Menu

Selecting a Greek curriculum.

NotDaMama

What is your favorite curriculum for teaching Greek, and why did you choose it? We are exploring what options we have, and are interested in what others have discovered.

Our children are 9 and younger, and our primary goal is to teach our children Koine Greek for studying the Bible. Later on we would like to explore classical Greek for broader understanding of the classical works.

:bigear: - Thanks.

We like Elementary Greek (by Christine Gatchell). It's gentle and thorough, and easy to use; there is a textbook, workbook, audio cd, and flashcards available, if you want it all.:) You could move through it slowly with a younger child, or an older student could even do it independently.

The Biblical Greek 4 Kids site is great; I've been using some of her material to keep all my guys excited about learning Greek; it worked!

Edited by Zoo Keeper

I strongly recommend Song School Greek (for your youngers) and Greek for Children for your older one. Actually, I'd say to start off with Code Crackers before GfC, as Greek is more complex than Latin...honestly, my 13yo (who is doing Latin Alive) is finding GfC a fair challenge. Feel free to take it at your child's pace - if there are some chapters that need more than a week, it's perfectly fine to take longer.

I've used Elementary Greek in the past...it's ok, but a little dry.

My dd11 is using level 2 of Elementary Greek this year. Before starting with EG 1 last year, she worked through Greek Alphabet Code Cracker (Classical Academic Press) to learn the Greek alphabet. At the time she was using GACC she wanted to follow it with Greek for Children (same publisher) but GfC wasn't going to be out for awhile and she was just too eager to wait. She has long been interested in Greek and I'm enjoying learning along with her! I like EG because it's clearly laid out, divided into small increments, and feels "simple" to me (perhaps what another poster described as "dry") in that it doesn't have any bells and whistles. My dd's goal is to take high school level Koine Greek with Mr. Barr at Lukeion.org so that she can eventually read the New Testament in Greek. She just didn't want to wait until she was working at a high school level to study Greek, and I was pleased to find she doesn't have to. :)

We use Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek. We really like it. I chose it because I wanted a workbook format, the lessons are written to the student, and it includes just the right amount of drill and handwriting. I didn't want a program with alot of "bells and whistles". The lessons are presented very simply. They are straightforward and easy to understand.

We started this year with GACC and moved on to EG1 once we finished. We use Latin for Children for Latin, and it takes a fair bit of time each day. I thought Greek for Children might take a bit too long for our schedule, and there's only one level available so far. EG1 can easily be done in 30 minutes a day, and I like knowing we can just move into the next level next year. I have enough other research to do already. HTH

• 1 month later...