Menu

We finished school!

Yesterday was our last day of school. We didn't take any breaks all year with the exception of 2 days at Thanksgiving when my parents were here. I wanted to be done before dd's birthday (which is tomorrow, but her party is tonight) and we are!

So somebody please tell me why my kids don't want to play? Why is my son at 6.5yo *still* not wanting to go outside by himself and WHY are they acting bored? It's not even summer yet. This is not good and they've heard so much from me about it already. What is up with that!?

My kids have been acting strange with the good weather too. I took them on a few hikes/walks this week and that seems to have jump started them.

I am jealous of you, finishing school. Next year we won't be taking as many breaks. We have 8 more weeks. Congrats....

Congrats! We finish our Sonlight materials on Tuesday, but we are going to continue school till the first week of May. Like yours, my kids complain about being bored too easily, so I checked out some fun read aloud books from the library and are doing some other light LA and Science as well. Congratultaions at finishing another year. What a great accomplishment! :)

Yesterday was our last day of school. We didn't take any breaks all year with the exception of 2 days at Thanksgiving when my parents were here. I wanted to be done before dd's birthday (which is tomorrow, but her party is tonight) and we are!

So somebody please tell me why my kids don't want to play? Why is my son at 6.5yo *still* not wanting to go outside by himself and WHY are they acting bored? It's not even summer yet. This is not good and they've heard so much from me about it already. What is up with that!?

Children are creatures of habit. Your kids have gone from a structured school day to free summer days. It may take them sometime to get into the independent creative stage. Once they do it will be fine.

Any little change can affect their ability to be creative and active, you expecting soon may also hold a small part of that. When I'm at the end of a pregnancy my kids get less energetic. I think it's because I'm less energetic.

Try giving them ideas of things to do like, a scavenger hunt, write a poem about the spring flowers, make outdoor tent with blankets, make roads out of sticks/leaves to ride bikes on, find a four-leaf clover, obstacle course or running games. Something that might help shake them out of the groove they are in and that might get the imagination flowing.

Hope that helps a little.

Congratulations on the end of your school year! And good luck with the kids and new baby!

Today was our last day! We were only down to a few last subjects so I'm hoping for a smooth transition (mom planning next year, kids playing happily...or everyone cleaning!). We actually have a full week of play rehearsals for my ds this coming week and then out of town relatives the following week. That should ease us nicely into two months of "vacation" before the new year begins in July! :)

Yeah! We are finally starting to wind down....we had a bit of a late start this year.

--Dawn