Menu

Time for a mega-round of Would You Eat This. :(

I bought groceries this afternoon around 3:00 PM, but somehow a bag of refrigerated items was brought inside when I got home, but didn't get put away. :confused: Well, now it's midnight and I just found the bag in the kitchen. Is ANY of this stuff any good after sitting out at room temperature for 9 hours :blink:?

• bag of baby carrots
  • package of celery hearts
  • package of shredded parmesan cheese
  • dozen eggs
  • package of cream cheese

eggs - no problem. (eggs don't have to be refrigerated.)

Now, see, I was told that they don't have to be refrigerated until they have been. So that is why I said to pitch them. If they came from a local farmer and had yet been refrigerated then I would have no problem with the.

Am I mistaken in this. Let's be real, there is so little I actually do know that I never trust myself. :lol:

I bought groceries this afternoon around 3:00 PM, but somehow a bag of refrigerated items was brought inside when I got home, but didn't get put away. :confused: Well, now it's midnight and I just found the bag in the kitchen. Is ANY of this stuff any good after sitting out at room temperature for 9 hours :blink:?

• bag of baby carrots

• package of celery hearts

• package of shredded parmesan cheese

• dozen eggs

• package of cream cheese

The only item that would give me pause is the cream cheese, and I'd probably go ahead and use it.

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago, except that 1) the weather was warmer and 2) my eggs were left in the car *overnight.* We ate them with no problem.

• bag of baby carrots: Absolutely no problem. They weren't refrigerated in the field where they grew!
  • package of celery hearts - Absolutely no problem -ditto.
  • package of shredded Parmesan cheese - Not ideal, but not unsafe - depending on the weather, it might have gotten a bit sweaty or hard if it's hot out, but that's a gourmet taste issue not a food safety one. Assuming you mean the "shaved fresh Parmesan" type, it should be fine and if the taste/texture isn't perfect and you are a perfectionist, you can use it melted, such as on top of a lasagna or quiche, in which case there should be absolutely no problem.
  • dozen eggs - I don't think it's a problem, but I'm not 100% sure. Again, they would not have been refrigerated under the chicken! To be more careful, just use them in the next few days. (Make a quiche and top with the Parmesan!)
  • package of cream cheese - I've carted this around in a lunchbox all day and it was fine - just use it promptly rather than letting it linger.

I heard a very interesting radio program on dairy product safety, and basically cold temperature made the product go a lot longer before it spoiled, so your dairy/egg items might not last as long as they otherwise would have, but nothing here would be something I'd throw out immediately.

Would it make you feel better if I said I do this on a regular basis? The helping hands in my house are highly distractible and I often find full grocery bags under the table or in the living room. There is very little I wouldn't eat after letting it sit in a comfortably cool house for 8 hours.

Barb

I'm pretty paranoid about stuff, but I'd put this in the fridge now and not worry about it at all. I might not let the eggs and cream cheese sit in fridge as long as I normally would--if I remembered. I'd use them both up within the next week or so.

I wouldn't even hesitate about keeping this food. :)

:iagree: I know other people said similar things, but this is almost exactly what I would have said. (I'm not ignoring anyone in this thread, I promise!) ;)

According to this website, the cream cheese should be tossed. "Despite her appearance, the information provided by Mrs. Cookwell is science based. The questions are actually answered by food microbiologists with Health Canada and by home economists who have taken college level food microbiology recently."

I had my cream cheese in the fridge, and I think the fuse blew over night. It was still cold this morning though, is it still okay to eat. Or does it have to be kept at a certain temp all the time?

Cream cheese should be kept at or below the safe refrigerator temperature of 4 degrees C/40 degrees F. If stored at a higher temperature for longer than two hours, throw it away.

http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/cookwell/ask/dairy/

But if the grated cheese is quite dry like parmesan cheese and was purchased in a container at room temperature, then this one should be safe to eat [note: left out for 6.5 hours]. Otherwise, it should be thrown out as well.

http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/cookwell/ask/dairy/#170

My husband bought eggs at 4:30 p.m. yesterday, and forgot them in the car until 10:30 a.m. The temperature ranged from 25 celsius to 15 celsius. Are they safe to eat? Thank you.

When eggs are left at temperatures above 4 celsius (40 degrees F) for longer than one hour (two hours in the winter), they should be discarded.

http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/cookwell/ask/left_out_fridge/

Edited by RoughCollie

I take cream cheese on all our camping trips on the belief that it won't go bad like mayo does and we have eaten some mighty warm cream cheese in the last 15 years with no ill effects! I'm no microbiologist but I'm alive and well... so take that for what it's worth!

I don't refrigerate eggs, fresh nor storebought, ever.

ETA the only thing I would be worried about are the vegies-sitting in a warm plastic bag makes them melt and get slimy quickly. I would probably rinse and repackage the vegies or use them quickly.

Edited by livingnlearning

I would use all of it.

I would keep in mind to use the cheese pretty quickly (in the next week or so) and I would probably pop the Parmesan in the freezer (I usually keep shredded Parm in the freezer anyway).

I would try to make sure the eggs get used in a dish where they are thoroughly cooked.