Menu

What is the difference?

naturegirl7

The sequence is slightly different. There are materials added back to the Satandards Edition (from earlier Primary Mathematics editions from Singapore) that were not included in the US Edition.

The Standards Edition has more built-in review, more pages, is less expensive on a per-page basis (even when it is full color as the Textbooks are vs the b/w US edition). The HIGs for the Standards Edition are vastly improved over the earlier US Edition which ought to be a major consideration for parents IMO. Everything that is in the US Edition is also in the Standards Edition (plus more).

The basic method is the same.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We use the U.S., mostly because it is cheaper, but I glad that we don't have all the extra review pages as so far there have been more than enough in just the work books. So cheaper per page wouldn't matter because we would probably skip some anyway.

Although next week both boys will be ready for the B level of thier grade and we will be doing only the Intensive Practice, so we'll see how that goes ;) And there aren't Intensive Practice for the Standards Edition right?

We also haven't used the HIG and probably won't so that doesn't matter to us either.

Mallory (who often agrees with Spy Car about elementary math instrution, but still is very happy with the U.S. Edition :D)

And there aren't Intensive Practice for the Standards Edition right?

Nope. Not yet. The IP books are essential for our math program. They are more challenging and therefore keep interest up. So we use the US Edition IPS.

We also haven't used the HIG and probably won't so that doesn't matter to us either.

I think many parents are unaware that in Singapore the teachers would be expected to teach things that are not in the textbooks/workbooks themselves, and the HIGs try to bridge those gaps, as well as providing ideas for activities that are tied to the lessons, so math is just "workbooks." Some parents may not need the hand-holding, others may not realize what they are missing.

Mallory (who often agrees with Spy Car about elementary math instrution, but still is very happy with the U.S. Edition :D)

Why not be happy? It is 90% (or so) the same :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

The sequence is slightly different. There are materials added back to the Satandards Edition (from earlier Primary Mathematics editions from Singapore) that were not included in the US Edition.

The Standards Edition has more built-in review, more pages, is less expensive on a per-page basis (even when it is full color as the Textbooks are vs the b/w US edition). The HIGs for the Standards Edition are vastly improved over the earlier US Edition which ought to be a major consideration for parents IMO. Everything that is in the US Edition is also in the Standards Edition (plus more).

The basic method is the same.

Bill

This must be the edition that confuses me.

I've used the US edition since the Pre-Standards days and looked hard at the standards when it first came out. I didn't see enough to make me want to change and the higher cost was a negative. I also use the IP (usually 1/2 year below level) and they are a nice addition to the workbook. I also didn't use HIG in the beginning (there weren't any) but now find them highly valuable (and I have a math background) for the games and ideas that help reinforce the concepts.

Maybe if you live in CA you want their standards, otherwise, not much difference IMO.

Bill (who evidently needs to improve on his iPad virtual key-boarding skills :tongue_smilie:)

Heh. Thought you'd hoisted one too many. We did start talking about pints what...2 or 3 hours ago?

Barb (who thinks Bill needs to stick that "Sent from my iPad" notification on the end of his posts)

We started using Singapore Math when my now 8 yo was a Kdger. We started w/ the US Edition b/c that's all there was. At 2A Primary we switched over to Standards. Although this was a more expensive route (You can frequently find US Edition used, rarely the Stds) we decided that it was worth the expense for us. We are now on 3A. We like the Stds edition, appreicate the reviews and like the layout of the workbooks. I didn't think I would need the HIG guides. However, when I found one used for this year I got it and am SO glad I did. While I haven't used it to teach it has saved me TONS of time in grading and checking problems. We don't do any hands-on or manipulatives, we just do the Textbook and Workbook as written. We also use the Intensive Practice - 1/2 semester behind, alternating this w/ Miquon. (Which my son loves). So to me it doesn't matter that this doesn't perfectly sync up w/ the Stds Edition.

We've already bought ahead for next year b/c I found some items used and are set for SM4 Stds Edition.

BTW.... I am a curriculum hopper. Singapore Math is one of the few things I've stuck w/ :)

KB