Menu

Science: What do you use/recommend?

LAmom

I have a 2nd grader and K.

Looking for a science program for them. I have MFW Adv but am not crazy about it. Didn't really like the MFW 1st science either. Think it is the Usborne books! I do add to the book basket where I can.

Anyways, what is recommended? Elemental Science? Apologia? Anyone compare and contrast these and others?

Thanks!

With my 2nd grader we are doing the dinah zike curriculum Great Science Adventures. Its multiage K-8 I think, but i like the foldables and the little minibooks that we read from. It incorporates evthing, including experiements and projects, even some nature study in the biology themed books. Best of all theres a download version, so I can make as many copies as I need!

Last year we did MFW Rome to the Reformation and I substituted R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey during the first semester because we had just studied the human body. Science Odyssey uses real books, it is easy to implement and there are plenty of hands on science projects. If you're interested, you can download a free 10 week trial from their website: http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey during the first semester because we had just studied the human body. Science Odyssey uses real books, it is easy to implement and there are plenty of hands on science projects. If you're interested, you can download a free 10 week trial from their website: http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

We have been happy with RSO as a spine.

I used RSO when my boys were in K and 2nd - we really enjoyed this program. This year, we are using Elemental Science Earth Science http://www.elementalscience.com/ . My boys are now in 2nd and 4th. I did not think that RSO would provide enough challenge and interest for my oldest. Thus far, we are really Elemental, although I should also mention that we are supplementing it with several of the Science in a Nutshell kits.

Krista

I like the Magic School Bus books for this age. Read them over and over. Try some of the experiments that they mention. Go to science and natural history museums and talk about what they teach. Often. Those moves will be better than any textbook for this age.

My biggest waste of time and resources was science curriculum purchased in the grammar stage.

Do yourself and your dc a favor and "unschool" science when they're little. Get good books (the Magic School Bus being some), read them, get some hands-on "stuff", and "do" science. Focus on a handful of topics (insects, dinosaurs, the human body) and enjoy.

For those ages, I would use Magic School Bus books or just choose a topic and get library books. We're using Apologia Astronomy this year with grades 5, 2, and K. It's our first time with a real science curriculum and I'm only doing it to have a little more structure for my 5th grader.

We have been happy with RSO as a spine.

This. :) We supplement with living books and are really loving science.

I used RSO when my boys were in K and 2nd - we really enjoyed this program. My boys are now in 2nd and 4th. I did not think that RSO would provide enough challenge and interest for my oldest. Thus far, we are really Elemental, although I should also mention that we are supplementing it with several of the Science in a Nutshell kits.

Krista

And this. I'm on my second year of RSO and while I really like the program, I would not use it for a child older than 3rd.

It's too bad their Physics program isn't out yet. I wonder if it will be geared for the 4th grade level? I found that their chemistry was just right for third.

My biggest waste of time and resources was science curriculum purchased in the grammar stage.

Do yourself and your dc a favor and "unschool" science when they're little. Get good books (the Magic School Bus being some), read them, get some hands-on "stuff", and "do" science. Focus on a handful of topics (insects, dinosaurs, the human body) and enjoy.

:iagree:

And lots of outdoor time to observe. It's amazing what getting a bird feeder and investing in some good quality birdseed and some bird guide does. Even when my backyard was tiny, we observed nearly 30 kinds of birds and learned a lot.

Edited by Angie in VA

I think you could easily combine them in BFSU. There are extra activities suggested at the end of each lesson, so you could extend each lesson with the 2nd grader with more reading and writing activities. BFSU is secular, but it does not contain any lessons that would be considered controversial, such as evolution.

Oh, and it is very inexpensive--less than $30.

I used RSO when my boys were in K and 2nd - we really enjoyed this program. This year, we are using Elemental Science Earth Science http://www.elementalscience.com/ . My boys are now in 2nd and 4th. I did not think that RSO would provide enough challenge and interest for my oldest. Thus far, we are really Elemental, although I should also mention that we are supplementing it with several of the Science in a Nutshell kits.

Krista

What is RSO? Thanks.