Menu

SWR Help-can it be simplified a bit? How do you use it?

rjperez1

I like the idea of this program, and my boys are doing well with it. However, we are getting ready for a baby in Nov. and I may need them to be a little more independent of me for a while.

Is there anyone who has any ideas for modifying the program somewhat, so that they can do the work themselves for a while? I like the Wise guide and the progression of the lists, but I'm not sure I can administer it every day.

BTW, they are 10yo and 8yo.

Any ideas or ways that you've used it or been creative with it are appreciated!

I've done SWR through the births of our youngest two kids. We usually take 3 - 4 weeks off after the birth just to re-adjust to our new family dynamics. After that, it's quite easy to do spelling dictation while nursing or just holding the baby. I usually do it first thing in the morning to get it done and out of the way first. That way, any time the kids have nothing to do or I need something to keep them busy, they can be writing sentences. Also quite easy to do phonogram and rule reviews with a baby in arms. I actually didn't find it that difficult to keep up with after the baby was born.

good luck

I have my oldest work through 1 list over 2 weeks. I created workbook pages from the spelling enrichments and other ideas so that she can work with the words and concepts on her own. I also have her use spelling task cards with the words.

If you pm me I can send you a link to the workbook.:001_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement! These are great ideas. Sometimes you just need someone to give you a fresh look at things. I do believe in the program for the most part. Although, there are some things I don't understand, yet. It seems like a great way to do a lot of language arts all at once.

I dictate/finger-spell words in less than 1 minute/word. We hustle through spelling. No chit-chat. We get down & dirty - or it won't get done. I dictate 2 lists/week to my dc who are on different lists. It's the one subject that we don't make warm & fuzzy with conversation.

Dd7 loves writing the words from dictation. She writes the words in her PLL and marks with red pencil (which makes it fun). It's a logic lesson for her -- and a bit like a game. Dd7 can get down 20 words in 20 minutes.

Dd6 can sit still for 10 words max. She also writes in her PLL and marks in red.

I keep it very simple. Review the phonograms a few times/week. Go over the rules during the dictation process.

I have My Wise Grammar for workbook days. Dd7 writes the words once/day.

I love SWR but simply don't have much more time to devote to spelling.

HTH!:001_smile: