Menu

Your girlie lego lover: what are her favorite lego kits/things?

My lego lover is more girlie than most of the lego stuff available. We were able to get some things that back when she was in the duplo stage like the house stuff and the Winnie the Pooh stuff but she's weeeeelllll past duplo and would prefer more girl stuff in the lego dept. She did go through a Star Wars phase and, indeed, still likes some of that but honestly, Doesn't Lego ever get a new idea? Enough of Star Wars already.

What does your girlie Lego lover love?

Has she seen the Belville sets? My little girls like those. They are very pink and girly and have some really cute details. It may seem too girly for her, however, if she is older or isn't really into pink. We also like the Lego Creator sets like the Apple Tree House and some other houses, Lego City, and some of the architecture ones. We have a couple of the pink girls' brick sets-just a bunch of bricks- and they play with them more than any of the predesigned sets we have.

Guest TheBugsMom

Lego does have a girls line of lego's called Bellville but this is very sad use of lego products. Most sets contain very few pieces to actually build, the rest of the set is already built. It feels like they do not consider girls capable of handleing the complexity of a building set containing multiple pieces. I contacted them once and complained but I got nowhere. They do have a bucket of lego pieces that are girl colors....the bucket is pink (Walmart and Target have it usually). The problem with the bucket is it contains mostly tiny pieces and you can't do much with those. Maybe if enough people complain and use the sexist card they might start creating sets that are equal to the boy themes.

My 10yo prefers to free-build instead of following instructions. Her older brother is serious fan, a member of fan sites with a cataloged collection, so she's learned by watching him.

Her favorite pieces are anything that can be used when building a community----------road plates, doors, windows, roof tiles, minifigs, dogs, horses, trees, flowers, wheels, car parts and so on. She also has many of the castle sets and the medieval market village (that was her Christmas present last year). Those more period pieces combine with Lego City sets and pieces to make entire towns spread all over our family room :)

I used to like to build houses and towns when I was a kid - I bought my girls a Lego house building kit, but I think they were too young for it and lost a lot of the pieces... :glare: They still have a City series, but I don't like it as much as what they had when I was young.

My girls actually showing more interest in Legos now when they're 12. One of them is doing FLL Lego Robotics, the other one's building things for her Playmobil to use. I think she'd like the House kit now if it still had enough pieces to build a house...

I am really insulted that Lego thinks that "girly" legos are Pink... Girls just tend to like to build different types of things (ie not things that shoot at each other), they don't need pink blocks...

The Belville stuff is just out and so is the horse stuff. Just b/c it's pink doesnt' make it interesting to my girl. Now if it needed to be pink that's one thing, but throwing in a bunch of pink and then calling it girl stuff is just bothersome.

Also, here is my main beef: there really doesn't seem like there is much to actually build. My girl likes to build and then play. build first, play later. She likes it that way. It seems to me that for the girl stuff, the focus is on don't build much and then play. They seem more like minor assembly required pink toys than actual legos.

I can't tell by the pic if the winter villiage baker and winter toy shop are like that. and we're not into harry potter.

My Lego girl likes the Harry Potter, castles, pirates, and houses, and she likes to build free-form. I bought her some specialty pieces from the Lego website -- the bulk pieces that range from a few cents to a quarter or so apiece -- and she loves to add those to her building projects.

She'd love love love the medieval market village, but the price tag is stopping me from clicking the "buy" button...

My non-Lego-lover dd enjoys the minifigs and the animals, but doesn't like to build.

Lego does have a girls line of lego's called Bellville but this is very sad use of lego products. Most sets contain very few pieces to actually build, the rest of the set is already built. It feels like they do not consider girls capable of handleing the complexity of a building set containing multiple pieces. .

I am really insulted that Lego thinks that "girly" legos are Pink... Girls just tend to like to build different types of things (ie not things that shoot at each other), they don't need pink blocks...

This! Exactly this! Why can't they make something that girls want to play with but with the building complexity and normal color schemes of just regular old legos?

I mean, I know the answer: they build the stuff that sells. $ is the bottom dollar and who can really blame them, I guess. I wouldn't go to all the trouble and expense to build and market something that the market research told me wouldn't sell much. Still, it is wildly inconvenient for me and mine.

The horse stables is a great idea . . . **IF** they would make it in a normal, real world color scheme with lots of complex building and not just a token pink almost zero build non kit. :glare: A horse farm with house, stables, feed store, et c in real world color schemes with the building complexity of her star wars kits is just up our alley!

The horse stables is a great idea . . . **IF** they would make it in a normal, real world color scheme with lots of complex building and not just a token pink almost zero build non kit. :glare: A horse farm with house, stables, feed store, et c in real world color schemes with the building complexity of her star wars kits is just up our alley!

Count on me to buy that one!

I did like the Beach House too! I might have to get that for dd for Christmas. She and her brother love to free build too, so pink is worthless for us. She just doesn't want to have to build Star Wars ships all the time, and those are generally too complicated for her brother. We did get a few Medieval things recently but I find that they mostly build them and then when they tear them down the pieces go into the general bucket never to be built in it's original form again.

My dds looooove Legos. They do like Star Wars and Harry Potter but they also enjoy a lot of the City Legos. They rec'd the Medieval Market for Christmas last year and had a blast playing with that. There's also a few different houses out now and if you look on the Lego website there are some neat (but pricey) stores and buildings that my dds would love to have.

I agree!

My DD loves legos. She has 1 Belville set, but it doesn't see much use.

What she really likes are in the Creator series as well. They have 3 different house sets, each of which make 3 different kinds of houses. Those are a hit.

Then look over in the City collection. There are some here that are more girly...cars with people, farms, etc...

At the Lego store you can make Lego people to buy, or they also have Mini-fig surprise packs right now. She loves to have the houses and cars and lots of people.

She also loves the new Harry Potter Legos, the Toy Story Legos, and the Star Wars Legos that are more character based over ship based.

I'm the girly lego lover in this house. I buy them ostensibly for the kids, but in all honesty, I'm the one that builds them. Then they play with them. I hope they will want to build them when they're a little older. These are the kits I have picked out for my tastes:

-One of the house kits--can build 3 different houses. (I always built pretty ugly looking houses with our generic legos when I was a kid)

-A castle that was at Costco when we were studying Middle Ages. Lots of fun!

-The medieval village. This is probably my favorite.

If my kids were just a little more into legos, I would be getting them the Harry Potter Hogwarts kit. But they haven't even read Harry Potter yet (I have) so once again it would mostly be for me!

My nearly fourteen year old daughter has been using Legos alongside her 12 year old brother for years and years. She loves to build scenarios using just whatever bricks and stuff is around and creating a story to go along with it incorporating as many mini-figs as she can. They don't care what kits they have(although they have many), they just build and play and play. One of my all time favorite sounds in the world is them playing legos together, digging through the plastic bins. For us, Legos have been the best toy ever.

My daughter loves Legos, always has. She enjoys the Harry Potter sets and any of the buildings, such as the Green Grocer. She also had fun with the Christmas set last year and is eagerly awaiting the new Winter Village Bakery.

Bionicles were also a hit with her. She seemed to appreciate the fact that Lego made a female Bionicle, so she would play Bionicles with her brothers.

DD8 has a big tub of Belville parts that I put together by buying mixed lots on ebay, and she does build with that sometimes, but her favorite lego set is the Medieval Market Village. It may seem expensive ($100), but IMO it's the biggest bargain in Lego — it comes with tons of accessories and minifigs and there are so many ways to build it, play with it, etc., I think it's a much better deal than the Star Wars kits. She loved the Spongebob sets, which unfortunately have been discontinued. She and DS also play with the Castles/Kingdom medieval sets and the troll castle. For Christmas DD is getting the Emporium (department store), and DS desperately wants the Imperial Flagship, but I'm trying to convince him to get Hogwarts instead.

Have you guys seen the awesome Diagon Alley kit that Lego is releasing in January??? :w00t:

Jackie

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Have you looked at the WeDo Robotics stuff? It looks good and is on the short list as we move up. I think the Lego Sceneries Set can be used with it and it seems to be a pretty good combo of good building/robotics and girly. If your dd absolutely loves Lego though, I would be tempted to go with all the really elaborate Lego town items that can be worked on long-term. I've been drooling over the carousel and cafe for a while. We'll get there eventually.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm trying to convince him to get Hogwarts instead.

Have you guys seen the awesome Diagon Alley kit that Lego is releasing in January??? :w00t:

Jackie

Oh! Thank you! I was trying to surprise ds7 with the Lego Harry Potter stuff but he found out about it. Argh. Now it's not a surprise but his life's dream. :tongue_smilie:

The Diagon Alley kit looks great but I do have to wonder what the cost will be, high since it's an exclusive. His birthday is in Feb so that Jan release works well. Maybe I can keep it a total secret!

My dds fight ferociously with the boys over the people. Years ago we bought the box of community people (30 in all!) at lego.com and it seems we still don't have enough people to fill the castle, house, whatever they build. This is funny...in many, many sets there are the little circular shaped translucent pieces that are meant to be headlights/taillights, they love those too. What ever the girls build, they decorate it with these little 'gem' looking pieces like jewelry. But at the end of every lego day, there are never enough people.