Menu

s/o getting rid of cable

For those of you who use Hulu, do you watch it on a TV or on a computer? Can you watch Hulu through the Wii?

For those of you who say you don't have a TV but use Hulu or Netflix do you watch your movies/shows on your computer?

I am curious because I would like to get rid of cable and am trying to determine our alternatives.

I have never had cable, and don't own a TV. I watch one program on hulu on my laptop, and get DVDs from the library, which I also watch on my laptop.

(ETA: As of Friday last, I am now car-free. Yesterday when I was riding my bike to work and then to the library, I thought of you and your turtle find last summer. Are you still teaching and riding your bike?)

Edited by Nicole M

Primarily I watch Hulu on my computer, but I'm on my first month of trying Hulu Plus ($10 a month), so I can watch on my phone/iPad. (Don't have a TV.) With Hulu Plus, there seem to be a few ways to watch on a TV, but I obviously haven't tried them. I will say I've been very impressed with the app on my phone, and I think it will end up being worth the $10 a month for me.

Sometimes I watch Hulu on TV by hooking my laptop up to the big screen with HDMI cables especially if DH is watching. But if it is just me, I'll watch it on the computer. You can do this easily by using the dual screen option on your PC.

We stream Netflix through the X-box. And we use the X-box as the DVD player if we watch movies. Hulu is going to be offered through X-box in 2011 which means other gaming systems will no doubt follow. Here's the list of devices that run Hulu directly or will be running Hulu in the future: http://www.hulu.com/plus#devices

We don't have cable or anything, but we watch almost several shows online. We do watch a majority of it on the tv, though, using a program called PlayOn that works through the Wii, similar to how Netflix works through the Wii. It cost about $20, but we can watch most anything online through it, including Netflix, CBS, Hulu, etc. It was a bit tricky to get the hang of, but once I figured it out, it's very easy.

We/I watch Modern Family & Glee on Hulu when I think about it, Netflix and some movies on my laptop. The kids watch DVD movies on a small TV, but I am planning to get an actual TV screen soon to put above my fireplace. I want to sit on the sofa, knit, and watch TV on cold nights. I want more pixels, a bigger screen. I also want cable. I want the Food Network...I want it all. I have been low tech nearly my whole life and it's getting old. :D Laptops simply do not do some films justice.

Edited by LibraryLover

We don't watch tv at all, but we do have Netflix and stream "protein movies" (science, history, etc.) on the computer for the kids while I make dinner. We also bought a used projector from Craigslist ($200), and bought a pull-down window shade for the wall. Once a week we watch a family "treat movie" on big screen. Pretty fun!

I thought about getting rid of cable and going to a just Hulu/Netflix system. The kids and my love of the Tivo are what's stopping me. Also, we get our internet through Comcast and the cost for both packaged together means the cable's not that expensive... though it's still definitely something.

We do hook up the RGB cables to watch the computer via the TV. We actually don't have a DVD player and I had to do this for my kids' sleepover the other day. The parents present were all a little baffled by how I plugged in the computer and the speakers in short order and suddenly the movie was on the big flat screen.

I thought about getting rid of cable and going to a just Hulu/Netflix system. The kids and my love of the Tivo are what's stopping me. Also, we get our internet through Comcast and the cost for both packaged together means the cable's not that expensive... though it's still definitely something.

We do hook up the RGB cables to watch the computer via the TV. We actually don't have a DVD player and I had to do this for my kids' sleepover the other day. The parents present were all a little baffled by how I plugged in the computer and the speakers in short order and suddenly the movie was on the big flat screen.

I'm in the same situation with Comcast. I simply don't hook the cable to the TV. In fact, I moved the TV cabinet to another wall. I think it's ridiculous how Comcast sets their pricing, but it's cheaper to have their package deal and just not use it than to cancel it. I only use Netflix and Hulu for our tv watching.

Primarily I watch Hulu on my computer, but I'm on my first month of trying Hulu Plus ($10 a month), so I can watch on my phone/iPad. (Don't have a TV.) With Hulu Plus, there seem to be a few ways to watch on a TV, but I obviously haven't tried them. I will say I've been very impressed with the app on my phone, and I think it will end up being worth the $10 a month for me.

It's worth $10/month for me to be able to watch Law & Order SVU, lol

We just went to Best Buy today after church to research this. We want to watch hulu on the tv instead of all of us crowding around the computer. They said it will work through a blu ray dvd player. Suggested a Samsung BDC5500. He said that you download an app from the Samsung website which allows for hulu to be played on the tv.

For those of you who use Hulu, do you watch it on a TV or on a computer? Can you watch Hulu through the Wii?

For those of you who say you don't have a TV but use Hulu or Netflix do you watch your movies/shows on your computer?

I am curious because I would like to get rid of cable and am trying to determine our alternatives.

We have this dvd player. It has a wi-fi adapter inside (some of them are wi-fi ready, meaning you need an adapter, so watch that) and lets you watch netflix and hulu through the tv.