Menu

R&S spelling--pronouncing words problem

lisamarie

My DS is using R&S spelling for 2nd grade and on more than one occasion it has asked him to find words with certain sounds that even I couldn't figure out what word it was looking for. It finally dawned on me this week that I think maybe we just say words differently where I live than the way the makers of the text would say words. This week's word was "hang" and the book says that it has a "short a" sound where I would say it has a "long a" sound.

Has anyone else run across problems like this with spelling?

My DS is using R&S spelling for 2nd grade and on more than one occasion it has asked him to find words with certain sounds that even I couldn't figure out what word it was looking for. It finally dawned on me this week that I think maybe we just say words differently where I live than the way the makers of the text would say words. This week's word was "hang" and the book says that it has a "short a" sound where I would say it has a "long a" sound.

Sometimes that happens. :-)

Of course, you learned something new, which is that officially, the "a" is short and not long. :-)

Do you have the TM? You'll probably want it, even if it's just for simple things like this.

Certain sounds modify the vowel more strongly than others. The "n" in ng and nk has a special sound "ng" which slightly modifies the vowel that comes before it. The heavily voiced consonants l and r also modify the vowel. And, for some people, g modifies a few vowels, for example, some people pronounce egg with more of a long a sound.

This is one of the reasons I like Webster's Speller, it teaches things in syllables, so you start with syllables and compare sounds in syllables.

I do have the teachers manual but we were in a waiting room at the dr's office at the time that DS was working on the latest lesson, so no TM with me to refer to. I did wonder for a while if I have just been saying it wrong all these years. I just looked up "hang" online and it included a speaker function so I could listen to the word, and it still sounds like it has a long a sound. I am just going to have to disagree with the spelling book and move on.:tongue_smilie:

I have the same issue! My youngest uses Barton Reading because she is dyslexic, and they teach ang, ing, ong, ung, ank, ink, onk, and unk as units, so short/long is not an issue. I really like teaching them that way.