Menu

Math after Singapore 6B

Susan in KY

My oldest went to ps after she finished 6B and did prealgebra there. When she returned to hs, she did Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, and Larson's Precalculus.

My middle dd did the one month free trial of aleks pre-algebra (hated it) and worked through Math Smart Junior during the summer after she finished 6B. She spent all of 7th grade working through Kinetic Books Algebra I and Jacobs Algebra. At the end of that year she decided she liked KB better, so she spent most of 8th grade finishing up KB Algebra I. She worked through Jacobs Geometry next and is now working through Kinetic Books Algebra II. If Kinetic Books comes out with Precalculus in time (they wouldn't actually tell me if they're working on it or not), then she'll use KB for Precalculus. Otherwise she'll use either Lial's or Larson's Precalculus. I'm leaning more towards Lial's.

If my youngest would use a computer-based program, I'd have her in Kinetic Books Prealgebra right now. Since she won't use a computer-based program and needs a mastery program with black print on white paper, plenty of white space, and no visual clutter, I am having her work through MUS Prealgebra. I may have her work through MUS Algebra I also and then switch her over to Jacobs for a more thorough algebra course. I don't think she could handle Jacobs Geometry, so I'd probably do MUS Geometry. I'd like something more in-depth than MUS Algebra II, but I don't know what else I'll be able to find that will conform to her visual requirements.

My two dds finished up 6b last year.

This year I'm having one dd do Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1a/b, which is going very well.

The other dd is doing Lial's BCM. She's finding it very easy after Singapore (well, she is just finishing up the first chapter, so things could change, but it does look like a lot of review throughout), so we decided to supplement with the Key to Algebra books (I'm thinking we might just work through the first half or so of the books this year, no pressure). I showed her Kinetic Books PreAlgebra (since they have a $49 special for the year, I thought it might be a fun supplement), but she liked the look of Key to... books much better.

Next year the plan is to have the Singapore DM dd go into either Foerster's or AoPS Algebra, and the other into Lial's Algebra.

Edited by matroyshka

I'm not quite there, but we are getting close. Should be done with 6B in the next few weeks. I have, and am debating among:

-Lial's BCM

-Keys to Algebra

-NEM1

-Life of Fred Pre-algebra, both books and beginning algebra

-Art of Problem Solving Intro to Algebra and their two discrete math intros

I'm pretty sure Lial's won't work - it looks overwhelming with the sheer amount of problems and review in it.

Art of Problem Solving is the holy Grail for me, but I know she is not ready for it yet. We will have to run through algebra first with another program before she is ready for that kind of problem solving.

My current thinking is that NEM1 makes the most sense to start with. I like the way it's laid out. Simple and straightforward, but still challenging and moves at a good pace. And since it's Singapore to Singapore, it introduces all the concepts missing from PM that you would get in a pre algebra program. I don't have to guess what the gaps are. If we get stuck, we will fall back to keys to algebra and/or LoF. She is still pretty young, so we have time to try different things, or to take longer if needed.

I know that you are looking for btdt advice, and this is not it, but maybe it will at least give you ideas of things to look at. I'm also toying with checking out Jacobs algebra :001_smile:

If you used Singapore Math through elementary and switched in middle school or later, what did you choose for middle school and high school? Do you like it? Why or why not? What would you choose if you had it to do all over again?

TIA!

DS used Singapore from Earlybird through all of Primary Math, and then we moved on almost directly to NEM (just dabbling in other things over a summer first). He has done NEM 1 & 2, plus a year of statistics, and this year we've switched to Art of Problem Solving.

I liked NEM. It was a good match for him, but we have some extra time (he's young and generally moves fast through math topics), so Art of Problem Solving gives us more options. If it weren't for that I think we'd have stayed with NEM straight through, adding in the "New Additional Maths" to make sure we got through precalc and into calc.

If you used Singapore Math through elementary and switched in middle school or later, what did you choose for middle school and high school? Do you like it? Why or why not? What would you choose if you had it to do all over again?

TIA!

We're still in the midst of the decision, sort of. We switched to LOF after 5B. We've completed decimals & percents, fractions, pre-algebra biology, and just started beginning algebra. In between those we also used several chapters out of a Dolciani pre-algebra book (c 1972).

I plan to mix in some Dolciani algebra (either 1960s or 1970s) this year. I'm also looking at working in NEM 1 and 2 over the next two years. I'd also like to continue with LOF. Beyond this year it's still a little hazy.

We did some prealgrebra for a while, and then just dove into Art of Problem Solving's Intro to Algebra. So far, so good. Prealgebra is just a 'placeholder' for the most part, for students who have finished arithmetic but may not be developmentally ready for algebra (longer problems, more abstract thinking, etc). It is lots of review and practice, and a slow introduction to some algebraic concepts. I started dd with it, but when it seemed pretty tedious I gave her the choice, and she decided to just move into algebra. She will probably go slower than an older student, but she is learning new things as opposed to mostly review.

dd was ready to try something non-Singapore. I wasn't enchanted with the NEM samples, and I felt that the TGs for the earlier years were poorly written, so was wary of that. With AoP, there is a complete solutions manual that the student is meant to read after solving the problems (they acknowledge that many teachers won't allow this, but it is the intent of the program). It enourages students to think and dive right into problems where each step HASN'T been explained up front, and we love that.

If she had problems with the algebra, or if she hits a wall with it, we would use the general Introduction to Problems Solving books instead, and/or various types of math challenges and exploration of topics. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of pre-algebra courses in general.

//slight diversion// I also wanted to talk about Lial's BCM for a minute, which lots of people seem to use before moving on to algebra. I'm sure it's great for many students who need that solid review of core concepts (fractions, decimals, percents, etc), but I'm not sure that everyone understands that it's essentially just another prealgebra program. Basic College Math = student who did not test into college algebra because they do not have a strong foundation on the basics. If your student DOES have a strong foundation in the basics, there is no reason to use BCM or any other 'review' program. High school algebra or geometry is more advanced than basic college math, not less.

If a student does not have that strong grasp on the fundamentals, I am sure it can be an excellent choice. But I'm always a little puzzled when I see that people are using it when their students completed a standard arithmetic course successfully and with good understanding. These kids don't need it. If they aren't ready for algebra, I would explore problem solving books, math puzzles and challenges, etc. There are soooo many interesting math topics and activities that there is no reason for a student to 'mark time' until they are ready for algebra.

TIA!

Susan,

Let me start by saying we do two programs. RS is our main and Singapore our secondary.

I plan to continue Singapore in upper level math into their Discovering Math series. I won't use NEM only because I need answer keys and the last two levels don't have them. I would love to have the time to work the problems myself, but I don't. Discovering Math has more practice problems than NEM, and still has challenging problems, just not quite as many. The selling point for me is they have a full answer key written by the author with all the problems worked out in detail. :D

For our main path my dd will do RS Geometry with Hands on Equations for the first part of this year, then move into Kinetic Pre-Algebra. I plan to continue with Kinetic books math, hoping they finish their sequence by the time I need it.

Heather

We added LOF pre-algebra when dd was in Singapore 5A/B. DD liked it so much that LOF became her main program and I supplemented with Singapore 6A/6B. I thought that I would have dd do all of the LOF pre-algebra books, but she was getting bored, so now she doing LOF Beginning Algebra. I just added Patty Paper Geometry as a supplement (which she loves). DD likes LOF so much that we will continue with it through high school, although I will probably supplement with other books sometimes.

I liked NEM. It was a good match for him, but we have some extra time (he's young and generally moves fast through math topics), so Art of Problem Solving gives us more options. If it weren't for that I think we'd have stayed with NEM straight through, adding in the "New Additional Maths" to make sure we got through precalc and into calc.

:iagree: After completing 6B with my son in the spring, we started NEM 1 this fall after looking at LOTS of other curriculum. The only other curric. I like the look of is AoPS in terms of rigor. We may look back at that after NEM 1 or 2. You can't really jump directly from 6B into AoPS Algebra without covering some algebra topics first though.

Bill, Tell me more about Russian Math. Can you post a link, please?

Thanks.

Technically the book is called "Mathematics 6." It is a translation of a very popular and highy esteemed Soviet era math text. There are samples online. We have not used this yet, but I'm intrigued from the previews, the reputation, and reviews of users of Mathematics 6 here on the WTM. I'm expecting that we will finish Primary Math very early and this seems like a good "bridge" after Singapore 6.

Here is a link:

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

Bill

With my older son, I let him do Saxon for a year and then switched over to VideoText. With my much more math oriented younger son, I'm using Russian Math 6 (Perpendicular Press) and he's using a Dolciani book for algebra work. I'm not doing algebra with him, his Dad helps him when necessary. We all think the book is very sound. I am going through the Russian Math with him and I love it - wish I'd known about it before....

I think the book flows effortlessly from Singapore 6. It seems like a real continuum to me of the same sort of mathematical thought. It's working on different topics than we worked on in Singapore, but it reads similarly, the word problems seem even more elegant to me, and the problems are meaty.

Chapter one deals with factors and multiples; rules of divisibility; prime and composite numbers; prime factors; greatest and least common factors.

Chapter two deals with fractions.

Chapter three deals with fractions, decimals, and percentages.

Chapter four deals with proportions, including some geometry work.

Chapter five deals with positive and negative numbers and includes graphing.

Chapter six deals with operation of rational numbers, including coefficients and solving equations.

The chapters are lengthy; the book is almost 300 pages.

Here's a web page the includes a full index and some sample geometry problems:

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

DD#1 -- tried NEM1 for a few months. Did a bit of Key to Algebra (1-4 or so). Then went to Thinkwell Int. Alg. Then tried AoPS Number Theory for a few months. Now doing LoF Geom.

DS#2 -- did Key to Alg (bks 1-3 or so) & some Key to Geom (bks 1-5 or so). Then did Thinkwell PreAlg. Now doing TW Int. Alg.

What I learned. . . PM6 prepares for well for algebra, but a prealgebra course is helpful if the kid is still fairly young and/or needs some time to mature. . . The PreAlg was perfect -- easy, smooth, built confidence. The Int. Alg was OK but a bit of a slow slog the first few chapters -- which pretty much review all of PreAlg in 4 chapters or so. . . Going fast for ds who just had prealg, but was a slow slog (but doable) for dd who hadn't had a full prealg course. A Beg. Alg. would probably be a good fit as well.

I like doing a PreAlg by the publisher who you will use for Alg. For us, that was Thinkwell. LoF would be anther good choice if going w/ LoF for Alg, etc.

HTH

We did ChalkDust Pre-algebra after 6B. Neither ds nor I enjoyed it too much. The textbook is geared toward high schoolers which is too mature for my young son. But the book served the purpose of covering pre-algebra topics thoroughly. Looking back, I should have used Singapore DM 1-2 as pre-algebra.

Now we are using Foerester Algebra I (in chapter 8, which is more than half way through). We like this textbook much better (than ChalkDust). The explanation, the layout, and number of problems for each exercise are all better. If you research on the high school board, you'll see that people consider this textbook one of the best for algebra. While I like this book and think it will prepare any student to master algebra I, I find it lack depth and challenge compared to Singapore DM. I am still using it though because it follows the traditional US math scopes and sequence, but I have to use Singapore DM to supplement and slow him down.

I have Intro to Algebra from AoPS which I will use after ds completes Foerester Algebra I. I have not had much time to look through this book yet so I can't comment on it, but you'll be able to find lots of information on the high school board and from their web site.