Menu

Attn Classical Conversations people:

I am wondering what parental involvement looks like in your classes? How involved are the parents supposed to be? I have heard help as needed which of course is very different than helping with all projects. if help as needed, what if your child doesn't need that much help? do you help with other children?

I have a children in two separate classes. What do you do when your children are in separate classes? do you have someone else in charge of your child when you are not there?

Thanks!

Edited by Gratefulgal

Directors are encouraged to schedule at least one mom in each room, as there must always be another adult in the room with a tutor and children (they do not have background checks, so this is the protection provided.) So you might be assigned to one room sometimes, or you might just float back and forth. That will be up to the Director.

The amount of help depends on the ages, the needs of the children, and the tutor's style. Yes, you might help other children and have other moms helping your child, especially in the younger classes (under 8.) If the tutor is not specific about when she wants parents to help and how much to help, you can always ask her.

The things that are not helpful are to correct the tutor in front of the students, try to "out tutor" her, tell her what to do during class, or have chit-chat time in the back of the class. :001_smile: I saw all of these as a Director.

I am a tutor of a class of 5-6yo. I do need help, but not much. Mostly in Geography with pointing out the various features of the map for the week. We don't do much writing at all and I provide most of what's needed in order to save time from digging in backpacks and messing with binders. Moms do step in whenever it looks like kids need help like with snack or something (I usually have at least 2 other moms in my room, often 3).

Most of the moms in my class do have children in other classes, so they float. I'll look up and find them gone, or sometimes they will tell me that morning they plan to spend the whole of that day in the other class.

My class is working out just fine. I have yet to feel like I don't have enough help. The moms are attentive, they laugh at my jokes, they sing and participate with the kids, and they don't chat in the back of the room. And they never interrupt me. Gosh, I sure am lucky!:D

Not sure if that answers your questions.

I am wondering what parental involvement looks like in your classes? How involved are the parents supposed to be? I have heard help as needed which of course is very different than helping with all projects. if help as needed, what if your child doesn't need that much help? do you help with other children?

I have a child in a 6-7 year old class and a child in the 8-9 year old class.

Also, what do you do when your children are in separate classes? do you have someone else in charge of your child when you are not there?

Thanks!

This is my first year with CC. I have kids in two different classes - I tend to stay in just one class for the whole morning rather than float back and forth. For the younger class, the moms help with passing out supplies, keeping our children in line, assisting the children with geography or science - basically helping the kids. We do not do anything the tutor is responsible for.

For the older class - I just sit and watch and maybe help clean up at the end of the morning. Occasionally the tutor asks for assistance - but not with the teaching portion.

Thanks!

My son is older but he is in a class with several of his friends. He does a pretty good job of focusing. However, he is the loudest child out of the whole bunch. So, even if his friends are quietly talking or being disruptive, since my son is the loudest, he tends to be noticed more readily. I have talked to him about his voice volume. However, I think he is naturally just louder....So far I have been going one week to my son's class and the other to my daughters. Perhaps, I just need to be with my son until there is more of a routine. Any helpful thoughts?

Edited by QuirkyKapers

Thanks!

My son is older but he is in a class with several of his friends. He does a pretty good job of focusing. However, he is the loudest child out of the whole bunch. So, even if his friends are quietly talking or being disruptive, since my son is the loudest, he tends to be noticed more readily. I have talked to him about his voice volume. However, I think he is naturally just louder....So far I have been going one week to my son's class and the other to my daughters. Perhaps, I just need to be with my son until there is more of a routine. Any helpful thoughts?

I have one that I have to keep a close eye on myself! I've come to the conclusion that I do need to be with him more often, but also that I need to do more than just stop him from being disruptive. He needs to learn to behave even when I am not there. So I'm also asking other moms and the tutor to honestly tell me how he's doing when I am not there. And there are negative consequences if he doesn't heed correction when it's given.

Thanks!

Have you told the tutor that this is not a characteristic that you approve of? It is hard to know as the tutor how picky to be with other people's children. It is helpful if you tell them right up front of any issues: "He has a tendency to talk too loud, and we are working on it. It would be a great help if you would just go ahead and remind him to be quieter when you need to, whether I am here or not." Many times a tutor wants to say something, but doesn't want to be seen as critical (some people get very defensive about their precious darlings. :D)

The tutor/parent relationship is just odd: the tutor is in charge, but the parent is still there. I spent the most time on this when training tutors, and it was their biggest question. It only gets better with discussion. :001_smile:

I have told her I don't care if something is said. I think she is uncomfortable saying something just from things she has said. Which, I get. Trying to tutor, in addition to trying to manage behavior would be difficult.

So, my plan right now is to get in a good rountine with my son by being in his class for the next few weeks. My son and I also worked out a plan. We talked about how it is hard not to join in the conversation when friends are talking so I would sit next to him. If I am not there, he can still say that seat is for my mom. I am thinking that if there was a little space between the kids, it would cut down on some of the chattering.

Edited by QuirkyKapers