Menu

Veritas Press Bible and History

Guest littleleannzers

Guest littleleannzers

I am very interested in the Veritas Press History and Bible programs, but can't find much information about what is included in the different levels. For instance, I know that in second grade history Old Testament and Egypt are covered, but I'm not able to find what specific events are focused on in the flashcards and memory song. I love the concept behind the program, but I'm curious how they boil down such large time periods to 30-some flashcards.

Does anyone out there use the program who would be able to give me an idea of what is included in one of the levels, especially in the history program?

The first year - OT and Ancient Egypt includes these events/persons:

Creation

The Fall

Cain & Abel

The Flood

The Tower of Babel

Unification of Egypt

Old Kingdom

First Intermediate Period

Call & Covenant with Abraham (2 separate cards)

Hagar & Ishmael

Sodom & Gomorrah

Sacrifice of Isaac

Middle Kingdom

Joseph as a slave

Famine in Egypt

12 Tribes of Israel

2nd Intermediate Period

Code of Hammurabi

Hyksos Invasion

Early New Kingdom

The Birth of Moses

Plagues in Egypt

The Exodus

The 10 Commandments

Amenhotep IV

Tutankhamen

Later New Kingdom

Davidic Kingdom

Solomon's Kingdom

Alexander the Great

Egypt Falls to Rome

Each card includes references to a number of different resources where more info can be found on the topic.

We are using the EasyClassical schedule that combines the VP cards w/ SOTW.

Guest littleleannzers

Thanks for the list- it gives me a good idea of how broadly things are covered. I will check out the free 30-day trial, too- perfect timing!

Is this what y'all are talking about? It sounds fabulous and I will be using SOTW1 this year. However, I don't need the self paced course-do I need the self paced course to use the package??

No you do not need the self-paced class for this. Your link is for the Teacher's Manual and cards along with the CD for the memory song which is a song that helps them learn all 32 cards in order. The TM contains worksheets, tests, projects etc to go along with each card. Each card has a list of resources you could use to read along with the card (you don't pick them all by any means). I prefer to get the kit that has the TM on what they call an enhanced CD rather than in book form. It contains the entire TM in pdf form so you can print off the worksheets or project sheets as you need them rather than having to copy from the book.

Also, if you want a full plan with exact books and page numbers for each card, what to teach to the kids, how to present the info, writing assignments for older kids etc. You can get the Scholars plans for $49. That is VP history scripted for you.

Heather

No you do not need the self-paced class for this. Your link is for the Teacher's Manual and cards along with the CD for the memory song which is a song that helps them learn all 32 cards in order. The TM contains worksheets, tests, projects etc to go along with each card. Each card has a list of resources you could use to read along with the card (you don't pick them all by any means). I prefer to get the kit that has the TM on what they call an enhanced CD rather than in book form. It contains the entire TM in pdf form so you can print off the worksheets or project sheets as you need them rather than having to copy from the book.

Also, if you want a full plan with exact books and page numbers for each card, what to teach to the kids, how to present the info, writing assignments for older kids etc. You can get the Scholars plans for $49. That is VP history scripted for you.

Heather

The site says it's $99 for scholar plans. Am I missing something? And the Scholar plan is just detailed instructions for the teacher? You would use it instead of the TM in the link I provided?

I'm using VP for the first time this year but we're using SOTW with it as one of the resource books (which is a lot of fun for me because I love SOTW).

My kids are "getting it" this way. I think it's because we're presenting a small bite of info on the card that they can digest easily and then backing it up with a lot of resource info. It's working and life is happier here this year.

The site says it's $99 for scholar plans. Am I missing something? And the Scholar plan is just detailed instructions for the teacher? You would use it instead of the TM in the link I provided?

One subject of Scholars plans is $49. $99 is for the plans for all subjects. Scholars would be used with the TM. The TM has the actual worksheets etc while the Scholars tells you what to use, when to do the worksheets, what books to read, how much each day, some background for the teacher to present to the students etc.

Heather

Oops! Don't mean to call anyone out, but I think the card titles are proprietary info. I only know this because in Classical Conversations we use the Veritas cards but are never allowed to publish the lists.

That said, we have used their cards this year as our history spine after having memorized the World History timeline in CC last year. We are currently working our way through Explorers to 1815 and, although I purchased the Scholars Lesson Plans and Teacher Manual, the only thing I am using is the cards and books! I spent time this summer lining up lots of books (from Sonlight and Beautiful Feet, in addition to the Veritas selections) and each week the kids and I pick some to explore. This works for us since I have such avid readers. They narrate back (oral or written, depending on age). We are thoroughly enjoying this approach! Juggling the extra plans and papers just seemed like a lot of extra work to me since the meat of our study comes from the books anyway.

Oops! Don't mean to call anyone out, but I think the card titles are proprietary info. I only know this because in Classical Conversations we use the Veritas cards but are never allowed to publish the lists.

You can find the entire list on their website in the resources section, see page 7 in the pdf below:

http://resources.veritaspress.com/samples/000105.pdf

As the other poster said, this info in on their website. Classical Conversations can not publish the info because they sell the products in which they would want to publish it, therefore making money off of information that is not theirs.

Heather

We are using VP for both history and Bible this year. It was such a good decision for us this year. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with VP! :D One of the things that helped me to make a decision to use VP was to watch a video that someone here had posted. It really helped me to understand how to use the cards.

Veritas Press History and Bible Video

What is the EasyClassical schedule? Are you using the VP cards only?

The Easy Classical schedule combines the VP cards with SOTW. Because VP focuses on western history to the exclusion of China and India (at least in ancient history), we use SOTW to fill in the gaps there. Easy Classical ends up combining 2 VP cards into one week sometimes so that there is time enough to add in a few SOTW chapters on Mesopotamia, China and India, etc.

This is our first year using VP, so I don't know how much eastern history is included in the following years.

I think the greatest thing about the VP cards is the list of resources and page numbers on the back directing you to more info on the subject being studied. But we love SOTW too, so we're getting the best of both worlds.

• 1 month later...
As the other poster said, this info in on their website. Classical Conversations can not publish the info because they sell the products in which they would want to publish it, therefore making money off of information that is not theirs.

Heather

I see. Thanks for clarifying!

The Easy Classical schedule combines the VP cards with SOTW. Because VP focuses on western history to the exclusion of China and India (at least in ancient history), we use SOTW to fill in the gaps there. Easy Classical ends up combining 2 VP cards into one week sometimes so that there is time enough to add in a few SOTW chapters on Mesopotamia, China and India, etc.

This is our first year using VP, so I don't know how much eastern history is included in the following years.

I think the greatest thing about the VP cards is the list of resources and page numbers on the back directing you to more info on the subject being studied. But we love SOTW too, so we're getting the best of both worlds.

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I am looking for... I wanted to do Greece & Rome with my younger one next year, and this schedules out everything that we're already using (except Saxon, but I may revisit that).

:hurray: Happy dances from me!

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting this! This is exactly what I am looking for... I wanted to do Greece & Rome with my younger one next year, and this schedules out everything that we're already using (except Saxon, but I may revisit that).

:hurray: Happy dances from me!

:iagree: Easy Classical!! HOW did I miss that? It looks awesome . . . Now I'm re-thinking VP. My oldest LOVES VP history. It fits him perfectly. I have just struggled with combining.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad to be of help!! I love that you can get the schedules separately, as in just history or just science, or all together. We've enjoyed using it this year. Of course, I do have to do my own thing by re-working it all into my own spreadsheet for our schedule... :D ...but it's a great help to have it all laid out. And I think it's reasonably priced too!