Ordinary Parent's Guide"...and am SOOO happy. It really is not "fun" and flashy AT ALL (no cute workbook, no pictures, etc.)...but straight to the point, no fluffs and frills... I have the impression that my daughter learned more in 10 days than in the 4 months before!

HTH!

with no frills. That being said, it is a GOOD phonics program. Very good. My ds6 did not do well with it...he was much happier reading real books and picking up phonics rules as we went along. I plan to use it w/ my ds5 and possible dd2 (in a few months) just because I have it! There are not any games or activites. I've looked at Phonics Pathways b/c it does have some act. and games included to reinforce the phonics. You could always use OPG and add in your own games for reinforcement. As to something like SSWR...I'm not sure. If your ds did NOT like Sonlight b/c of the lack of color and "boredom", he might not like OPG. Good luck finding a good fit!

MY dds found the short stories in OPG to be funny at times. I loved the program. It proved to me that you really don't need all of those bells and

whistles to learn how to read.

IMHO OPG and a phonics based spelling program like Spelling Workout is all that you need.

We loved the magnet board! It was oh so useful and my dds loved playing with it. We stopped using it about a third of the way through OPG.

Gretchen

to ordinaryparents.com, it actually takes you to php website but it has some info about the readers they suggest for OPGTR. I'm not sure if this is the actual website for ordinaryparents.com or if I was just redirected.

http://peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=71

It's about half way down the page.

HTH!

We love this program too. It doesn't have frills, but gets the job done. We spend about 10 minutes on it per day. I mix in Headsprout.com, ETC 1-3, and Spectrum workbooks to spice things up and add some writing. I also have my 5yo read a reader everyday. He has learned so much and I know that I'm covering everything with OPGTR. I tried Sonlight 1 and 100EZ lessons and my older son did well, but I felt like we had gaps. Now I feel assured that we are hitting everything.

Good luck!:iagree:

I also use OPGTR, and love it. It is a thorough program that takes only a few minutes a day. It is all black and white, with no pictures, but there's a reason for that. They don't want the kids guessing from the pictures what the words are. My now 3rd grader would groan and moan like a sick cow whenever I said it was time for phonics in the beginning, but that was because of her personality. She couldn't read yet, and saw no point in working to learn when mommy could just read to her! Now, however, I have to tell her to put the books away and go play.

I didn't supplement with anything except the first set of Bob books and some early readers from the library, but you could also add in Starfall.com. It's a good phonics website with games and stories. My son loves it.

I'm currently on lesson 70 something with my 5.5 yo ds. He's doing great! For my older two kids I used Alphaphonics, but I decided to try Ordinary Parent's Guide this time since it's been so long since I last taught a child to read (10+ years). We bought the flashcards and magnetic board with letters. Wish I hadn't. We haven't used them all that much. I did get a bunch of readers at the state convention last year from the used curriculum sale. One set is fitting in wonderfully with the guide. The publisher is Mile-Hi, but I have no idea what phonics program they went with. He's 3/4 of the way through the 2nd book--I think there are 6 in the set. I'm keeping him slightly behind his phonics lessons in his reading to give him a chance to practice the sounds quite a bit. He's doing quite well. Have been very pleased.

We tried the Veritas Press Phonics Museum, 100 EZ Lessons and R&S Phonics before the OPGTTR. The switch has been great. My DD loves that the lessons are short and she catches on quickly. R&S was also a great phonics program but DD dreaded doing it each day because she's still working on her writing skills, she would know the answers but writing it all down made her lessons take at LEAST twice as long per day. We now get in about 3-4 lessons in 20 minutes or so (not necessarily recommended, it's just what we do) so we can finish the book by the end of the school year. It's also a great way to combine Charlotte Mason style if that's of interest to you.

We love using the OPGR! My son is 4.5 and he's doing great with the lessons. We go slowly, sometimes only doing two lessons a week with a lot of review, but he's reading! We just finished the short vowel section and now he's ready to read some simple books from the library. The one thing he doesn't like is the small print, so I just copy the sentences from the book onto a white board for easier reading. I wish they would have made the print larger for the child reading parts, but otherwise it's a great program. I am a former teacher and often wonder why I never had something like this when I was learning how to teach reading.

Now that we have moved onto simple reading books, I tell my ds that he's responsible for words he can sound out or we've learned, other words that are new in a story that he can't sound out, I just tell him. I think this reduces the stress and helps him to feel successful. After a few times of me telling him the word, he's caught on and can then read the book entirely himself.

Another way I use OPGR is in copywork. We are just beginning this....we've just learned how to write each letter and now I have him copy words he can read. I think this helps him feel so smart that he can read what he's writing. When he's older, we'll move onto different copywork pieces, but for now, it works well with OPGR. I know some 4.5 year olds are not ready for this fine motor, but my ds couldn't wait, and he's doing so well with it that we're just moving along with it.

Anyways hope that helps!

I use OPGTR with my boys and love it. I did three lessons a week in kindergarten and the first half of first grade. On the other two days, we played games to build phonemic awareness skills and build sight word knowledge.

Currently, my 7yo is reading at a second grade level and we are doing the blue book two days a week and the other three days we are putting multisyllabic words in a notebook from his reading and other subjects and practice breaking them down into syllables and sounding them out. He should be done my the end of the summer and reading at a fourth grade reading level by the beginning of second grade.

Jill

My experience echoes a lot of previous comments on this thread - it's a no frills book that is very simple to use and really works.

We used SL K too, and pretty much the same reaction to it. We did most of OPGTR pretty quickly - my dd already knew all of her letters and their long and short sounds, so we skipped the first part where that is taught.

We did 2 or 3 lessons at a time, and worked on them about three days a week. We never worked on it for more than 15 minutes at a time. She didn't always want to do the lessons, but since they were short we could get through them. We breezed through the bits that it was clear she already knew.

Once we had gotten far enough through it I added the Bob books, which was a good thing. It gave her "real" books that she could read to Daddy when he got home to show off. Once she saw that she really was learning, she was more willing.

We continued through more than half the book and up through the Bob books. By then she was reading so well on her own that we quit. I plan to go back this summer once we're done with SL K work and finish the book just to firm up her more advanced blends and digraphs, etc.

In summary - my dd didn't necessarily just love the book, but it was very effective. She was impatient with the repetition, but my thoughts were that sometimes life isn't fun and shiny and all your favorite colors. LOL :D She reads well now and I will use it again when my son is a little older.

My oldest was already reading fairly well on her own when we started so she found OPG slightly boring; now we are using it for the spelling rules and it is our spelling program. It is very thorough and she gets to practice her fluency with the stories. My next dc is starting from scratch in phonics and has preferred Phonics Pathways, I think she likes the bookworm :). We also use BOB books, but mostly we read out loud a lot from lots of different books. The single most important component to teaching anyone to read is for them to hear you read a lot of books!

Another way I use OPGR is in copywork. We are just beginning this....we've just learned how to write each letter and now I have him copy words he can read. I think this helps him feel so smart that he can read what he's writing. When he's older, we'll move onto different copywork pieces, but for now, it works well with OPGR. I know some 4.5 year olds are not ready for this fine motor, but my ds couldn't wait, and he's doing so well with it that we're just moving along with it.

I am using OPG with my dd4 and I don't know why I never thought about using the words for copywork. Dd is still working on learning to write her letters right now, so it will be a little while, but I am definately going to consider this when she gets a little more proficient on her letters. Hey! Maybe I could teach her the letters as they occur in the words she reads in OPG. Also, I have thought about using the magnet board and the recommendations of forming the words she is reading on the board as her spelling (kind of like the spelling lessons CM describes) until she finishes OPG. Then I could move into a more formal spelling program after that.

These threads are so inspiring to me sometimes! This is a great forum!