Menu

Allergies question

Another question made me think of this:

My son when he was born had seizures and was on phenobaritol for 2 years. (Tried to wean him 2x earlier but seizures returned) When we weaned him off at 2 he was ok and has never had another seizure. He had horrible exema when he was a baby, as I later discovered probably because of milk "I" drank. He broke out in hives when he pulled my cereal on top of him wherever the milk hit him. I couldn't give him any baby food with milk in it. However, he could eat yogurt all day long with no adverse affects. So that and milk with calcium was his calcium. Later as a toddler, peanut butter broke him out in hives when it hit his skin, so we avoided peanuts. HOWEVER, he has things fried in peanut oil all the time and it doesn't affect him. Weird...my dh doesn't think he's really allergic and I haven't put peanut butter on his skin in years (He's 15 1/2 now!!!) When he was in elementary school, if he ate ketchup or any tomato products a rash would flare up on his cheek immediately and then fade in an hour or two..

Fast forward to this teenage boy now. He takes Zyrtec daily for allergies and if he mows even though he wears a mask, he will sometimes have to take his inhaler. He only has to use his inhaler a couple of times a year. But dust really bothers him.

I'm considering whether or not to take him to an allergist along with my 8yo girl, who doesn't have food issues but if she plays in tall grass she breaks out in hives where the grass touches her. Spring is always awful, she has exzema every spring when the yellow pollen is out, sneezing, has to use eye drops etc. I have managed to avoid having to use steriods for the the last few years by starting her creams and zyrtec IMMEDIATELY and without fail int he spring, but it is a constant battle, but at least no prednisone.

Anyway, anyone else have a child with wierd allergies??

Christine

Yes, try an allergist. I think your DS is old enough for allergy shots. I took those for two years, and although they did not clear up my allergies completely, they mitigated them a lot. They are most effective on seasonal allergies to pollens and plants, so they would probably be really helpful to your DS.

Yes, take him to an allergist and ask for comprehensive allergy testing, including the foods which you think are a problem. Also do the same for your daughter.

My 6.9yr old son receives allergy injections twice a week for envriomental allergies. We just started them and since we are doing the build-up, it will be about 5yrs before we can stop them and hopefully living without a pharmacy here at the house.

Yes, I'd take him to an allergist.

Is there any way that he can stop mowing the grass? I have a really bad grass/dust/tree/pollen allergy and if someone asked me to mow the grass, there's no way that I would do it. And I don't even have to use an inhaler. If it effects his breathing, I wouldn't want him doing it.

Dh has asthma as well and has to use his inhaler a lot. That would leave me or his younger brother mowing our 50 acres.. well.. maybe just 3acres, the rest the cows eat.. He wears a mask and most of the time he is fine. The problem is him being outside when others are mowing...as he isn't wearing a mask. That said, we aren't mowing now because we haven't had any rain here in 2 months. Our pasture and grass have never, ever been this dry and dead. We have no chance of rain for 2 more weeks at least. That tropical storm that came to Texas flooded my mom in ARlington and lots of rain for my in-laws, but we didn't get a drop!!!! It went all around us. The farmers here that normally harvest hay, haven't been able to and don't even have enough to feed their own cattle much less sell. I'm not sure what we'll do.

Christine