Menu

A new Aldi store just opened up in town....

I've never been to Aldi, but I've heard positive comments. If you shop there, what are some items I shouldn't miss? Thanks!

BTW, I guess I should mention that the foods that cost me the most $$ at a regular grocery store are: Greek yogurt, cheese, cereal, chocolate, King Arthur flours, pasta sauce, hoagie rolls, deli meat. Does Aldi carry any of these items at a good price/quality?

If you do decide to go, know the following:

Aldi's only takes debit cards and cash

You need a quarter to get a cart (its refundable when you put the cart back)

Bring your own bags (or you'll have to pay for each bag they give you)

You have to bag your own groceries

They have a really random assortment of stuff, some of it will only be there once, and then you'll never see it again

The prices are pretty decent, but be sure to check with other grocery stores to make sure it is actually a deal.

Looking at your list, I would suggest you try some of the chocolate and cheese. They have assorted types of chocolate (I like the various dark bars, bars with hazelnuts, and choc. chips), and I always grab some of their white cheddar (it's not artisan cheese, but the price is excellent for what you get). They rotate through specialty cheeses and some of them are very good. I am a big fan of their unsalted roasted almonds. I buy a lot of baking supplies there as well. Produce seems to vary by region, so you might have some very nice options on that.

Um, so I didn't get the "big deal" on Aldi's. We moved a few months ago to an area with a few of them.

So after reading here how wonderful they are, I ventured in. I saw alot of off-brand foods, scary looking produce, and in general, kind of a odd, very "blah" grocery store. Plus they were also selling a few other non-food items, off-brand. Frankly, it was just kind of like a nice Dollar Tree store, although with more food and less other junk.

I mean, I guess if COST was my very bottom most important line, I guess, maybe this would be the place to go (not sure, though, cuz didn't really compare prices to regular grocery store off-brands).

But yeah, I didn't see what the fuss was.....did I miss it????

Edited by Samiam
spelling errors

I don't know if you missed it but typically, for the non-name brands, I save about 25% at Aldi's over any other store. I'm not a coupon clipper and I don't plan meals around what is on special.

At Aldi's I usually spend around $3 or less on cereal. I normally buy 2-3 boxes every two seeks.

I also save on butter, milk, bread, cheese and bagels. Produce and meat I normally buy locally.

Aldi's is great if you know what you want and you aren't looking for name brand poducts to feel the need.

Remember: Aldi's food has the Aldi label, but it's not inferior to any of the name brands, because it IS the name brands. Aldi contracts with major food companies to carry the exact same foods, but packaged with Aldi's label. Also, the same folks who own Aldi own Trader Joe's, so you'll see some of the same foods from TJ's but just in Aldi packaging. IIRC, the wines and beer and the specialty items (fresh cheeses in the deli, some other of the more "gourmet" things) are really TJ foods in Aldi wrappings.

I'm not a huge fan of the produce, but we've had no problems with the canned items, baking items, milk, cheese, cereal, meats (their "Fit and Active" meats are very low in fat; and the Fit and Active snacks are comparable, points-wise, to WW products, but at a fraction of the cost).

I like most of Aldi's stuff. It is just 30 minutes from me in a direction I hardly ever go so I only get there every few months.

Their chips and snack foods (if you eat them) are very reasonable---99 cents for most bags of chips, $1.49 or $1.99 for the deluxe types. There cereals are very good and I get a lot of my basics there---flour, sugar, salt, etc. I have never had a problem with the canned veggies/fruits and they are way cheaper than the grocery store unless the store is having their big 1-2 time a year canned good sale.

The cheese, yogurt, butter, etc. seem fine as well. I also bought Extra Virgin Olive Oil there last time for about 1/2 the cost at a reg. grocery store.

I did not like their peanut butter but that was several years ago so they might have changed it. I also didn't like their deluxe mac and cheese or onion soup mix but those 2 things I am really picky on. If you don't like it, you can get your money back, sometimes double back on some items.

If you aren't sure, I would suggest only buying 1 of each item you are interested in and then see what you think.

Aldi (the chain) is owned by the same family that owns Trader Joes...who also has their own brand. I LOVE Aldi. Yes, I've been there a couple of 'not so great' times, and seen some 'not so good' things, but I know what a bad cucumber looks like, and I just don't buy it. ;)

When the produce is good, which is 98% of the time, it's really good. I like that I can shop every two weeks, and the produce stays fresh in my fridge for that time, unlike Walmart where it would be bad within 2 days. I LOVE the prices. Everything fluctuates, so mushrooms might be 1.19 today, but .69 tomorrow. Watch for falling meat prices! We've gotten HUGE pork tenderloins there for 5.00 and ribs for 5.00...always chicken legs for 1.50 if you watch for the red tags.

I don't buy milk there, because I'm careful about hormones and I don't know enough about their milk, but it's always super cheap.

One time I bought a bag of apples there, and one was bad. They gave me a whole new bag of apples, no questions asked, and didn't even want the other bag back. The rest of the apples were good!

Just use your brain. You know if something doesn't look right, and they are really good about returns and exchanges if you get a 'surprise'.

FTR, my average grocery bill there is about 100-130 bi-weekly for a family of 5. Just sayin'. ;)

I just wanted to add, for homeschoolers...the store is small enough, that I can give each of my girls a list, and some money, and they can go off on their own and shop. In what other grocery store could you safely do that?

The employees are super friendly, and they always remember us.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

I am so glad an Aldi finally opened close to me.:) I go to the Wal Mart next door to get the things Aldi doesn't carry. Then I go to Aldi and get the rest.

I get so much more for my grocery dollar when I shop at Aldi. I have been going there for about a year now. The only problem I have had is a roast I bought didn't turn out well. If I had saved the receipt, I would have asked for a refund. Anyway, other than that, I am very happy with their quality. My Aldi is new and is super clean. The produce is very nice.

Dd likes to push her own cart and help shop and find items. :)

I just wanted to add, for homeschoolers...the store is small enough, that I can give each of my girls a list, and some money, and they can go off on their own and shop. In what other grocery store could you safely do that?

The employees are super friendly, and they always remember us.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

We do this too.

I also have my list and I send kids off to get an item or two and bring back to me. At Aldi you can do this because there aren't a ton of different brands to choose from.

We shop there for pretty much everything. But you still have to read labels if you're avoiding certain ingrediants. There are canned beans but the black and kidney beans don't have added sugar & preservatives.

I agree with what another poster mentioned about the freshness of the produce. It does last a lot longer in the fridge than anything I buy at a chain grocery store.

My favorite though is the season frozen mangos, yum.

The Black Friday sales are phenomenal. And there usually isn't a line because this isn't on most folks radar. We got our Wii from them a couple years back.

Thank you for all the great advice! I try so hard to get the best deals on food (shopping at Kroger, Meijer and Walmart almost weekly). I've noticed that Walmart prices have skyrocketed lately!! I used to buy almost everything there and just stock up on the deals at the other 2 stores. Now, I find that Walmart is pricier on a lot more of the items I usually buy. I'm really looking forward to slashing my grocery bill!!

We buy chips, milk, eggs, cheese, butter, canned beans, baking items (flour, sugar, mixes), jelly, peanut butter, frozen chicken breasts, and ice cream. I'm sure there's more, but it escapes me now. I was an Aldi skeptic at first (we just got Aldi here several months ago), but now I love it. I find something new that's just as good as name brand and much cheaper every time I go. The chips in particular must be name brand in different packaging. My kids are chip snobs, and we've gotten the Aldi label of Cool Ranch Doritos, Nacho Cheese Doritos, Tostitos, Lays, etc...they all taste exactly like the real thing.

Price and quality are equally bottom line for us. Shopping experience and aesthetics are irrelevant to me. I don't need to be pampered in a grocery store. The colors remind me of the 70's, and the inside of the store is not remotely attractive. But I always walk out the door with alot more of my monthly grocery cash left than when I go anywhere else.

I am an avid coupon shopper, but when there's not a good deal to be combined with a coupon, or if my grocery stockpile is low in a few categories, Aldi can't be beat on price. I have yet to buy anything that disappoints me. I only buy produce if it looks fabulous, and the produce is hit or miss. They did have pineapples all summer for $0.99, so I loaded up on those.

I look forward to hearing what others buy there. I'm always looking for new stuff to try there!

I live in Germany the land of Aldi and I absolutely love it. I have a huge stocked pantry because of it. I get loads of stuff there and it's absolutely wonderful. The produce is awesome and last twice as long as what I buy at the commissary. Can't say enough great things about Aldi. :)

Add me to the list of Aldi fans! I buy MOST of our groceries there. They don't always have everything we need, so I also make occasional trips to other stores when they are having great specials. Unless another store is having a REALLY, REALLY good special, Aldi is always cheaper.

Honestly, I thank God for Aldi - it has been such a blessing to our finances!

We've never been brand name people. Generic is just fine for us but we have noticed that a lot of items Aldi's sell taste the same as the name brand products we have tried in the past. My husband loves their "cheerios" cereal and the oats n honey one I love. We absolutely love their chocolate especially at Christmas time. I like the strawberry yogurt and their sliced specialty cheese are great. We used to buy our ground turkey there but we've noticed lately that it's slightly greasy so we are doing something else. We buy most of our canned goods from them but we don't care much for their soups except the cream style. Their vienna sausages are every bit as good as the name brand and our whole family loves their brownie mix. We think it has a much better chocolate taste and is on the fudgy side which is what we like. Like many have said you can't beat the prices and they do have a pretty good variety but they are mostly Aldi brands. We spend about $45-50 a week for a family of 4. It saves a whole lot on our food bill.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Um, so I didn't get the "big deal" on Aldi's. We moved a few months ago to an area with a few of them.

So after reading here how wonderful they are, I ventured in. I saw alot of off-brand foods, scary looking produce, and in general, kind of a odd, very "blah" grocery store. Plus they were also selling a few other non-food items, off-brand. Frankly, it was just kind of like a nice Dollar Tree store, although with more food and less other junk.

I mean, I guess if COST was my very bottom most important line, I guess, maybe this would be the place to go (not sure, though, cuz didn't really compare prices to regular grocery store off-brands).

But yeah, I didn't see what the fuss was.....did I miss it????

:iagree::iagree: I am with you, I went yesterday after this thread and I didn't like it at all. I don't buy processed foods, we have allergies to perservatives. I thought it was more like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. The workers at our Aldi were not friendly and the produce was terrible.

We have one nearby. We find the employees to be extremely helpful and friendly. We buy very little there, but it is nice to have such a cheap source of food when you need it! I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's and don't buy much pre-packaged or canned. I found Aldi's fresh produce to be horrible (here anyway). And, the couple times we tried their meat, it tasted funny.

So, I will go there to buy little things like baking soda, corn chips (they have an organic brand!), white flour, etc.

Oh - and, they always have an aisle where the stock changes. Last week, I almost bought a beautiful bed side table for $25!

Have fun!!!

Sounds like the quality of the stores varies greatly from location to location. We're lucky that both our local ones are really nice--always clean, with awesome produce. I went the other day and things I liked are baked potato chips (as good as Lays but half the price), their pumpkin spice coffee creamer, tortillas, salsa, tortilla chips, parmesan/romano cheese, cereals. One of our favorite go-to meals is their cheese ravioli with a jar of their spaghetti sauce (LOVE that sauce!). Enough to feed five with some leftovers, for $4. Not bad!

I live in Germany the land of Aldi and I absolutely love it. I have a huge stocked pantry because of it. I get loads of stuff there and it's absolutely wonderful. The produce is awesome and last twice as long as what I buy at the commissary. Can't say enough great things about Aldi. :)

Tammy, me too! We have a Aldi within walking distance and LOVE it. We buy most of our produce there as it lasts so much longer than what I buy at the commissary and for a fraction of a cost. We also buy our water there. The water in Germany is awful and you do NOT drink it. At the commissary we can get a 6 pack of 1.5 litre bottles for $2.57, but at Aldi, their water (which is spring water and delicious) is .19 cents for a 1.5 litre bottle. There is a .25 cent deposit on each bottle, but we take the bottles back every time, so we only had to pay it once.

The stores in the States aren't quite as good as the stores in Germany (IMO), but you can get great deals there.