Menu

Teaching Textbooks question (could relate to any curriculum, really)

woolybear

I am trying to figure out what level to get for my son (10yo). We did math quite lightly for a few years. He appears to have some holes. We did the placement tests from the website and also some of the samples. He pretty much aced level 3. Level 4 he did pretty well on the areas he knew and was lost in some others. One of those areas is the times tables. I'm sure we could work on this separately, but it is not the only area he was clueless in. He doesn't seem to be weak in any areas tested, either aces it or has no clue.As far as the samples went, level 3 was a bit more of a challenge than the test.

So, my thought at this point is to put him in level three and really solidify those basic skills. Maybe some areas we can even skip. What I like about it is that he likes math when it is not too challenging. And he is building confidence that way. Or am I maybe letting him off too easy and not pushing/challenging him enough right now? Also, I would like him to get more up to grade level, if possible. On the other hand, I think basic skills in math is SO important. Many years down the road, it might be okay if he misses trigonometry, but not basic multiplication.

So, suggestions......????

We're using TT7 this year for my 11yo ds. Even that starts off with a review of computation: Chapter 1 deals with addition and subtraction; chapter 2 with multiplication and division. I would not be afraid to go ahead and start with level 4, but then take it slow where needed--maybe have your ds make flashcards of the multiplication tables and work with him for awhile with those as you get to that section in TT.

The daily worksheets in TT include the types of problems seen in previous lessons, so there is constant reinforcement of previously-developed skills. Ultimately I'd like ds in something more challenging, and I really considered changing to a different curriculum. But for now I've decided I like it. It *does* build his confidence in math and I'm now supplementing it with Singapore word problems for variety and to get him thinking about math instead of just performing calculations.