Menu

ideas for chapter book series to read aloud to a 6yo?

ChrisB

I'm looking for suggestions for chapter book series which we can read to our 6 year old (with younger kids listening in as interested). We found the Junie B books to be easy to read aloud, but we're looking for something of higher content quality. We're trying out the first in the Mandie series, but we're not sure if it's good for reading aloud, at least to six year old.

I find Jim Trelease to be in too much of the "read them whatever they like!" camp, or at least moreso than I am... I'd prefer our kids read great books. So I'm more inclined to Honey For a Child's Heart, but her lists seem more focused on books which beginning readers can read to themselves... I'm looking for books (preferably series) to read to her.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have boys but several years ago we started reading to them after dinner [they eat slowly] and it absolutely has become one of our favorite parts of the day. We have read the Narnia series, the Little House series, Caddie Woodlawn and are now on the Redwall series.

Good luck!

Celia

I have two boys ages 6 and 7 and some of the books we've read aloud that they have enjoyed are:

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

The Henry Huggins books by Beverly Cleary

The Penderwicks andThe Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jane Birdsall

Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White

Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors

I do a chapter book read aloud in the morning and then we listen to audio chapter book recordings in the evening. I do that both because some audio recording readings are just wonderful, especially some author's readings, and because I like to read our family chapter books slowly so we can get more involved in the characters.

My six year old boys have loved:

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Ribsy

James and the Giant Peach

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

My Father's Dragon and titles beyond (which escape me)

Thornton Burgess Animal Stories. We have read this set and my boys loved every one of them. We purchased and read others as well. They adore them. You can find them online I believe as they are in the public domain so you could try them that way for free and see what they think.

Charlotte's Web (one enjoyed this one more than the other)

The Railway Children (again, one more than the other)

The House at Pooh Corner (again, one more than the other with this)

I know there are more I can't recall at the moment.

Edited by sbgrace

Last year, when ds was 6, I read to him:

Just So Stories (a hit with him, for some reason cumbersome for me)

Li Lun, Lad of Courage

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

The Beast of Lor

Detectives in Togas

Little House in the Big Woods

and two more titles that escape me right now :)

In K, we read the My Father's Dragon series, which he enjoyed very much as well.

Edited by sagira
Added

Our favorites:

James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children

Favorite Fairy Tales told Around the World

In Grandma's Attic (and other Grandma's Attic books)

Five True Dog Stories

Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories

Betsy-Tacy (and the next 2 Betsy and Tacy books in the series)

All-of-a-Kind Family (there are more books in this series as well)

Charlotte's Web

Stuart Little

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Trumpet of the Swan

Beezus and Ramona (and other Ramona books)

The Light Princess

Peter Pan

101 Dalmations

Gooney Bird Greene (and other Gooney Bird books)

Did you try the Magic Treehouse series? by Mary Pope Osborne.

:iagree:We have found Magic Treehouse to be a perfect introduction to chapter books in our house. They have a lot of pictures and very engaging storylines. From there we have gone on to child adaptations of classics, Narnia, etc.

We just finished Mr. Popper's Penguins yesterday, loved it. Before that was Pippy Longstocking which was a delight for us all as well. We read My Father's Dragon last year and it was a nice first chapter book- as it had engaging pics and short chapters. We have loved almost anything by Road Dahl- although I detested The Twits, The Giraffe, Pelly and Me was my favorite. We have enjoyed many of the other compilations as well, Just So Stories, Aesop's Fables, Beatrix Potter and Winnie the Pooh.

I do some readaloud for lit in the morning- that would be things like fables, fairy tales, poetries and Shakespeare. After lunch we do more fun reading maybe a picture book or two and then part of a chapter book- classic one. Daddy reads for 30 min or so at bedtime and that is whatever they want - usually a picture book or two and Magic Treehouse.

Trying to decide our next chapter book for lunch time readaloud. I am thinking EB White or Holling maybe. Too many to choose from! I want to read Narnia in preparation for the new movie coming in December so I need to think and schedule that as well.

Also, another thought Trelease does have some less than great books on his lists, however there are also many great books on there as well. We went through the lists last year and really enjoyed most of those- save for the Junie B. Jones series. I read one of those and that was quite enough.