Menu

Can you suggest some fun reading for my 10yo daughter?

In the past you all have given me so many great ideas for books that my ds would enjoy. I'm wondering if you can help me with my 10 year old daughter?

I'm looking for ideas for pleasure reading. I assign required reading throughout the school year, but I'm looking for books she will want to read on her own. She doesn't much care for fantasy, historical novels or mysteries. I wouldn't rule them out, but they would have to be *really* good to hold her interest. Here are examples of books she has loved:

American girl (especially the contemporary books)

Pippy Longstocking

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The Whipping Boy

Tale of Despereaux

Regarding the Fountain (and others by Kate Klise)

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

I'm really hoping to hand her some enjoyable books to encourage her to read more both in terms of volume and complexity. She reads at a much higher level than most of the books above reflect--about 7th grade reading level.

Thanks for your help!

Any of the Shoe series by Noel Streatfield: Ballet Shoes, Tennis Shoes, Traveling Shoes, etc. The Gemma series by the same author.

The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright, and her other books: The Saturdays, Then There Were Five, etc.

Half Magic by Edward Eager, and other by him: Magic By The Lake, Knight's Castle, Seven Day Magic, The Time Garden. These have some fantasy in the way of a magic item, but they are not fantasy like Lord of the Rings, etc. They are a story that has some magic in it. My dc didn't consider them to be fantasy genre.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg

Also The View From Saturday, same author

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

All of a Kind Family and sequels by Sydney Taylor

E. Nesbit books, like the Phoenix and the Carpet.

I agree with all of Photo Ninja's selections, plus Pippen's the Penderwicks and its sequel.

My dds really enjoyed the Henry Reed books by Keith Robertson at that age.

Carol Kendall's The Gammage Cup and The Whisper of Glocken are excellent too.

The Penderwicks

:iagree: I love, love, love this book and its sequel.

Okay, so we're talking contemporary middle grades novels for a girl. Sounds like she likes humor sometimes too? I'm brainstorming here. Off the top of my head...

Someone above mentioned A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle - if she's not into fantasy, she might enjoy L'Engle's other series - the Austin books, which begin with Meet the Austins - though the strongest entry is A Ring of Endless Light.

Also, she might like Polly Horvath's works. Some are funny and others are more serious. She's a very literary writer. I especially liked one of her most recent ones - My One Hundred Adventures and the sequel, Northward to the Moon.

Has she read Cynthia Lord's book Rules? That's a great story. I'm in the middle of her newest one, Touch Blue, which I'm also enjoying.

Has she read Sharon Creech? That's some good stuff there. Thinking of her tastes, maybe start with Absolutely Normal Chaos or Bloomability.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli? And it has a sequel too, which I've not read, but I understand is also really good.

If she likes funny, she might like Carl Hiassen's books, like Hoot. Also, maybe Daniel Pinkwater, even though he's often thought of as a "boy" writer.

Also, she might enjoy Deborah Wiles, who just published the book Countdown, which is getting a lot of attention. It's historical fiction, but Each Little Bird that Sings is more contemporary.

And I know you said no fantasy, but I'm going to suggest two anyway - When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, which just won the Newbery and Savvy by Ingrid Law, which was a Newbery Honor a couple years ago. Maybe. Just bring them home from the library to give them a try.

In the past you all have given me so many great ideas for books that my ds would enjoy. I'm wondering if you can help me with my 10 year old daughter?

I'm looking for ideas for pleasure reading. I assign required reading throughout the school year, but I'm looking for books she will want to read on her own. She doesn't much care for fantasy, historical novels or mysteries. I wouldn't rule them out, but they would have to be *really* good to hold her interest. Here are examples of books she has loved:

Pippy Longstocking

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The Whipping Boy

Tale of Despereaux

I'm really hoping to hand her some enjoyable books to encourage her to read more both in terms of volume and complexity. She reads at a much higher level than most of the books above reflect--about 7th grade reading level.

Thanks for your help!

Have you looked at "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt?

Her resource is loaded with wonderful books!

our dd 10 has just devoured the warrior books, about clans of cats. she is rereading them for the third time right now, waiting for the next one to appear in november.

another favourite series is the roman mysteries, but they have their dark moments.

have you checked what chinaberry recommends?

:bigear: we're always looking for great new reads, too!

hth,

ann

Thanks for all the ideas!! I'm taking notes fast and furious! You've given me some great ideas for both school reading and pleasure reading...

Gingersmom--I think I'll add Phantom Tollbooth to her school list. I think she'd enjoy it. And I'd never seen A Whole Nother Story. Good one for the fun reading pile!!

Moon, Mrs. Mungo and Mary--so many great books!! Many of these are on her school reading list or books I've read aloud. Do you think 10 is a good age for Anne of Green Gables? I never read this series until I was an adult, and it's one of my absolute favorites! The Little Princess is probably our favorite read aloud to date.

Photo Ninja--great ideas! I'm definitely going to check out Because of Winn Dixie. Did I mention she loves dogs? And, she loved Tale of Despereaux, by the same author. We also enjoyed Mixed Up Files as a read aloud, so The View From Saturday might be a hit, too. We did a couple of the Saturdays books as read alouds, and she enjoyed them, but didn't really want to read the rest on her own.

Pippen--The Penderwicks! We haven't done this one yet! Added to the list!

E. Nesbit books, like the Phoenix and the Carpet.

I agree with all of Photo Ninja's selections, plus Pippen's the Penderwicks and its sequel.

My dds really enjoyed the Henry Reed books by Keith Robertson at that age.

Carol Kendall's The Gammage Cup and The Whisper of Glocken are excellent too.

Definitely going to add Penderwicks to our list! I've never heard of either the Robertson or the Kendall books. Thanks for mentioning them!

:iagree: I love, love, love this book and its sequel.

Okay, so we're talking contemporary middle grades novels for a girl. Sounds like she likes humor sometimes too? I'm brainstorming here. Off the top of my head...

Someone above mentioned A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle - if she's not into fantasy, she might enjoy L'Engle's other series - the Austin books, which begin with Meet the Austins - though the strongest entry is A Ring of Endless Light.

Also, she might like Polly Horvath's works. Some are funny and others are more serious. She's a very literary writer. I especially liked one of her most recent ones - My One Hundred Adventures and the sequel, Northward to the Moon.

Has she read Cynthia Lord's book Rules? That's a great story. I'm in the middle of her newest one, Touch Blue, which I'm also enjoying.

Has she read Sharon Creech? That's some good stuff there. Thinking of her tastes, maybe start with Absolutely Normal Chaos or Bloomability.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli? And it has a sequel too, which I've not read, but I understand is also really good.

If she likes funny, she might like Carl Hiassen's books, like Hoot. Also, maybe Daniel Pinkwater, even though he's often thought of as a "boy" writer.

Also, she might enjoy Deborah Wiles, who just published the book Countdown, which is getting a lot of attention. It's historical fiction, but Each Little Bird that Sings is more contemporary.

And I know you said no fantasy, but I'm going to suggest two anyway - When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, which just won the Newbery and Savvy by Ingrid Law, which was a Newbery Honor a couple years ago. Maybe. Just bring them home from the library to give them a try.

One more thought... sounds like she does really like funny books. How about Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken. We just finished that as a read aloud in our house and I loved it more than I've loved anything I've read recently.

Oh so many good leads here! Thanks for all the ideas--so many of these books are new to me! Yes, I think you have nailed it--she really likes humor. Arabel's Raven looks right up her alley, and I'm thinking she might like Deborah Wiles' books, too! I'd looked at a couple of Polly Horvath's works earlier today on Amazon, so I was glad to read your endorsement. I really appreciate your detailed reply, and I'll be checking out all the other books you listed.

Love your blog, too!! I'll definitely be subscribing!!

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman by Adrienne Kress was so funny! Even my son enjoyed it!

Right now my DN is enjoying Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos - it has an Ancient Egypt tie in which really gets her interested.

Two more books I'd never heard of! Thank you!

probably a little under her level,but a book just for fun every now and then couldn't hurt---does she like dogs? we found the JACK RUSSELL DOG DETECTIVE books on usbourne....my son love them....they have other things too-great place for books!

Yes!! She loves dogs! Will be looking for these, too!

Have you looked at "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt?

Her resource is loaded with wonderful books!

our dd 10 has just devoured the warrior books, about clans of cats. she is rereading them for the third time right now, waiting for the next one to appear in november.

another favourite series is the roman mysteries, but they have their dark moments.

have you checked what chinaberry recommends?

:bigear: we're always looking for great new reads, too!

hth,

ann

I have looked at Gladys Hunt's book, and it is a wonderful resource! I used to have the Chinaberry book around here, but I think I may have given it away. Do they have a website? I'll have to google that one.

I just looked up the Warrior Cats series on Amazon. I think she'd like this series too. Thinking this through a bit, I think she enjoys humor and books about dogs and cats. Starting to see a pattern here. :D

Thanks for the replies! I hope you find some new books, too, Ann!

Edited by ssexton

Just remembered some that I just adored at about that age: Joan Aiken's Dido Twite series. The first one is called The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and there are quite a few books in the series. They are sort of darkly humorous. Nothing really nasty, but some "evil stepmother" types who always get their comeuppance. They take place in an alternate history where there's a King James III. Anyway, check them out. She's a marvy writer. :)

I just looked up the Warrior Cats series on Amazon. I think she'd like this series too. Thinking this through a bit, I think she enjoys humor and books about dogs and cats. Starting to see a pattern here. :D

Thanks for the replies! I hope you find some new books, too, Ann!

dogs and humour = one of our favourites:

Farley Mowat's "the dog who wouldn't be".

there is also his "owls in the family" and many more.

:bigear:

ann

Pippy Longstocking

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

The Whipping Boy

Tale of Despereaux

Thanks for your help!

Redwall series

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwiler (sp)

Betsy-Tacy, especially as she starts getting older

Black Beauty

Anne of Green Gables

Caddie Woodlawn

Dealing with Dragons (fantasy, but almost a spoof on the fairy tale genre)

Understood Betsy (We liked this far more than I expected)

Cheaper by the Dozen

Agreeing with many of the previous posts, although I haven't even read them all yet.

These have also been some of our (and dd's favorites). You asked for fun reading and these are all fun. :D

* The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World series - absolutely fabulous!

mgs002.dd.gif

* The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett - but you really do want to get the nice illustrated version

* Humphrey the Hamster series

* Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

* Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - not necessarily fun, just a beautiful story

* Indian in the Cupboard

* Harry, the Poisonous Centipede

One more thought... sounds like she does really like funny books. How about Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken. We just finished that as a read aloud in our house and I loved it more than I've loved anything I've read recently.

We really loved these books. "Nevermore!" :lol:

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman by Adrienne Kress was so funny! Even my son enjoyed it!

Right now my DN is enjoying Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos - it has an Ancient Egypt tie in which really gets her interested.

These look really interesting.

I'm enjoying this thread. For the most part, when it comes to read-alouds especially, we love fun and humor. :D

Time at the Top and All in Good Time were fun. :-)

There's also Understood Betsy.

The Little White Horse may or may not be "fun," but it's awfully good.

101 Dalmations (not Disney) is good, as is The Rescuers (series, NOT Disney).

Ellie, we read Time at the Top after learning about it here! We enjoyed it very much. And Understood Betsy--what a lovely book! I'm going to look at the 101 Dalmations and The Rescuers. I know they aren't Disney, but the fact that there is a Disney version might just peek her interest enough to give them a try. And, I'm sure they would be so much better than the Disney version!

Just remembered some that I just adored at about that age: Joan Aiken's Dido Twite series. The first one is called The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and there are quite a few books in the series. They are sort of darkly humorous. Nothing really nasty, but some "evil stepmother" types who always get their comeuppance. They take place in an alternate history where there's a King James III. Anyway, check them out. She's a marvy writer. :)

Oh....I've heard of this series, but never looked at it closely!! Sounds great--adding to the list! Thanks!

My dd10 loved the three Mysterious Benedict Society books.

I have this one somewhere around the house. Thank you!

Agreeing with many of the previous posts, although I haven't even read them all yet.

These have also been some of our (and dd's favorites). You asked for fun reading and these are all fun. :D

* The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World series - absolutely fabulous!

* The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett - but you really do want to get the nice illustrated version

* Humphrey the Hamster series

* Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

* Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - not necessarily fun, just a beautiful story

* Indian in the Cupboard

* Harry, the Poisonous Centipede

Thank you so much! Just requested a couple of these from pbs, and added the others to our library list!

If she likes dogs and other animals she may like reading Dick King Smith. My dds like reading his books for fun.

Just looked at this author on Amazon. I think she would love many of his books!! What a great find! Thank you!

dogs and humour = one of our favourites:

Farley Mowat's "the dog who wouldn't be".

there is also his "owls in the family" and many more.

:bigear:

ann

Ann, we loved Owls in the Family! I didn't think to look for more books by him! Perfect!

My kids and I all loved Scones and Sensibility by Lindsay Eland. We read it out loud to each other and it's very funny. It's contemporary, but the main character longs for a more romantic time, so she tried to speak and sort of dress like a character out of Jane Austin's books, all while she is playing matchmaker for her older sister and various other people.

Redwall series

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwiler (sp)

Betsy-Tacy, especially as she starts getting older

Black Beauty

Anne of Green Gables

Caddie Woodlawn

Dealing with Dragons (fantasy, but almost a spoof on the fairy tale genre)

Understood Betsy (We liked this far more than I expected)

Cheaper by the Dozen

Sebastian, it looks like we have similar tastes! We've done many of these as read alouds. Cheaper by the Dozen is one of my ds11's favorite books. I'm looking at Dealing with Dragons. It looks interesting, and it might stretch her interests a little. Thanks!!