Menu

Do any of you assign homework?

Just wondering.....do any of you assign homework for you dc or do you sit with them while they complete the assignments after teaching the lesson?

If you do assign homework, do you find the retention to be a little better?

I was thinking back to when I was in school and had homework, it made me remember what was taught at a later time instead of while it was fresh in my mind.

Both my dc have problems with retention and was wondering if homework may help.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I began assigning homework this year, simply because I have too many students and don't have the time to wait for them to finish assignments anymore.

My 10yo son is getting much higher scores in math this year, so I think your theory is worth pursuing.

I've wondered if his math time each day was just too long. Maybe he couldn't concentrate and retain the info because it took a whole hour to learn the lesson and do the assignment.

Now I teach the lesson and do practice problems with him (Rod and Staff) in the afternoon, and he does the rest of the lesson in the evening or before school the next day.

I do. I teach writing once/wk to a group and I assign hmwk for that. We have a lesson on say, sentence building or use of descriptive words, we practice several times in class and then I assign homework. Last time, we did a couple of examples together, a couple of examples individually and shared them with each other. The homework was to build three more of same and then choose one of those to flesh out into a paragraph.

This is the kind of homework that makes sense to me. It practices skills we have already practiced. My expectation is that through practice the students will use these skills more and more facilely and that they will find ways to incorporate them more seamlessly into their writing.

The same goes for math. I don't teach that, though. If I did, I'd do it the same way. Teach concepts and then give her practice problems so that she gets better and better at them.

Ditto for Latin.

Now, with other things . . . less homework. Also, my girl is 11. Homework hasnt' always been this way.

My 10th grader has actual homework because I teach physics class with one other student who comes to my home just for the class. The class is in the morning and she usually does the homework in the late afternoon. I teach her a piano lesson 1x/week and she practices the rest of the week. She does everything else independently and just comes to me with questions.

My 7th grader does her writing and history projects independently while I'm teaching the physics class. Aside from that, I do everything with her.

This year my dawdler does homework as necessary. He doesn't have LDs or other issues that cause the dawdling, just an intense interest in all things Legos, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones and not math or grammar. Timers alone didn't work. A timer that meant "the rest of the work can be done later during playtime" - i.e., homework - did.

His gasp of, "But Mom, we are homeschoolers, we don't have homework!" was priceless.

All my children's work is homework.

They have assignments and work to do, period. Whether they want to call this "school time" or "homework" does not matter.

I don't "teach" them, they learn. Working independently on their assignments is the biggest part of our home education. The time I spend in direct instruction is very small.

Not homework persay. But 75% of my 3rd grader's work is done independently, so in essence, it is homework, just done earlier than PS kids LOL. I instruct a bit for math and wwe, but for the most part he follows his schedule and works independently. However, he does know that any unfinished work is done on Saturday morn (meaning no cartoons). That rarely happens ;)

I schedule tests on Mondays. This way the kids have the weekend to study and I feel it is teaching them some time management. We have gone through many Sunday night (and Monday morning) cramming sessions and slowly they are learning to study better during the week and in small bits on the weekend. I am not testing in every subject every week, but we always at least have a Latin test scheduled. So I guess you could say studying is their "homework".

Lesley

I never used to give my son homework, although as someone said above; all our school is technically HOME work! But he would dawdle and piddle around until I was nearly ready to scream, so I implemented a timer. If his school work wasn't done in the proper amount of time then we were going on to the next subject and his unfinished work was to be done before playing, reading, phoning friends, etc....You can't imagine the look of horror on his face :lol:

But it worked!!

I don't know that we really call it homework, but yes, I teach a lesson and then assign independent work (or sometimes vice versa with the older dc.) At this point, my 8th and 9th graders have a lot, because I teach university-style with class times once or twice a week per class and indpendent work to be done between then to either prepare for our discussions or follow up on what I taught.

Unless you are either unschooling, doing every bit of school work with your dc, or your dc do all of their school work on their own, I think there is a need to give "homework" (whether one chooses to call it that or not) as students get older.