Menu

What spelling curricula for advanced 1st Grader?

Mom2J112903

J is quite the speller, or so it seems.

He knows most of his phonics rules and is spelling two syllable words with ease.

He will be 7 at the end of November and right now I am just using his Saxon Phonics as a spelling curricula. Not using the actual spelling test (as those are laughable at times IMHO) but using the phonics rules and the words that go with each lesson.

What would be a good spelling curricula for him once we are done with our current plan? He is very visual, and *loves* MUS, anything on DVD would be great :D

Thanks everyone!!!

Urgh. Just noticed this after I posted on someone else's thread.

FWIW, I am not pleased with SW. I'm using level C for my third grade DD. It does not challenge her and she doesn't seem absorb the rules. (Heck, I don't even think she notices them!). My budget is blown for now, but I'm looking at All About Spelling (AAS) for when it recovers. :001_smile:

FWIW, today's words included plastic and frantic as well as others with the final c rules.

The next, which I am pretty certain he can do already is the ble words.

I looked at AAS and from what I can see is we would easily be on level 3. Also looked at others and it seems he would be 2 grades or so above his grade level. Unless I am missing something of course.

This is where I am "stuck". Thanks for any help you can offer.

My 5 yo is also a great speller, and while I am reluctant to buy him a formal spelling program yet, I did cave at barnes and noble the other day and bought him a grade 2 harcourt spelling book, which he adores. I am thinking if his love of spelling doesn't wane with this workbook, then he just might be ready for a more formal approach like SWO level C or D. He is also enjoying the free McGuffey's Speller (find it on google books)-not a lot of rules but lots of fun words. With my older, who also loved spelling, we were in K12.com at the time, and I think it was a bit boring...he's using Megawords now which is rec'd for grade 4 but perhaps your son would like that?

My younger is spelling words like chair, helpful and basket, if that helps you. Good luck! I wouldn't worry too much; if your son is a natural speller, he"'ll excel in almost any curriculum!

My 7 year old DD is also natural speller. We switched around spelling programs a few times and they each worked for a while, but eventually it just wasn't worth the time and effort. We no longer do spelling as a separate subject. She still does dictation and if she misspells any words, she practices them a few times.

Oh, I also started out with an Orton/Gillingham spelling program and when she has a spelling question, I can refer her back to the phonograms, spelling rules, and syllable types and she gets it.

My 7 year old DD is also natural speller. We switched around spelling programs a few times and they each worked for a while, but eventually it just wasn't worth the time and effort. We no longer do spelling as a separate subject. She still does dictation and if she misspells any words, she practices them a few times.

My 7yo is a natural speller. (He will be 8 this fall.) We also do not use a separate spelling program.

He is using SL 2adv. If I remember, I say the included phonics rule and have him spell the few words aloud. He never misses any. He is also doing Plaid Phonics Word Study D. It is scheduled in the SL LA guide.

Last year we used Plaid Phonics C as an review of phonics, but no spelling program. The year before that we used CLE LA1.

So, it may not be a popular vote, but I will second the opinion that you may not need a formal spelling program.

HTH-

Mandy

If he seems to be a "natural" speller, I would wait on a formal spelling program. I didn't do spelling with my oldest until this year in 3rd grade, and then only because she specifically asked. A friend gave me her old copy of Spelling Power and DD placed into Level G. I did back up and do selected lists from Levels E & F. At the rate she's going, I wouldn't be surprised if she finished the entire program by next fall (we HS year-round).

I'm going to be started AAS with my 2nd as soon as my order arrives. What I'm thinking of doing is having my oldest help her younger brother learn the rules. That way she'll learn them too without getting insulted by the words being too easy. Someone on the "Accelerated Learner" board mentioned doing this a few months ago, and I thought it sounded like a great idea. :D

We're loving All About Spelling for our 5 year old who loves Language Arts. The first few levels you might fly through, but they lay a good foundation. We're halfway through Level 3 now and all the previous syllable work, rules, etc... is helping us continue with great success.

We are loving AAS here. My son is 8 and an average speller. I was skeptical about starting at level 1, but we have found some things that he did not know. It is a new way of looking at spelling. We are flying through book 1 and will probably start level 2 by the end of October. There is the expense of starting at the beginning, but I am finding that it is worth it. The good thing about it being easy, is that spelling is now one of my son's favorite subjects. He looks forward to it and goes into each lesson with the confidence that he will learn it.

If I had natural spellers, I would not do a separate spelling program at this age. I would see how it goes in later years, and if necessary, whip through MegaWords in later grades (possibly finishing all of them in two years or less).

For yourself, I would use the rules in something like WRTR, which is inexpensive to purchase. When questions come up, you can refer to the spelling rule or explain the exception.

Unfortunately, my kids spell like I do - horribly. I would so much rather not use a spelling program at this age.