Menu

"We always double l, s, and f..." (a spelling question!)

myfatherslily

We are using Phonics Road level 1 and have just finished Week 7. DD learned the Rule Tune, "We always double l, s, and f after a single vowel at the end of a base word of one syllable."

Then we did the word "this". Cause she such a smartie ;), she doubled the "s". Ms. Beers, the creator of the curriculum, seems pretty good about saying "usually" if there are exceptions to the rule. Am I missing something?? Why is it not doubled? Or did she just fail to mention, after stating the rule as "always", that it's not always?

this

his - hiss

is

miss

kiss

We are using Phonics Road level 1 and have just finished Week 7. DD learned the Rule Tune, "We always double l, s, and f after a single vowel at the end of a base word of one syllable."

Then we did the word "this". Cause she such a smartie ;), she doubled the "s". Ms. Beers, the creator of the curriculum, seems pretty good about saying "usually" if there are exceptions to the rule. Am I missing something?? Why is it not doubled? Or did she just fail to mention, after stating the rule as "always", that it's not always?

this

his - hiss

is

miss

kiss

The song says, "We often double l, s, and f...." Not always.

LOL! Well, I guess that would be the reason... okay, I guess I'll go look at that again and try to teach them correctly from now on! Thanks!!

I've done a few things, where I have had to go back and say, "Okay, kids, sorry mom taught this wrong it ............"

I let the children know that I'm learning this too and I may make a mistake now and then ;).

I think (I'll have to go back and check) but words like 'his' the 's' is saying it second sound /z/, so that may help with some words when not to double the s. Again, I don't know how accurate that would be, so someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Edited by Homeschooling6

this

his - hiss

is

miss

kiss

Is and his are not doubled because the s makes the z sound.

Exceptions are yes, Gus, bus, and gas. Barton doesn't mention this, either, but that definitely sounds like an /s/ rather than a /z/ at the end, so I'm going to have dd add this to the exceptions in her spelling notebook.

SWR teaches it as "often" and adds "Occasionally other letters are doubled in this way (ebb, odd, egg, inn, err, watt, jazz)."

My dd#2 was going back through her spelling test making sure all her words followed the spelling rules she knows so far and almost changed "you" to something else because it ended with a "u" (English words do not end in I, U, V, or J.") I had to go back later & say it was ok at her question because it was the "ou" phonogram.

Rule-breakers chap my hide. :glare:

Seems like this "rule" has a lot of exceptions: What about

if, of, us, as, has, and was ?

As, has, and was all make /z/, so they are not exceptions to the rule. (I'm not sure about other programs, but Barton teaches that s is doubled when it makes /s/ but not when it makes /z/. The doubled s is how we know to say /s/ instead of /z/.)

The f in of makes /v/, so it's not an exception to the rule. It's a sight word since phonetically, it should be spelled uv.

If and us look like exceptions, so I'm going to have dd add them to her notebook.

As, has, and was all make /z/, so they are not exceptions to the rule. (I'm not sure about other programs, but Barton teaches that s is doubled when it makes /s/ but not when it makes /z/. The doubled s is how we know to say /s/ instead of /z/.)

The f in of makes /v/, so it's not an exception to the rule. It's a sight word since phonetically, it should be spelled uv.

If and us look like exceptions, so I'm going to have dd add them to her notebook.

You'll need a lot more than those 2.

if, chef, clef, pal, gas, yes, this, us, bus, pus, plus, thus

The f, s, and l rule is actually one rule that is more consistent than not. ;)

:iagree:

But, I like to teach f in of along with is and has as a z sound, it goes along the same principles, a consonant pair substitution. You find f/v again if leaf/leaves. I teach d/t later, it plays into ed endings.

I don't teach of as a sight word, but as a consonant pair substitution with f as v.

Is and his are not doubled because the s makes the z sound.

Exceptions are yes, Gus, bus, and gas. Barton doesn't mention this, either, but that definitely sounds like an /s/ rather than a /z/ at the end, so I'm going to have dd add this to the exceptions in her spelling notebook.

The ABC's and all Their Tricks also lists: us, pus, plus, and thus.

Still, that's 9 words out of 280 that follow the rule which is just over 3%.