Menu

Subbing Abacus for C-Rods with Miquon?

2squared

While we use and love RightStart, I am considering ordering Miquon as a bridge while I am sleep deprived with the new baby. Do I need to buy the c-rods or can my kids continue using their abacuses for Miquon? I can't tell from the samples if the rods are truly needed or if another manipulative will work just as well.

The rods are integral to Miquon. There are very few lab sheets that can be done without rods. A box of rods costs about the same as the RS Abacus.

Alternatively, I would suggest Math Mammoth for independent work. It has instructions and problems on the same page and it teaches to the student, so your 6yo and 8yo can do it by themselves.

You do need to C-rods, but we're enjoying Miquon as a side to RightStart. We're in the middle of moving and travel, so I only can do RS once or twice a week. Miquon is so portable (ds did it at the doctor's office while dd got her head glued after a fall) and easy - I just whip it out and he does it. It was hard for me at first to just let him jump in where he wanted to and not to start at the beginning, but that's what makes it fun. I might start with a 5 minute lesson (in the waiting room, for example) and then just be available to answer questions.

Emily

... Miquon is so portable (ds did it at the doctor's office while dd got her head glued after a fall) and easy - I just whip it out and he does it. ...

... I might start with a 5 minute lesson (in the waiting room, for example) and then just be available to answer questions.

Wow! How do you manage the rods and worksheets in the doctor's office or in the car?

:bigear: