Menu

Have shipping times slowed down?

I've placed 2 orders this past week for in stock items from 2 different stores. Both stores offered free shipping. The shipping times for 1 store is 10-14 days and the other 10-12. Now, expedited (non-free shipping) is, of course, quicker, but it is not free, nor is it cheap.

So, I'm wondering is this a sign of things to come as the holidays approach? Free shipping that is slower, or expedited shipping that is (IMHO) expensive?

One thing I ordered was a pair of capris for dd. I would like to get them this week, but I did not want to pay the additional $10 to be sure I'd get them by Sat. Guess I better plan ahead better.........

We have found that some companies (like Amazon) will claim that an item will not be shipped for ten days initially, but then it arrives (as if by magic!) within two or three days. One wonders if the threat of delayed shipping will cause some customers to pay postage.

I do think that around the holidays it can be more difficult to have packages delivered expeditiously going the free route. In December, free shipping can be a gamble--depending on the company.

Regarding my own shipping: I have sent out several things recently using the flat rate priority mail boxes of the US Postal service. They have been delivered within two days.

I wish more companies would use flat-rate shipping. I *know* 2 of my recent curricula orders would have fit in a flat-rate box for $10-15. Why are my only two choices $10 book rate (because it's not that cheap to Hawaii) and $40 UPS? That's absurd.

I hear you. I love the flat rate shipping boxes which I use to send goodies to my son who is a first year college student. The weight does not matter. I also shipped a box of fabric and yarn to the IBOL (Iraqi Bundles of Love) project. Just $12.50 to an APO! What a deal for that box of denim, etc.!

I don't think companies stating it will be 10-14 days is a ploy to get people to pay more for expedited shipping. I think it's to cover themselves in case things get delayed due to increased packages in the system or weather delays etc.

I do wish more places would use USPS priority or priority flat rate, because then most times you get a tracking number and a lot of times it's not that much more than first class package, parcel post or media mail.

Weird. I was just going to start a thread about how fast things have been coming to me lately.

Do you remember the olden days when EVERYTHING said, "Allow 6-8 weeks for shipping." That was back when you would mail in a form asking for your items and pay by check. (Like...in the 80's.)

Weird. I was just going to start a thread about how fast things have been coming to me lately.

A set of books I ordered on the tenth of September arrived yesterday. That's just over 3 weeks. Granted, it's faster than the pony express, but priority flat rate would have been much faster. ;)

We have found that some companies (like Amazon) will claim that an item will not be shipped for ten days initially, but then it arrives (as if by magic!) within two or three days. One wonders if the threat of delayed shipping will cause some customers to pay postage.

I have found this, too. I did go ahead and pay for shipping an iPod on Sept. 16th....the last tracking info the *(%^*& Postal Service has is Sept. 21. So I contacted Amazon and they sent another iPod overnight FedEx (free, of course).

Irony is I paid for shipping hoping Amazon would use UPS - I have had stuff sent via Postal Service stolen in transit before,too. :-( I wish Amazon would let one select the shipper - I'd spring an extra buck or two to use UPS anyday!

Irony is I paid for shipping hoping Amazon would use UPS - I have had stuff sent via Postal Service stolen in transit before,too. :-( I wish Amazon would let one select the shipper - I'd spring an extra buck or two to use UPS anyday!

This is why I have Amazon Prime which gives me 2 day shipping free, because of that they always send it UPS or Fed Ex since it's the only way they can guarantee it will take 2 days.