Menu

2yo and name calling...how to handle this?

This is the situation. My 2yo has been picking up the very ugly habit of name calling from her older sibs. Older sibs do NOT use profanity (thank God) but are constantly calling each other ugly names (some range on the silly while others are just nasty). So, obviously, my dear, sweet 2yo has picked this up and run with it. She will call her brothers and sister names like "stinky-head", "poopy head" (that is one we really cracked down on a while back, but my ds5 hasn't gotten the hint yet). Just now, for absolutely no reason and directed at no one child in particular, she started in this little sing-song voice, "You are a stinky head"! Often, she'll say things like this to dd11 when she's changing her diaper, etc. You see...it's not only when she gets angry or she's "getting back" at an older sib...she just says these things I think for the attention or whatever. My question is this: How do I handle this? She is mimicking her older sibs. It seems rather unfair to punish JUST my 2yo when she's only copying what she hears! Every time I hear something nasty like this coming out of her mouth...I just want to punish ALL the older sibs for their negative role-model, KWIM? Any suggestions on how to handle this? We've tried almost everything to curb this habit in the older dc to no avail. I'm honestly embarrassed to let them outside b/c I don't want my neighbors to hear this! Please help...I'm really at my wits end over this. Hearing such ugliness coming from this sweet little 2yo (and she is really the sweetest little girl) is heart-breaking...it's heart breaking enough to hear it from my usually kind-hearted older dc!

2yo has picked this up and run with it. She will call her brothers and sister names like "stinky-head", "poopy head" (

Potty/trash talk is "bathroom behavior". Each and every time one of my children or daycare kids at that age talked like that, it was a choice to be removed to the bathroom until they could stop.

The bolding is mine. I agree with Joanne - including the fact that you must be consistent with ALL the dc in the house.

I really have no advice, I'm actually struggling with this myself, but I think if I were to send my dc to the bathroom when they had potty mouth they would just giggle! :001_rolleyes:

Maybe it would work for you ds though.

Time outs for the younger dc (5yo, 6yo, 8yo) until they can calm down (sort of like the bathroom idea!) and then an apology to the offended child (and it must be a authentic, from the heart apology...not just a "sorry" through gritted teeth). With my older 2 (ds9 and dd11), the first time is a warning with a time out and spoken apology. If it happens again during the same day...they must write a letter of apology to the offended child and read it to him/her. Problem is...the issue remains an issue! Time outs might work to relieve the current situation but it's not teaching them how to solve the problems w/out the use of name calling, KWIM? For dd2, we put her on time out, make her apologize and reiterate that name calling is not allowed. In the past I've used scripture copywork that was pertinent to the issue at hand. Thanks for the new ideas, ladies. Any more?

We're in the same boat!

I think that my biggest problem right now is that everyone (including dh at times) laughs at my dd so much when she uses some of this language (her current fav. is "nerd pants"). The reward of causing laughter is so great for dd (who is the family clown) that there is no way to change the behavior thru correction or punishment. I am starting to "punish" my older two for laughing at her (giving extra chores), and I hope that once the rewarding laughter stops, the behavior will cease as well.

Good Luck to us both!