Menu

A new comment about homeschoolers!

I went to my neighborhood bunco game tonight and chatted with my friend who teaches at the local college. I love talking with her about her classes because I gain insight into what she feels students are lacking (she teaches English).

Anyway, she has three homeschoolers in one class and a couple of others in the rest of her classes. They are all high school students doing dual credit. I asked if they were doing us proud or embarrassing us. She said they were bright and good students but that they need to work on reading instructions and following them rather than needing to be told.

She also said they don't seem to know what to do with their arms when they talk and they seem to do weird things with them!!!:001_huh::lol:

I asked if this was different than the typical student and she said that yes, it stood out with the homeschoolers.

I almost asked about their shoes, but didn't want to have to explain myself.

:D

I went to my neighborhood bunco game tonight and chatted with my friend who teaches at the local college. I love talking with her about her classes because I gain insight into what she feels students are lacking (she teaches English).

Anyway, she has three homeschoolers in one class and a couple of others in the rest of her classes. They are all high school students doing dual credit. I asked if they were doing us proud or embarrassing us. She said they were bright and good students but that they need to work on reading instructions and following them rather than needing to be told.

That makes sense. My son is only 8, but I've been thinking that really soon I'm going to stop reading the directions TO him and just have them read them himself.

She also said they don't seem to know what to do with their arms when they talk and they seem to do weird things with them!!!:001_huh::lol:

Ok---what exactly are they doing with their arms??? Very curious.

DD moves her arms a lot.

My kids move their arms a lot too, but that's because they're trying to figure out how to make arm farts. All their friends know how, but my boys can't figure it out. They're so frustrated!

I guess arm-farting is a school thing...

That professor is just lucky they didn't get up and look for a snack. Isn't that the best part of home schooling? :lol: Actually my dd is auditing a class at a private university and the professor asked her about homeschooling and offered to write her a college recommendation.

That professor is just lucky they didn't get up and look for a snack. Isn't that the best part of home schooling? :lol:

That's the best part for my kids, I'm sure. I'll be in the middle of reading something to them and they disappear. "Where'd y'all go?" "Getting a snack!"

Honestly, it sounds to me like this professor is basing her conclusions on just a few students. Having had a few homeschoolers in her classes is a very long way from her being an expert on the behavior of homeschoolers. How silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these students are siblings and have similar habits.

Homeschoolers, just like any other group of children, are very diverse in their personalities and habits. :001_rolleyes:

I asked if this was different than the typical student and she said that yes, it stood out with the homeschoolers.

She said they were bright and good students but that they need to work on reading instructions and following them rather than needing to be told.

I do not know how many times a day I say to dd, "Well, what do the instructions say?" or "What did the book say to do?" Or there's the ever-famous lament, "The book asks a question about XYZ but it doesn't talk about that at all!" To which I reply, "OH? You mean they gave you questions to answer about a topic not covered? Huh. Go read it again." And lo and behold, there's that hidden paragraph about XYZ.

It's maddening. Maddening, I say.

Anyway, she has three homeschoolers in one class and a couple of others in the rest of her classes. They are all high school students doing dual credit. I asked if they were doing us proud or embarrassing us.

How does she know they're homeschooled? I mean, other than their nice shoes :tongue_smilie:

My daughter's professors don't even know she's a high schooler, much less a homeschooler. I think I prefer it that way. I'm certain she would.

The more I think about the comments the professor made about homeschoolers based on the few students this professor has had contact with, the more ridiculous the thinking skills of this professor sounds. :tongue_smilie: Good grief, the professor has observed a couple of students and says this

"She also said they don't seem to know what to do with their arms when they talk and they seem to do weird things with them!" I would say that is a professor with very little common sense.Is this professor aware that many, many thousands, if not millions, of students are or have been homeschooled and she is basing this on about 5 students ? :blink: Just the fact that she would even say this takes away from her credibility in my mind.

Edited by Miss Sherry

The more I think about the comments the professor made about homeschoolers based on the few students this professor has had contact with, the more ridiculous the thinking skills of this professor sounds. :tongue_smilie: Good grief, the professor has observed a couple of students and says this

"She also said they don't seem to know what to do with their arms when they talk and they seem to do weird things with them!" I would say that is a professor with very little common sense.Is this professor aware that many, many thousands, if not millions, of students are or have been homeschooled and she is basing this on about 5 students ? :blink: Just the fact that she would even say this takes away from her credibility in my mind.

Sherry, calm down! She's basing it on 5 students. She knows that and she wasn't extrapolating the weird arm movement to the entire homeschooled population, I promise. She also knows my kids and the other three homeschoolers in our little neighborhood and thinks they are just great.

We all got a good laugh out of it, and that's why I shared it here. She meant no harm, and mentioned other things, both positive and negative about these students.

How does she know they're homeschooled? I mean, other than their nice shoes :tongue_smilie:

My daughter's professors don't even know she's a high schooler, much less a homeschooler. I think I prefer it that way. I'm certain she would.

I'm not sure, but she did mention that they are so young (14 or 15 I think). Also, one of the students started bugging her daily the day after a paper was turned in. She finally asked the girl how many students her mom had, and when she replied "one", my friend told her she had over 100, so she'd have to wait a couple of days to get her paper back.

So she does know, but I'm not sure how it came up.

I do not know how many times a day I say to dd, "Well, what do the instructions say?" or "What did the book say to do?" Or there's the ever-famous lament, "The book asks a question about XYZ but it doesn't talk about that at all!" To which I reply, "OH? You mean they gave you questions to answer about a topic not covered? Huh. Go read it again." And lo and behold, there's that hidden paragraph about XYZ.

I KNOW! I actually told her I could see how this could be true with homeschoolers. I think it's an easy trap to fall into as hsing moms.

My kids move their arms a lot too, but that's because they're trying to figure out how to make arm farts. All their friends know how, but my boys can't figure it out. They're so frustrated!

I guess arm-farting is a school thing...

I'll let her know that's probably what's going on. :lol::lol::lol:

That professor is just lucky they didn't get up and look for a snack. Isn't that the best part of home schooling? :lol: Actually my dd is auditing a class at a private university and the professor asked her about homeschooling and offered to write her a college recommendation.

Awesome! And :lol: about the snacks!

I'm about ready to quit snack time at our house! I can't tell you how many times one or another of my dd will get up and wander off to find "something to eat" 5 minutes after lunch!!! I can just see it progressing to college. "BUT I"M STARVINGGG!!!!" :lol:

Okay, I've been homeschooling for ~7 years and been on these boards for several . . .

So why don't I get it? What's with the shoes? Homeschoolers have nice shoes? I'm sure there's history there but I don't know it. Enlightenment?

And what's with the arms? My kid has homeschooled all along and doesn't do anything particularly odd with her arms . . . what could they possibly be doing? or not doing?

Yours Truly,

The Dumbest Rock in the Box (hmm, I like it . . . I may change my moniker)

Okay, I've been homeschooling for ~7 years and been on these boards for several . . .

So why don't I get it? What's with the shoes? Homeschoolers have nice shoes? I'm sure there's history there but I don't know it. Enlightenment?

And what's with the arms? My kid has homeschooled all along and doesn't do anything particularly odd with her arms . . . what could they possibly be doing? or not doing?

Yours Truly,

I dont' remember the specifics, but years ago, on the old board, someone posted about a comment they received about homeschoolers. "Oh, you homeschool? You guys always have the nicest shoes!" Or something like that. I can't remember the specifics, but it was funny and it just stuck as one of those perpetual board jokes.

Yours Truly,

It goes back to a post...

Anyway, basically homeschooler always have shoes that look nice/new because they are home all day and don't ever wear them! :D

That just made me LOL!

You know, that sounds similar to a jc professor who's a friend of ours. He's made comments about homeschooled kids and usually they're nit-picky social type things - "Don't know how to participate in class discussions", etc. I find this to be interesting. It's like he's looking for something to criticize. I usually blow him off because those are stupid things to criticize. It's not like the kids are behaviour problems and he's never once said they're behind academically. I think that once kids get into a classroom setting they're going to pick up on social cues. I'd be curious, is this professor you talked to talking about kids their first semester out of being homeschooled? How are the kids after they've been in a college setting a semester or two?

I wonder what she'd think of my son, who at various times is sitting on the desk or under the desk. :001_huh:

My sons arms would be moving because he'd be uncomfortable wearing a shirt and shoes. Some days I swear I'm educating Tarzan.

:lol::lol::lol: I hope he at least wears shorts! Or, is he in a loin cloth? :D

You know, that sounds similar to a jc professor who's a friend of ours. He's made comments about homeschooled kids and usually they're nit-picky social type things - "Don't know how to participate in class discussions", etc. I find this to be interesting. It's like he's looking for something to criticize. I usually blow him off because those are stupid things to criticize. It's not like the kids are behaviour problems and he's never once said they're behind academically. I think that once kids get into a classroom setting they're going to pick up on social cues. I'd be curious, is this professor you talked to talking about kids their first semester out of being homeschooled? How are the kids after they've been in a college setting a semester or two?

Well, it's freshman English, so it's probably their first semester. They are young high school students. And that's the only class she teaches, so I guess she doesn't know. Plus, she's not really trying to paint a broad stroke here. She knows it's a small handful and this is the first semester she's noticed such a thing.

Also, she doesn't really hold back her thoughts on public school students either, and they tend to be similar to the things SWB has said (thought I'm sure it's worse because of the institution).

It's like he's looking for something to criticize.

Bingo! I wonder how many little quirks of his NON-home schooled students fly right over his radar. Probably a lot as he's too busy watching the home schooled kids for their "differences".

We all know darn well that many public schooled kids enter college under prepared--sometimes grossly so. You'd think the lack of academic skills would be a MUCH bigger fish for the college professor to fry than a few social quirks (real or imagined). Geez.

I wonder if these homeschooled students are the type to talk with their hands? lots of broad gestures, etc.

if so, it's not a homeschooling thing. I've done the same thing my entire life and I was public schooled. (though maybe they discourage it now? I don't really think about it, usually. So it would be a difficult habit to break now)

I remember saying the same thing to my parents and they would reply the same to me LOL! That was in public school!

The one thing that has always stood about with my son is that if he is confused he will immediately ask for help. He did this in swimming lessons, in art classes, and of course at home.

So while I don't have all the facts of her following instructions comment, perhaps the homeschoolers ask more questions about assignments and want more in depth explanations?

I'm still stuck on the arm movement thing--what kinds of things can you actually do with your arms while you're sitting in a class, presumably listening to a lecture and taking notes? I just can't picture it...maybe stretching too often? I haven't noticed my kids moving their arms a lot, but it it's truly a "thing" that homeschoolers tend to do, I'd like to look out for it. :001_huh:

I've have lurked on this board for many, many years. The shoe thing started because someone was in a doctor's office with her children and there was a grouchy lady in there that commented on the son's shoes. She seemed angry that a homeschooled boy had nice shoes when other kids didn't. Very strange.

You know, that sounds similar to a jc professor who's a friend of ours. He's made comments about homeschooled kids and usually they're nit-picky social type things - "Don't know how to participate in class discussions", etc. I find this to be interesting. It's like he's looking for something to criticize. I usually blow him off because those are stupid things to criticize. It's not like the kids are behaviour problems and he's never once said they're behind academically.

Huh. I went to a rigorous liberal arts college, and class discussion was a HUGE part of my education. So to me, "doesn't know how to participate in class discussions" is a serious problem, not a "nit-picky social type thing."

Is it really so hard to believe that there might be some areas in which homeschoolers need more preparation?

Is it really so hard to believe that there might be some areas in which homeschoolers need more preparation?

This! I posted this because I thought the arm thing was funny and I'm pretty sure based on the hundreds of homeschoolers I know, that it's not a significant problem in the homeschool population. It's right up there with needing to snack and nice shoes. Funny.

However, following directions and participating in class discussions, those are very important in my opinion. If a college professor notices a deficiency in these areas among homeschoolers, I'm going to sit up and listen. This is constructive criticism and gives me an opportunity to examine what we are doing so that I can give my kids the best in their education.

Not all of us are participating in classroom situations like coops, but the reality is our kids will be in a classroom someday. At least the great majority of them will be - in college, in training for work, etc. It's an important part of life, like it or not, and I want my kids to be prepared.

It's not in there AT ALL I promise I looked over and over again....

I'm still stuck on the arm movement thing--what kinds of things can you actually do with your arms while you're sitting in a class, presumably listening to a lecture and taking notes? I just can't picture it...maybe stretching too often? I haven't noticed my kids moving their arms a lot, but it it's truly a "thing" that homeschoolers tend to do, I'd like to look out for it. :001_huh:

No, it's while they are talking. She specifically said they didn't seem to know what to do with their arms when they are talking. I don't knowwhat they do, but we all laughed and I didn't take it too seriously. I've never noticed any kids in our 300+ family hs group do this, so I don't think it's a "thing"!

I don't know specifically what she was referring to, but I could immediately picture my dd when I read about funny arm movements. My boys don't do this, but dd will strethch her arms over her head and wind them around the back of her chair, or she'll play with her hair with her elbows sticking straight up. It doesn't help that she's at that long skinny age where she looks like all arms and legs. I don't think it's necessarily a trend in homeschoolers, but I bet ps kids with tendencies to flap their arms around would have had it trained out of them early, so that the teacher didn't always think they were raising their hands.

The arm thing? The instructions thing I can absolutely see, but the arm thing? I just laughed it off, but do you think there is a weird homeschooler arm movement issue?

No, not *really*. But I do think that many home schooled kids (and remember, lol, I was one once-upon-a-time) have some mild social awkwardness in large groups of same-age peers. Hm, perhaps "awkwardness" isn't quite the right word. Sometimes they simply aren't habituated in exactly the same way. And I can see that coming through in a *difference* in the way they carry themselves and the types of unconscious movements they make when compared to a class full of more traditionally-schooled peers. I doubt it would stand out in any group of home schoolers -- but placed in a group of kids with 13+ years of large-classroom education, yes, I would *expect* differences like that. Some more pronounced than others, depending on the kids.

I doubt it's any specific arm movements, lol, but something that could be perceived as awkwardness? Sure.

Alternately, it's possible she's referring to their inability to stand up in front of class and address a group. Many home schooled kids don't have a lot of opportunity to stand up and practice doing short presentations of material, the way kids in a classroom would. It's not true for all home schoolers, obviously. But kids in school are forced to practice this skill, and some home schoolers are not.

My dd attended an honors class in cc and she and the one other homeschooler were the most likely to be talking in a class discussion- why? Because they were the best prepared, most likely. Oh, and dd is very shy so it isn't like this is a natural way for her to behave. But her philosophy of doing the right thing includes talking in a discussion class.

Huh. I went to a rigorous liberal arts college, and class discussion was a HUGE part of my education. So to me, "doesn't know how to participate in class discussions" is a serious problem, not a "nit-picky social type thing."

I don't think there's any area where we can say that homeschoolers in general are doing great or aren't doing great.

As far as class discussions go, I generally find that homeschoolers are much more articulate than other youth. I am always surprised when I come across a ps kid who will look me in the eye and speak clearly, but that is typical behavior for hs'ers. That's my experience, but someone else's experience might be the opposite.

As for college professors, I've heard that homeschoolers need more writing instruction and practice... and I've heard that they can pick homeschoolers out by the (good) quality of their writing. I've heard that homeschoolers are socially stunted... and I've heard that they are strong leaders who take initiative rather than waiting for someone to tell them what to do. I've heard that homeschoolers can't meet deadlines... and I've heard that homeschoolers are wonderful because they are self-motivated and always meet deadlines.

Homeschoolers are individuals who have different strengths and weaknesses. People might attribute those characteristics to homeschooling, but in most cases, the student would have had those same strengths and weaknesses in any school setting.

That's the best part for my kids, I'm sure. I'll be in the middle of reading something to them and they disappear. "Where'd y'all go?" "Getting a snack!"

Awesome! And :lol: about the snacks!

I'm about ready to quit snack time at our house! I can't tell you how many times one or another of my dd will get up and wander off to find "something to eat" 5 minutes after lunch!!! I can just see it progressing to college. "BUT I"M STARVINGGG!!!!" :lol:

Sooo funny! :lol::lol: I'm very glad to hear that it's not just my kids who do this!

I don't think there's any area where we can say that homeschoolers in general are doing great or aren't doing great.

As far as class discussions go, I generally find that homeschoolers are much more articulate than other youth. I am always surprised when I come across a ps kid who will look me in the eye and speak clearly, but that is typical behavior for hs'ers. That's my experience, but someone else's experience might be the opposite.

As for college professors, I've heard that homeschoolers need more writing instruction and practice... and I've heard that they can pick homeschoolers out by the (good) quality of their writing. I've heard that homeschoolers are socially stunted... and I've heard that they are strong leaders who take initiative rather than waiting for someone to tell them what to do. I've heard that homeschoolers can't meet deadlines... and I've heard that homeschoolers are wonderful because they are self-motivated and always meet deadlines.

Homeschoolers are individuals who have different strengths and weaknesses. People might attribute those characteristics to homeschooling, but in most cases, the student would have had those same strengths and weaknesses in any school setting.

:iagree: Sounds about right.

:iagree:

Lisa