Menu

If you have had your thyroid surgically removed

I had 1/2 of mine removed at 15 years old. I don't remember having trouble speaking once my throat healed from the breathing tube. I know that sometimes they can hurt your voice box while they're in there. Everything is so close in that area. So, I would say, you should be able to talk normal in less than a week.

Beth

My sister just had half her thyroid removed a couple of weeks ago. She was already speaking normally in the hospital room later that same day. I think she was speaking a little more softly, but really she had no speaking problems (nor much of a sore throat) afterward.

had hers removed about 17 yrs ago and her voice never went back to normal. She loved to sing and was devistated. She never could sing soprano since :crying: Her voice has never sounded the same since.

Hope this isn't the case for your friend, but it sounds like her vocal cords were damaged. Thats what happened with mom.