Menu

Anyone had a kidney infection?

Once it gets to that point, I wouldn't risk it. You need antibiotics.

On your own, you can drink as much 100% cranberry juice (no added sugar, not mixed with other juices like apple, but it *is* okay to dilute it with water) as you can stand. The more water and cranberry (100% blueberry is also useful, but avoid other juices) the better. Avoid refined sugar and caffeine, but it's okay to eat whole fruits.

But while I'm happy to treat a UTI at home by doing that, I would consider it only supplemental to antibiotics for an infection that had reached the kidneys. Just not something you want to mess with.

:grouphug:

Have to agree with Abbeyej. These things don't go away on their own, and if you wait too long for the antibiotics, the infection will spread from your kidneys into your bloodstream and you will be hospitalized and on IV antibiotics instead. Ask how I know this. ;) You really don't want that.

After you get the meds, still drink the 100% cranberry juice, drink a lot of water, rest, and take care of yourself.

Praying for a quick recovery and a better week for you though!

Thanks, abbeyej. This has been such a bad week. My 2 yro poured an entire drink onto our laptop (so now no computer), our beater pick-up truck croaked in our drive-way and now this. Arrrrgh... :glare:

I'm so sorry. What a week! ... But really. An untreated kidney infection could make things so much worse (in terms of your time, your health, and even in financial terms). Don't let this go just because there are so many other problems you have to deal with right now as well.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Once it gets to that point, I wouldn't risk it. You need antibiotics.

:iagree:

I had one 10 years ago and it was awful. Definitely get to the doctor as soon as you can!

In the meantime, drink LOTS AND LOTS OF FLUIDS!! When this happened to me, I instinctively just drank lots of Gatorade (it was the only thing I could keep down - everything else made me nauseated). My doctor told me I had likely prevented my infection from getting worse just because I was hydrating myself so well...

Hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

D-mannose. At least 3 times a day. It's basically the active ingredient in cranberry type stuff, blocks the bacteria from attaching. It should make you feel significantly better in a day or two, and then continue it for at least 5 days. If it does NOT make you feel much better in a day or two, I'd go get antibiotics.

:iagree:

I had one 10 years ago and it was awful. Definitely get to the doctor as soon as you can!

In the meantime, drink LOTS AND LOTS OF FLUIDS!! When this happened to me, I instinctively just drank lots of Gatorade (it was the only thing I could keep down - everything else made me nauseated). My doctor told me I had likely prevented my infection from getting worse just because I was hydrating myself so well...

Hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Along with the antibiotics you need followup to make sure the infection is gone. A kidney infection is one of the harder infections to clear and before long will return if not erradicated.

Yeah, it might be just a really, really bad bladder infection, but I'm having bad pain in my kidney. I also had some horrific pain for about 20 minutes last night that reminded me of being in labor. The pain went away very suddenly and hasn't come back. I'm probably going to just go to the urgent care center. I hate to do that with all my kids and forever-absent husband. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry to sound crabby. Thanks for all your replies!

I haven't read through the responses, and surely someone else has said this, but YOU MUST SEE A DOCTOR. Do not try to treat this on your own. You could end up with permanent kidney damage. Failure to see a doctor for this could lead you to the need for a transplant. Kidney infections are not a wait and see condition. Please, please, please get yourself into urgent care or the ER today.