Menu

Using DITHOR with a 2nd grader?

jenL

Is anyone using DITHOR with a 2nd grader? If so, how is it going? Is your child enjoying it, loving reading, and retaining a lot? Do you like it? Pros/Cons? I'm all :bigear:.

I'd like to say I can follow the WTM suggestions for reading at this age, but I find we're not getting it done. I really feel as if a reading curriculum would hold ME accountable. I'm intrigued by DITHOR, but I don't want to start it too young and squash ds's love for reading. I do like how we can choose our own books, and I think that would be exciting for him.

What says The Hive?

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading....

Well, I did try and use it with a 2nd grader. Honestly, I think it's a great program, but he couldn't do much at all. He just wasn't ready to think those ways and it was not fun for him. I would end up basically telling him all the answers and eventually it just didn't seem worth it. I was much relieved when I read WTM and realized, at that age I don't need to do anything but narrations. And, I must admit, right now with my kids, we don't even narrate their lit books. They just read them. I occasionally ask them questions, but for the most part they just read and enjoy. They are good readers so I know they understand most of what they read. My oldest ds is hitting Logic stage next year and I will then start more of the lit analysis stuff with him, but continue to let my others just enjoy reading.

My personal suggestion would be to skip DITHOR for now and just enjoy literature together. There is plenty of time for literary discussions later.

I would say, one nice thing was it had us reading out of many different genres. That was good exposure for my kids and got me into thinking about different literature to give them.

Again, nothing against the curriculum... I just thought 2nd grade was too young.

• 5 months later...

I need to resurrect this thread...

If you didn't use DITHOR with your 2nd grader, what did you do instead? We will be done with the Emerging Readers and he needs something else to substitute in the reading box. Maybe just have him read some of the DITHOR book choices without doing DITHOR? Maybe Pathway Readers? Any other suggestions?

If you do not want to do DITHOR I would just get the level 2 books and have him read through them. My ds will be finishing the emergent readers this week. I bought all the level 2, and 3 readers. I'm going to give DITHOR a go, but if it is too much I will just have him read the books. They all look really good.

My ds8 is using it in 3rd grade and I love the range of genres he has been exposed to. I would never have thought of getting him to read the variety of books he has - and he has enjoyed every book! The selection of books that are recommended are fantastic.

The workbook would have been too much last year though.

My thoughts...maybe get the teacher guide (if you are planning on using it in the future anyhow) and use the ideas in there for introducing the different genres.

That sounds great! So I'll get the level 2 readers for 2nd grade, and then use DITHOR 2/3 with the level 3 books for 3rd grade. I'll take a look at the DITHOR TM at the FL conference. Where do I get the list of books? Are they in the DITHOR TM? Or is that what the $5 list is for?

Thanks!

My second grader, reluctant writer, loved, loved it!! It was the only subject he was looking forward to, which was a bit surpising! Mind you, we were working together on the workbook; he would tell me the answers, I would write them down in a scrap paper and he would copy. He loved the drawings and everything!!

I think the book choices are nice and you could get your student to read those, even without the workbook.

Well, I guess I am in the minority here...but I use DITHR with a 2nd grader right now and LOVE it. He does too! :) (My 6th grader also uses it successfully and has for the last two years).

Here is how we do DITHR:

Each day, he reads the assigned pages to me. He is an advanced reader, so I try to choose books he can understand, but that are still on his reading level. Right now, he is reading Jeremy - Tale of an Honest Bunny.

Every few reading days, there is a worksheet to accompany the reading. I do the writing and we discuss it orally. Today, he did some drawing and writing in the book because the amount of writing wasn't overwhelming (comparing himself to the character he chose in the book). Other days, I write for him as we discuss.

He is getting the great discussions as well as the reading aloud practice. DITHR gets more and more independent as the grades go up (6th grader does level 6/7/8 with almost no help from me at all), so I take the time to savor what we are doing right now together. :)

I need to resurrect this thread...

If you didn't use DITHOR with your 2nd grader, what did you do instead? We will be done with the Emerging Readers and he needs something else to substitute in the reading box. Maybe just have him read some of the DITHOR book choices without doing DITHOR? Maybe Pathway Readers? Any other suggestions?

I'm using it with my 2nd grader and LOVE it too! I actually add in worksheets because I feel there's not enough for this age level. If you don't want to use DITHOR, another option is to use their suggested book list and sub in "How to Report on Books 1-2nd Grade." This is what I used with my oldest before discovering DITHOR, and that's what I use to add on to the program. It covers all the story elements needed for this age, and has some fun projects for the kids to do .

HTH!

Dorinda