Menu

S/O Singapore math-if ds has his own strategies, do I need to teach Singapore's?

HappyGrace

Sorry, another question about ds7-he can do the math in his head quickly, and uses his own strategies. I want to move forward with him more quickly in Singapore (see other thread), but how important is it that he knows their strategies first?

For instance-if he adds 142+24 in his head and I ask him how he did it, he says he added the 140 and the 20 and then the 2 and 4. His strategies are usually sound. Sometimes though he can't tell me how he did it.

But now that we are hitting regrouping, he doesn't have any strategies yet for that (he can do it if only one of the numbers is regrouped.)

Also I'm wondering if it's going to come back to bite us that he doesn't know the different Singapore ways of breaking numbers apart (especially with subtraction, and especially with regrouping), like how they tell you for 45-7 to break the 45 into 5 and 40 and then do it as 33+5, OR break the 45 into 35 and 10 and then do it as 35+3 OR into 30 and 15 and do it as 30+8. He would never think of these on his own, and I think he will need them going forward.

I never learned it this way so I'm teaching this all to myself on the fly, using the HIGs and Dr. Ma's book and Dr. Wu's website, etc.

A huge problem is that he does NOT like to be "taught" strategies and doesn't really understand it when I try to teach it to him. So do I drop trying to teach the strategies, or will that be a huge mistake later on? My gut tells me he needs these strategies, especially now that we're getting into muddier waters where he doesn't know any strategies!

You mentioned using the HIG. I've noticed that some places the HIG says kids can use whatever method they want to solve a problem. At those times, I let dd9 use her own strategies.

When a new strategy is introduced in the HIG, I do teach it and I do make sure dd understands it. She'll *often* complain *bitterly* about preferring her own methods. :tongue_smilie: I praise her for having her own methods, tell her that she needs to learn the Singapore method too, and that once she demonstrates understanding we'll move on. I have noticed that sometimes she adopts the methods that seemed to take longer at first.

I alos make a point of asking her what method she is using to solve problems. I do find it interesting, even if I don't get it, and it seems to validate her way of thinking. I hope that my positive response to her strategies opens her mind a little toward accepting someone else's strategies. ;)

Sorry, another question about ds7-he can do the math in his head quickly, and uses his own strategies. I want to move forward with him more quickly in Singapore (see other thread), but how important is it that he knows their strategies first?

For instance-if he adds 142+24 in his head and I ask him how he did it, he says he added the 140 and the 20 and then the 2 and 4. His strategies are usually sound. Sometimes though he can't tell me how he did it.

But now that we are hitting regrouping, he doesn't have any strategies yet for that (he can do it if only one of the numbers is regrouped.)

Also I'm wondering if it's going to come back to bite us that he doesn't know the different Singapore ways of breaking numbers apart (especially with subtraction, and especially with regrouping), like how they tell you for 45-7 to break the 45 into 5 and 40 and then do it as 33+5, OR break the 45 into 35 and 10 and then do it as 35+3 OR into 30 and 15 and do it as 30+8. He would never think of these on his own, and I think he will need them going forward.

I never learned it this way so I'm teaching this all to myself on the fly, using the HIGs and Dr. Ma's book and Dr. Wu's website, etc.

A huge problem is that he does NOT like to be "taught" strategies and doesn't really understand it when I try to teach it to him. So do I drop trying to teach the strategies, or will that be a huge mistake later on? My gut tells me he needs these strategies, especially now that we're getting into muddier waters where he doesn't know any strategies!

That sounds exactly like my 8 year old! I started him out with Math Mammoth but he became so frustrated with all the steps involved in learning their strategies. He does everything in his head as well, and usually comes up with the right answer. I'm going to try Miquon with him for a while and see how he likes that.

I'll be following this thread to see what others say.

I have two boys who are 9 and 7 and much like this with Singapore. I have been repeating the fact that it is good to know several different ways to approach a math problem or concept. I always ask them how they do it (because much of their math is mental, particularly the 7 year old's) and praise their method. At times, I notice that they have a method that will work for smaller numbers/less complex problems, and I explain that, then teach the Singapore method in addition to their method. I do encounter some resistance, but that's okay. After hearing me state that it is good to know several different ways to approach math problems over and over again, this concept has jelled with them and they resist less. When I ask my 7 year old to explain how he arrived at a correct answer, he often will explain in a way that makes no sense to me. lol I think that is because he has a good method but lacks the ability to explain it/teach it to someone else, which is a different skill. If my kids have a sound method which will see them through in the long haul which differs from the Singapore way, I still go over the Singapore method and present this as an alternative option. I want them to look at math from as many different perspectives as possible.:001_smile: