Menu

dyslexia programs---how do you decide?

mo2

Programs I'm considering:

Dancing Bears

I See Sam

Barton Reading and Spelling

Rceipe for Reading

I really can't afford Barton, which is why Recipe for Reading is on my list. But I'm afraid I won't have time to pull together/create my own program, which I what I think Recipe for Reading helps you do. Dancing Bears and I See Sam look good, but it seems too simple, too easy. I know whatever program I decide to go with will be a gamble, but how to decide which to try?

You can use the I See Sam readers with Recipe for Reading. They are the only programs on your list that I have actually held in my hands.

Here's the progression that worked for my dyslexic dd (although your dd may have completely different needs):

Headsprout with I See Sam sets 1-4

Funnix level 2 with Phonics for Reading level 2

Phonics for Reading level 3

lots of work with nonsense words

lots of timed repeated readings

Rewards Reading Secondary

Programs I'm considering:

Dancing Bears

I See Sam

Barton Reading and Spelling

Rceipe for Reading

I really can't afford Barton, which is why Recipe for Reading is on my list. But I'm afraid I won't have time to pull together/create my own program, which I what I think Recipe for Reading helps you do. Dancing Bears and I See Sam look good, but it seems too simple, too easy. I know whatever program I decide to go with will be a gamble, but how to decide which to try?

I can't remember if your child is reading yet or not, can you refresh my memory?

If they are reading at least CVC words then I would honesty do AAS and add the I See Sam Readers once you get to EE in level 2 of AAS.

The problem I have with I See Same alone is it is not o/g. There is nothing multi-sensory about it. What I do love about the books, is they provide a lot of practice.

BTW I used Sonlight LA for my oldest three. It is based on the sequence of ETC, which is based on o/g methods. Basically it is incremental with controlled readers and it does have activities/games. What I like is in K they introduce ONE new sound a week and later in LA 1 they may cover more than one, but they still limit how much new material is covered. What I don't like for dyslexic student is the "grammar worksheets" are spiral and not mastery based, but you wouldn't be using it for grammar. If you are still learning letter sounds and learning CVC words then I would consider Sonlight LA K with the Pre-ETC books.

Heather

I can't remember if your child is reading yet or not, can you refresh my memory?

If they are reading at least CVC words then I would honesty do AAS and add the I See Sam Readers once you get to EE in level 2 of AAS.

The problem I have with I See Same alone is it is not o/g. There is nothing multi-sensory about it. What I do love about the books, is they provide a lot of practice.

BTW I used Sonlight LA for my oldest three. It is based on the sequence of ETC, which is based on o/g methods. Basically it is incremental with controlled readers and it does have activities/games. What I like is in K they introduce ONE new sound a week and later in LA 1 they may cover more than one, but they still limit how much new material is covered. What I don't like for dyslexic student is the "grammar worksheets" are spiral and not mastery based, but you wouldn't be using it for grammar. If you are still learning letter sounds and learning CVC words then I would consider Sonlight LA K with the Pre-ETC books.

Heather

She is reading CVC words. She knows a few digraphs, like sh, ch, th. We seem to really be having trouble with long vowel sounds. I have AAS level 1 but set it aside awhile back because we seemed to hit a brick wall.

I have been seriously considering buying the I See Sam readers because I have more kids who aren't yet at the learning-to-read stage, so I figure I could get my money's worth out of them. (I've been keeping an eye on All About Reading since it will be out in time for my youngers to use, too!)

Thank you for your input.

I interlibrary loaned Recipe for Reading. I am finding it very easy to implement. I have 5 older kids that I used WRTR with and 100 EZ Lessons. One boy was mildly dyslexic, he didn't read till 4th grade. This girl needed LIPS and lots of phonics type books to even get to a cvc level. I like Recipe for Reading because my dtr is able to take from dictation now controlled cvc spelling words and sentences. We couldn't get past the A-G section in WRTR. She has no visual memory for sight words. I think I am going to buy this book and use it side by side with LIPS. I also can't afford Barton now because she will have to do some vision therapy this year. She has very poor spatial awareness and as I mentioned visual memory along with her APD issues.

Another book I highly recommend is Helping your child overcome Learnign Disabilities by Dr. J Rosner. There are some great visual and auditory perceptual skills building in the book. He mentions Recipe for Reading in his bibliography.

She is reading CVC words. She knows a few digraphs, like sh, ch, th. We seem to really be having trouble with long vowel sounds. I have AAS level 1 but set it aside awhile back because we seemed to hit a brick wall.

I have been seriously considering buying the I See Sam readers because I have more kids who aren't yet at the learning-to-read stage, so I figure I could get my money's worth out of them. (I've been keeping an eye on All About Reading since it will be out in time for my youngers to use, too!)

Thank you for your input.

Long vowels were a problem for my 3rd dd for years. I developed this thing where I would take my finger and make a circle from the e to the vowel it modified. That gave my dd the clue she needed to read it right, but it still took a couple of years for it to click, just last year in fact, about mid year.

I would develop some way to quickly correct here, like I did with my dd, but continue on with phonics.

If you can stand bad copies here are the I See Sam readers for you. They were developed by a government project, and as part of a government project they are public property. Those who sell them with copyright have to make minor modifications to do so. The original content is still free.

Heather

You could also try the School Phonics Student book 1 along with Recipe for Reading for long vowels. The School Phonics books have some nice exercises that include nonsense words, and start with long vowels.

However, they use colored letters, that is distracting for some dyslexic students, so you may end up needing to make B&W copies of your book. It is only $8.75:

http://www.didax.com/shop/productdetails.cfm/BrandID/7/Sort/Item/Order/Asc/StartRow/1/ShowAll/No/ItemNo/1-58324-103-5.cfm

Here are sample pages from later on in book one, it starts out a little simpler:

http://www.didax.com/schoolphonics/studentbook.cfm

The transition to long vowels is a hard one for many students; even my daughter, who is naturally good at phonics and languages, had a hard time of it for about a month because we did short vowels for almost a year before teaching long vowels. With my son, I'm starting with Webster's Speller and he's having no problems whatsoever making the switch between short and long vowels.

Well, I am the QUEEN of I See Sam and then later Apples and Pears spelling.

I love it because it is SO simple but it WORKS. I have my now 15dd who has an IQ of 38 WITH LDs (huge variations in scores) reading at a 3rd grade level with these books. She is also spelling very well considering her special needs.

You can print them out for free to try but esp. if you have younger kids coming up, they are not that expensive to buy and have a great resale value if you ever would want to sell them.

I would suggest the I See Sam books sets 1, 2 and 3 (they have various names but do the first 3 sets) then add in Apples and Pears spelling. Do only 1/2 level per day if that works better for your child. Do a full level if they can handle it.

I do like the Dancing Bears as well but would suggest getting through the first 2 sets of I See Sam and then starting it.

I have met the authors of Apples and Pears and Dancing Bears a few times when they have come to the states. VERY nice people and very helpful---email them with any questions.