Menu

a question about Elemental Science

Halcyon

I wanted to post this on the other thread, but posting from Italy on my blackberry and it won't let me (see, even in rome I can't stay away from this board!!!)

I am tempted to buy Elemental Science Chem when I return. Right now, my 3rd grader is doing McHenry's The Elements and he likes it a lot, but I think we need something a bit more foundational before finishing, and ES might be it.

Some questions, if I may: I feel weird that we would be starting with chemistry and not with bio, which I believe paige intended to be done first. Up until recently, we used k12.com science, and (call me anal) I am so not a curriculum hopper! Do u think it would be possible to do earth science and chemistry in one year, then physics next year (in 4th)? Also, anyone do Early Science from paige w a younger while an older kid works independently? Too much work for mom or doable? Thanks!!

Your welcome to jump into ES at any point, so long as your child is familiar with narration and not writing phobic. Each year steps up in what it requires from the student, but doesn't necessarily build on the previous year knowledge.

BTW, I'm totally jealous! Rome is on my list of places I want to go before I die :).

Thanks for answering! My youngest adores writing and could be considered 1st grade level-do you think the Biology might suit him better? He adores dictation and copywork- does the early science have that? Also, can you tell me, does the Chemistry work on a 5 day a week schedule or a 2 week. Meaning, do you plan completion in 36 weeks based on doing science 5 days a week, or 2 days a week? Thanks!

We are just starting Biology with my 2nd and 4th grader. I would have preferred to have adapted a higher grade programme for a younger student but I think this is workable. I'm just doing a search for recommended spines for an older student (Paige? :)). We are going to lapbook alongside and I'm bookmarking videos, books etc. I'm using a curriculum though as a guide and ES is very user friendly.

Hth

Thanks for answering! My youngest adores writing and could be considered 1st grade level-do you think the Biology might suit him better? He adores dictation and copywork- does the early science have that?

None of our programs contain copywork or dictation sentences. However, you could choose to have your student copy their narrations or take them from dictations if they can handle it. As for using Biology, you know your youngest best, if you think he can handle it, go for it!

Also, can you tell me, does the Chemistry work on a 5 day a week schedule or a 2 week. Meaning, do you plan completion in 36 weeks based on doing science 5 days a week, or 2 days a week? Thanks!

Right now, there is only a 5 day a week schedule. In about a week we will be releasing a new teacher's guide that contains both a 5 day a week and a 2 day a week schedule. Both will be based on 36 weeks for completion.

I'm just doing a search for recommended spines for an older student (Paige? ).

There are several books suggested in the teacher's guide, but others you could try would be the Usborne's Internet Linked Encyclopedia for the human body and plants portion and DK's Encyclopedia of Animals for the animal portion. Hope that helps!

Good to hear that the 2 day week plans will be out around next week. I will purchase then. :001_smile:

I've decided to go with your program, Paige, over Mr. Q science because yours follows the WTM way as far as narrations and such. :001_smile:

Still trying to decide if I should just have my 1st grader tag along in Chem or if I should get the Intro to Science course for him. Decisions, decisions..... It's hard getting everything done with Mr. Toddler hanging off my leg. ;)

Op, I think it's just fine jumping in at any point. We are. We've used NOEO and RSO in the past.

Pardon the interruption, but I have a question regarding the 2 day schedule. I recently purchased the ES Biology for the Grammar Stage. What is the policy for those of us who would like to do science 2x per week but don't have the new schedule? Will we need to purchase a new TM?

TIA!

I'll post more information about this over at the yahoo group once the schedules are up, but basically if you purchased the program within the last 6 months you will have the option of purchasing an upgrade file for a nominal fee.