Menu

dyslexics and analog clocks

I'm not sure what you mean by "stressing" it. Do you mean work really hard on it? In my dd's case, that didn't work. We had a clock with movable hands, clocks with huge numbers, clock stamps... nothing worked at all. She can now at fourteen read a clock (in fact, being an Aspie, she now insists on reading it to the precise minute), but it isn't natural to her, it still doesn't come easily -- in fact she still has occasional trouble distinguishing in some clocks which is the big hand!

This is a long-winded way to say that I'd hold off. There's no point trying to force comprehension if the wiring is at fault; wait until you get an evaluation, ask for tips and hints, and realize that it may take simply a lot of time for it to click.

(My dd still can't tell left from right.)

Most clocks are no longer analog. I'd put the skill in the "nice to have, but easily learned in ten years if necessary" box. Like Roman Numerals. My 16yo just learned to tell time on an analog clock this year...while teaching herself Calc I. It seems she needed glasses during the years she should have been practicing with analog clocks and digital clocks were so much easier to tease out. Shrug. No biggie.

Barb

Our dd's dyslexia is very mild. It still took a long time to learn to read an analog clock. I was pretty insistent on it, over the years. She learned, but never became truly proficient. This year she's off to high school, and we bought her a digital watch. In the end, they just have to be able to function.

Best,

NCW

We are waiting for my dd's appt. to be tested for dyslexia. She has trouble telling time on an analog clock. Should I stress this since I know it might be due to her (possible) dyslexia? Or should I just move on and then come back (if there are tips/tricks) once we get a diagnosis?

Kirsten,

Right Start has games that worked well here, the kids also adore the RS clock. I allow them to use the clock while playing the games so they don't get frustrated. The thing that confuses them is the fact that the big hand doesn't stay on the hour, then they have to remember if they use the number before or behind. Being dyslexic they are likely to get it mixed up. :001_huh:

Honestly I still have times when I can look at the clock and end up an hour off because I just recall it wrong. It is good to still work on, but when it is important (need to be somewhere by a certain time) I always find a digital clock to check, because I can't trust myself to read the analog correctly.

Heather

The thing that confuses them is the fact that the big hand doesn't stay on the hour, then they have to remember if they use the number before or behind. Being dyslexic they are likely to get it mixed up. :001_huh:

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally forgot about that aspect!!!!! Right now dd has been working on "until" and "past," and it's likely to kill us both.;)

She also can't tell which is the big hand and which is the little hand.

OK...we'll work on it, but we'll just do what we can and then move on. She's 10, so it's not like this is brand new stuff for her....

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally forgot about that aspect!!!!! Right now dd has been working on "until" and "past," and it's likely to kill us both.;)

She also can't tell which is the big hand and which is the little hand.

OK...we'll work on it, but we'll just do what we can and then move on. She's 10, so it's not like this is brand new stuff for her....

Have you used a circle, divided it into quarters and then laid it over the clock face for her to "see it" with? I also then put 1/4=15 in each quarter so they can more easily make the connection between quarter after equaling 15 min. after and quarter till equaling 15 min. till. My kids struggle with the quarters too. Like you I don't overly stress about it. Mastery here is not necessary, especially because in my case I have mastery of the concept but will still do the brain flip thing and end up an hour off. :glare:

Heather

It might be that the real issue is vision, as in visual discrimination and visual processing. She can't discriminate between the large and small hands. Then you have lots of lines and fine focusing. Just one more reason to consider an exam by a COVD doc. We tell time quickly because we remember where the lines are supposed to be for certain times. A dc with poor visual memory skills isn't going to.

It might be that the real issue is vision, as in visual discrimination and visual processing. She can't discriminate between the large and small hands. Then you have lots of lines and fine focusing. Just one more reason to consider an exam by a COVD doc. We tell time quickly because we remember where the lines are supposed to be for certain times. A dc with poor visual memory skills isn't going to.

VERY interesting. I just looked up the COVD webpage, and my dd has a LOT of the symptoms, particularly the headaches and tiring easily when reading. Actually my 4 oldest ones and I all have some of the symptoms!:001_huh: Found a doctor that is local to me. A friend of mine uses her, and she REALLY likes her - she said she treats her as an educator and asks her lots of questions.

Now to see what insurance will do....:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the info.!

The doc might be good or well-liked in general, but I'd talk with someone who has used that doc for THERAPY before you start. Most docs will want to do their own evaluation before therapy, meaning you'd have to start all over again if you change docs. Simply call the doc and ask if they have parent information nights, clients you can talk with who have done therapy, etc.