Menu

debit card compromised -- what do I do besides cancel it?

I found some charges on my debit card that I know I didn't authorize. When I called the bank, CS told me that my # had been keyed in and that they happened at 3am and 4am.

So she cancelled the card and when the charges officially "post" I can dispute them. FOrtuneately, it is only for $22 total.

What else can/should I do?

Thanks

When this happened to us (except it was a lot more money!), we only had to do what you did. The bank did the rest. They sent us new cards with a slightly different number, and we did get the money back.

I'd call the bank back and just make sure from their end that there's nothing else you need to do, but that was it for us.

When this happened to us (except it was a lot more money!), we only had to do what you did. The bank did the rest. They sent us new cards with a slightly different number, and we did get the money back.

I'd call the bank back and just make sure from their end that there's nothing else you need to do, but that was it for us.

Gosh, Donna. I am sorry that happened to you!

I did ask CS a few times...but I trust the WTM board more than I do the bank! I just wanted to make sure, KWIM?

Did you ever find out how it happened?

I had this happen a couple of months ago. I was advised by my bank to file a police report. The bank cancelled my card and reissued new ones and I had to go to the bank after I filed the police report to sign an affidavit stating that the charges were not made by us and also file a dispute form. This was all over a $5.xx charge on my card that I could not reconcile. The reason to do all of this is to protect yourself. I was worried that my bank account had been compromised and I didn't want them to empty me out. They usually start with small charges, waiting to see if they go unnoticed then they can proceed to take everything you have.

Even though it was only a small charge, the bank and the police officer took very seriously. They confirmed to me that I was doing the right thing.

In the end, it turned out that the charge was not fraud, but just a crossed communication error from a vendor that I used. So I had to reverse everything and cancel the police report, but again the bank and the police were very helpful and glad that it ended well. No one made me feel like I over reacted about it.

Hope that you get everything worked out. It is aggravating and like to drove me crazy, but you have to what is necessary to protect yourself.

I had this happen a couple of months ago. I was advised by my bank to file a police report. The bank cancelled my card and reissued new ones and I had to go to the bank after I filed the police report to sign an affidavit stating that the charges were not made by us and also file a dispute form. This was all over a $5.xx charge on my card that I could not reconcile. The reason to do all of this is to protect yourself. I was worried that my bank account had been compromised and I didn't want them to empty me out. They usually start with small charges, waiting to see if they go unnoticed then they can proceed to take everything you have.

Even though it was only a small charge, the bank and the police officer took very seriously. They confirmed to me that I was doing the right thing.

In the end, it turned out that the charge was not fraud, but just a crossed communication error from a vendor that I used. So I had to reverse everything and cancel the police report, but again the bank and the police were very helpful and glad that it ended well. No one made me feel like I over reacted about it.

Hope that you get everything worked out. It is aggravating and like to drove me crazy, but you have to what is necessary to protect yourself.

Samantha,

I had heard about the small charges as tests to see if they will go through. I was wondering if this is what is happening.

I don't recognize these things AT. ALL. Plus my card number was keyed in at 3 & 4 am!?!?

CS said they didn't have my checking acct #, only the debit card # so I should be fine. I hope that is correct.

What you've done is probably enough, but if you want to be on the safe side, call the credit reporting agencies and ask for a fraud alert to be put on your account. That way you'll be asked to approve any activity on your credit account, like 3rd party credit checks, and you'll be informed of any new accounts that show up.

Is the card that was compromised one that is ever handled by others out of your sight, like to pay a restaurant bill? If so, the card data and CVC/CVV might have been "skimmed" by an employee. If the charges to your debit card were local, that may be the answer. (We suspect this was how our credit card info was stolen last year.)

Alternatively, if you use your debit card to pay for online purchases, perhaps one of the retailers you've done business with had their database compromised.

I hope you know that you are extremely lucky! When debit cards are compromised, the bank account owner has limited recourse. Banks won't always be able to return your money. For this reason it is extremely important to avoid using your debit card in ways that might expose you to risk. For your protection, use a credit card instead, as it is much easier to avoid financial losses.

:iagree: Same thing happened to me. I saw charges on my account and the business names were in French. Apparently someone really wanted $500 designer glasses in Quebec. Fortunately the bank handled it all and the money was returned to our account. Sorry this happened to you.

I found some charges on my debit card that I know I didn't authorize. When I called the bank, CS told me that my # had been keyed in and that they happened at 3am and 4am.

So she cancelled the card and when the charges officially "post" I can dispute them. FOrtuneately, it is only for $22 total.

What else can/should I do?

Thanks

Send a letter, canceling it in writing even if you canceled it over the phone and have no reason to suspect that they wouldn't cancel it and even if the card isn't working. I had a credit card stolen out of my mailbox one time. They were running some kind of internet scam where there were hundreds of charges of less than $1. Anyway, we called the credit card company, canceled the card. They issued us a new card with a new number and then basically rolled the old card onto the new one so that we could use the old one and the charges would show up on the new one. It was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. We kept calling and canceling the card and told them not to issue us new ones but they kept doing it anyway, or simply not canceling. We had to work with the fraud department and even though we never had to pay for any of the charges we did not make, we still spent a couple years dealing with it.