Menu

Uncle Josh's Outline Maps Book compared to Knowledge Quest maps?

Colleen in NS

I'm trying to decide what to use for logic stage history. We've used KQ maps all along in grammar, and wouldn't mind using them again.

Can anyone tell me details about what the Uncle Josh maps are like? Specifically, the 44 world maps....are they modern? Or do they go along with chronological history like the KQ maps? How are they the same and different from KQ? Do they have more detail for an older student?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found a comparison of the two online - looks like KQ has waaaaay more historical outline maps.

I love U.S. History Map Activities by Walch. It has maps from early American Indians, through colonization, the American wars, territorial acquisitions, Civil War and even into America's involvement in Vietnam. Loved folding the map activities into our U.S. History.

Just thought I'd throw that out! We're big geography fans around here and I love finding a good resource.

Lisa

I have both sets and use both. I use Uncle Josh's a bit more in the past couple of years because we have been studying modern cultures. I think you get quite a few more maps with Uncle Josh than with KQ. Both sets have their pros and cons but I have found that UJ has lasted longer in our HS than KQ has. KQ is really about history each map is labeled for the history to be studied and UJ can be adapted for quite a bit more and are labeled by region. This year we read Kon Tiki in school and my boys plotted Kon Tiki trip on maps from UJ set KQ was not adaptable for that study. However KQ has a lot more hand holding and history/geography activities. My advice is buy one set one year and the other the next :D that tho is my bias since it is what I did.

If you have any more questions let me know. I hope this has been of some help.

Yes, this was helpful, and yes, another question about the Uncle Josh maps - it's from my original post: "Specifically, the 44 world maps....are they modern? Or do they go along with chronological history like the KQ maps?"

Also, there are over 200 maps with KQ - do you mean that Uncle Josh has more maps that that? I thought there were a little over a hundred.

Thanks for your help!

Terri Johnson, owner of KQ maps, has written a comparison of the two programs. And, from what I can tell (I've only used KQ maps) the 44 world history maps from Uncle Josh are modern, one of the main differences of the two resources. Here is the link: http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/article4.htm

I have been contemplating using UJ, so let us all know if you make a decision! :)

Terri Johnson, owner of KQ maps, has written a comparison of the two programs. And, from what I can tell (I've only used KQ maps) the 44 world history maps from Uncle Josh are modern, one of the main differences of the two resources. Here is the link: http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/article4.htm

I have been contemplating using UJ, so let us all know if you make a decision! :)

Actually, I did make a decision (which is why I gave up following this thread when there was lack of reply). And, it was after I found this very review you linked! That review was helpful - it seemed UJ had mostly modern maps, and I was looking for historical to go with our history studies. Maybe someday I'll find someone IRL who has UJ and I can look at it. Until then, I'll be content with KQ, cuz it's easy and they are good for history.

Sorry! Some how I missed the last line of your original post saying you found what you are looking for. Glad you did!

Oh, no need to apologize! :) I guess my sentence didn't come across the way I intended in cyberspace. It was interesting to me that you found the same review that I did. :)