Menu

A treasury of comments from previously-homeschooled college students

RegGuheert

Jane, I loved the story and am glad to hear that the pie made it to Wooster virtually unscathed.

Nan, your three sons (Hmm, maybe you could do a TV show. Oh, wait, it's been done!) sound as though they're enjoying life. More celery in the soup sounds like a plan to me, too.

Regards,

Kareni

My dd is dual-enrolled and works as a tutor in the math center of the local cc. The other day a woman in her mid 30's came in, sat down and asked for help. When dd asked what she needed help with, the woman replied logarithms. Dd said she loves logarithms and would gladly help her, to which the woman responded, "You're a freak!"

Grrrr.

my dd just finished her first year away. She posted this last week on FB

"Watching everybody grow up around you... I think that's the most beautiful thing about growing up yourself... and you realise the struggles are only temporary... "

It's great to have her home for the summer (even though it looks like she'll be away as much as home :tongue_smilie: ) She seems to really have missed her brothers & has a new appreciation for "home" & "family."

Edited by Deb in NZ

"I eat lunch with profs when I see them eating alone. I mean, really, profs are great people, they're interesting, engaging, and they don't like to eat alone any more than I do. Obviously, if they're eating in the student area they want to be with students."

ER said the same thing. He also commented, "The few other homeschoolers on campus are mostly social misfits." He was delighted that he fit in so well socially that his friends were surprised to learn that he was homeschooled.

Unfortunately, he also noted that almost all the other homeschooled students he'd met on campus were having to take remedial classes--an all-too-common theme in our area. :glare: ER said, "Now I'm glad you made me work so hard."

Edited by ereks mom

He is taking a notoriously difficult music history class this semester, and he said that at the beginning of the semester, the professor told the class, "Those of you who were homeschooled will be at a distinct advantage over those who went to public school or private school, because you will not be accustomed to someone feeding you information; you will know how to study and learn material on your own."

ER has an A in the class; he made 98 on his most recent paper. His "friend"--who constantly teases ER about being "a nerdy homeschooler"--was very happy with his 72 because he didn't expect to pass... BTW, ER doesn't take it seriously when this guy teases him; ER is very popular among the students, while the other guy... not so much. ;)

Edited by ereks mom