Menu

"Life Management Skills" (Health) course variations in FL?

I'm looking at an umbrella school in FL which requires 0.5 credit of "Health-Life Management".

I've looked at Florida Virtual School for Life Management and found a fairly interesting course "Life Management Skills". But I also finally found the price for out-of-staters on the application form - $375 + $25 for out-of-country. It would be better to not have to pay so much...

Has anyone invented a similar course? Could I ask what books you used? or for any other suggestions you have to offer about this type of credit?

Merci beaucoup,

Joan

I haven't created my own. We just used FLVS but I can't imagine it being hard. Take a look for it in Florida's course descriptions and there should be enough information there to give you an idea on how to pull a class together. I've used their course descriptions before just for that purpose and they are quite handy.

http://www.floridastandards.org/homepage/index.aspx

Joan,

We have not used the FLVS course, but I would not pay that much for a Life-Health course. I would wonder whether the FLVS class is big on busywork and lean on content. The current course is a derivation from the older public-school requirement called "Life Skills." I would think that you could easily pull together some materials that you think are worthwhile while aso incorporating real-life skills used in the home.

Just my .02. ;)

Lisa

P.S. Because we are homeschoolers and not under any umbrella, we don't have to include any courses required of public school students. So, we've not had any experience with the Life-Health course.

Thank you Lisa and Stephanie - good to hear from residents.

So I guess there is no textbook that you know of that covers those concepts? (It's just easier than amassing material myself.)

The material covered seems quite useful and is a very brooaaad definition of "health". But then when people don't know how to balance their checkbook and become ill if they are in debt...there is a health effect, and so on. So I could understand why they included all the topics they did.

Thank you!

Joan

Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers by Barbara Frank

After the student works through the credit card project, the car project (purchase, insurance, and loan), the rent project, the health insurance project (who knows if this will still apply), the rent project, the food expense project, the utilities project, the budgeting project, etc. and reads a few books like The Millionaire Next Door, Your Money or Your Life, and Learn to Earn, they will have earned a credit and learned a few things about real life.

:blush: (blush). I have this book! (and forgot about it) and it does look like it could be used for a number of the topics and the rest are easy to find. That is certainly the cheapest answer to this credit problem.:001_smile:

The other books you mentioned are useful too.

Thanks,

Joan

If truth be told, after years of homeschooling, we probably have everything we need for last dc on the shelves in our house. Other than science and foreign language, we really don't have to buy anything. I think it's like that for most of us. We forget about curriculum that we bought, planned to use, and have tucked away. We liked it when we bought it, and it's probably still good.

Yes, I have created such a course. I posted in my blog some last year about "Middle School Essentials" you might find some info there. We have not yet completed the course as ds is still in middle school and it is a work in progress. There is much we have left to cover. I have taken the study skills portion and turned it into a class for our co-op.

I am also slowly developing "High School Essentials" for the next four years.

I will be glad to share some of what we are using, but I must get school started today. Please PM me to remind me to revisit this if I don't get back by the end of the day Wednesday.

Developing this course has been one of my "passions" over the last few years.

Togo - You're right about having most of what we need - though I still find new materials that look better than the old from time to time. My ds3 wishes though that his older brothers had been hs through high school so I could have gotten practice on them (as he watches his sister benefit from his experiences).

TechWife - I started to look through your blogs but realized that I'm not sure whether you are referring to last school year or last tax year. Any idea of the month? I'd be quite interested in having a look at what you are developing.

Thanks,

Joan