Menu

Seeing Stars works on symbol imagery. If you have a kid who can read a word on one page, but can't read the same word 2 pages later, this is the program you'd think about buying. It helps them visualize whole words in their mind and build fluency.

Visualizing and Verbalizing helps with concept imagery, e.g. visualizing what is happening in a sentence, paragraph, and story. You'd use this with a kid who can decode but then can't tell you what they read. Ideachain is supposed to be similar, but more scripted and easier to use.

Vanilla Vocabulary seems to be a vocab program that uses V/V techniques. I keep seeing it mentioned, but I don't know much about it other than what I read on the Gander Publishing website.

I haven't used any of these programs myself, but I have read a lot about them.

V&V is for comprehension. It's supposed to help you visualize as you are reading.

LiPS is for phonemic sequencing. It's for auditory processing issues.

Seeing Stars is for symbol imagery. This is the program that was recommended for my dd who couldn't recognize any words on sight. She couldn't even visually compare two words that were next to each other to see if they were the same. She had to hear herself sound them out to tell if they were the same or different. Headsprout ended up fixing that particular problem.

I don't know anything about the the other LMB programs. I've seen them mentioned, but that's all.

I used LiPS both as speech therapy for my ds, and for developing an ear to hear the difference between sounds because she couldn't hear the difference between short i and short e or the separate sounds in blends (she only herd the strongest of the two).

Seeing Stars I am using to develop visual memory of words. Neither my dd nor I naturally see words in our minds, which greatly effects our spelling. Slowly we are both developing that ability. Her spelling has taken a leap forward since doing both of these. Mine is also improving though not as fast. It is not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes more time and work. :D

VV I am gearing up to use to help improve comprehension in my children (I hope) who do well with big picture ideas but poorly with details. Not sure if it will actually work for this yet though. ;)

Heather

I was going to post a similar thread:D My ds6's SLP mentioned LindaMood Bell for him too. I too went to their website but couldn't quite grasp what they were "selling".

My ds6 has a difficult time expressing himself (especially when he's anxious which is 80% of the time).

My ds10 has a hard time retelling a story that he's just read. He is unable to answer questions that have him forming his own answers.

I would like to know more about all of these programs too :)

Visualizing & Verbalizing -- "Through a series of steps, students learn to create an imaged gestalt and integrate that imagery with language as a basis for language comprehension and thinking". Um ..... what?

Vanilla Vocabulary

Gestalt roughly means "big picture." It's when the "sum of the parts" pulls all together to equal something bigger than the parts mean individually. "Putting it together" to grasp the larger concept of what the author or speaker tries to convey through language. It basically helps teach the skills of merging words to visions, and visions to words. It goes both ways. It's both for the child who cannot picture what they read, and for the child who can picture but who cannot translate the picture in their mind to language.

Besides reading comprehension, (because I think you're comprehending that part of the program) v/v might be helpful for a child who has a hard time putting the vision in their heads to the proper words. For instance, a child might says "thing" or "stuff" a lot or grab a similar word that's not right, because he's got a picture in his head that he can't find the right word or words to describe accurately. Linking words to pictures needs to go both ways.

Vanilla Vocabulary (there's 2) are vocabulary books designed to build vocabulary skills with techniques found in the v/v program. Vocabulary is very important to reading and language comprehension, as well as to speaking and writing. If a child doesn't really grasp the meaning of a word, he won't use that word correctly when he reads or speaks.

Seeing Stars -- HOW exactly do you visualize a phenome? I'm not sure I understand what that even means. :confused:

a, b, sh, th, There are some phenomes. They represent sounds, but we see them instead of hearing them. Good readers know that they represent sounds found in our language. Good spellers know which ones to use in what words. Put together, those phenomes represent words. Seeings Stars starts at the phenome level. It has some overlap into their LiPS program, but it's different. Seeing Stars also helps develop a sight words, spelling vocabulary and visual memory for words. Since several sounds in our language can be represented by different letters, and several letters can make more than one sound, visualizing words in the mind helps with spelling and reading.

Edited by merry gardens