Menu

Does anyone have ABEKA history that they could look something

Woolspinner

up for me?

I am not sure what year it is in, but it would be American history.

Specifically, I am looking for information on the Thomas Jefferson Bible. I have been told that ABEKA teaches that he cut things out of "The Bible"

because he didn't agree with them.

What I am interested in is any footnotes there may be to show where they get this information.

We have been watching a David Barton series where he says Thomas Jefferson cut out the words of

Christ and made them into a book to give to the Indians as a missionary tool.

I find it interesting that two reputable Christian resources disagree on this matter and I would just like to check out the resources for myself.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time or inclination to look this up for me.

Not from Abeka, but here's how Wiki describes it, which pretty much fits with what I had previously learned:

"The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was Thomas Jefferson's effort to extract the doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as perceived misinterpretations he believed had been added by the Four Evangelists."

"Using a razor, Jefferson cut and arranged selected verses from the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John in chronological order, mingling excerpts from one text to those of another in order to create a single narrative. Thus he begins with Luke 2 and Luke 3, then follows with Mark 1 and Matthew 3. He provides a record of which verses he selected and of the order in which he arranged them in his “Table of the Texts from the Evangelists employed in this Narrative and of the order of their arrangement.â€

"The Jefferson Bible begins with an account of Jesus’s birth without references to angels, genealogy, or prophecy. Miracles, references to the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus, and Jesus' resurrection are also absent from the Jefferson Bible.[5] The work ends with the words: “Now, in the place where he was crucified, there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid. There laid they Jesus. And rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.†These words correspond to the ending of John 19 in the Bible."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible