Menu

Visualizing and Verbalizing, what do I need?

Per the recommendations on my earlier comprehension post' date=' I've been researching the various resources. Can I just use the teacher's manual for VV, do I need some of the story books, too? Please tell me I don't need to purchase the entire set.

Again, thank you![/quote']

It is possible to do V/V just from the manual, (along with a few ordinary materials that can be pulled together relatively inexpensively from other sources.) However, I can't answer if you can do that or not. (No offense intended.) That depends on your abilities and the child or children that you want do it with, and it also depends on your confidence.

Last year I "dabbled" in v/v with my now 11 yo old. (If he's dyslexic, it's mild.) That little bit got the ball rolling and I saw improvement in his comprehension. I planned to do the whole program this summer with him along with my other children this summer. One of my children has more pronounced dyslexia and language processing problems, but I thought all of us could benefit from v/v skills.

I got anxious about my own abilities to teach these skills. I worry alot about my own abilities to teach my son with learning issues. As the time I planned to start the program drew nearer, I thought about buying LMB's very expensive v/v training dvds. Then at the last minute when I was two days away from when I planned to begin and I had all the materials planned and gathered, I learned about IdeaChain on this board. I looked into that and I decided to go with IdeaChain instead because it's more scripted. (Visualize: a big chicken.)

I bought the older first edition v/v manual off the internet. That manual was developed before Lindamood-Bell had all the expensive, extra-v/v-support materials. I don't know aobut the newer editions of the manual, but the older edition tells how to do the program by pulling together pictures and stories from other sources. I had done all that before I chickened out at the last minute. I probably would have done just fine using the materials I had pulled together. Other people have done it, and it is certainly possible to do.

Edited by merry gardens

I don't know aobut the newer editions of the manual, but the older edition tells how to do the program by pulling together pictures and stories from other sources. I had done all that before I chickened out at the last minute. I probably would have done just fine using the materials I had pulled together. Other people have done it, and it is certainly possible to do.

The workbooks have the program essentials neatly collected under one cover. It's much easier to buy the appropriate workbook level and work through those. :)