Menu

What is this writing/spelling issue with my ds?

He's always had issues with spelling. Really, he's horrible at it. We still do dictation and I spell nearly all the words for him, but he always gets the punctuation right and his handwriting is really nice.

So, today during another horrible spelling test, he tells me that he can spell the words in his head, but can't get them on to the paper. He's right! When we study the words together during the week - we do it orally. Then, I have him copy them or do exercises with them. But, during the test, he can't get it onto paper.

Ideas? I'm frustrated!

Oh - and these are not difficult words! He's a 4th grader. These words were things like cute, blue, flew, etc.

My son does that, as well as *say* the correct answer aloud, but *write* the incorrect answer. It happens with spelling and math. He will say, "4 times 2 is 8" and as he is saying it, write a 6. Spelling is the same way. One time his sister asked how to spell 'they', he spelled it correctly for her and minutes later spelled it as 'thet' on his own grammar work.

Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked for us is me physically sitting at his side to help. We do a bit of everything. I watch him work and make a slight noise if I see him starting to write the wrong thing. He's starting to catch himself now, after a year of doing this. I also take dictation from him and let him use the computer for some writing assignments.

My husband and I marvel at where this child would be if he was in PS. It's a scary thought and I'm thankful I can be there for him.

Maybe he needs more direct instruction, rather than just studying the words. My first recommendation would be Spalding.

LOL This link is a baseball site. Ds would love that for a spelling program, but I don't think it's what you meant! And, we definitely do study the words together. We talk about the rules and how to spell the different sound of the week.

What sort of spelling program are you using? Maybe he needs something different? One thing I like about TWTM way of using Spelling Workout is that all of those spelling rules really do help.

We've tried different things. SW just didn't work for him last year, but maybe I should bring it out again. I gave it up after he wasn't retaining anything and started in on the Dolch lists. He's a very active kid, so we were spelling the words while he did circles or jumped up and down, etc. It didn't work. This year, I pulled out a book that we had from two years ago - just a 2nd grade book. It follows spelling rules. This week was the long U sound - UI, EW, U (consonant) E, etc. These rules just don't stick!!!

My son does that, as well as *say* the correct answer aloud, but *write* the incorrect answer. It happens with spelling and math. He will say, "4 times 2 is 8" and as he is saying it, write a 6. Spelling is the same way. One time his sister asked how to spell 'they', he spelled it correctly for her and minutes later spelled it as 'thet' on his own grammar work.

Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked for us is me physically sitting at his side to help. We do a bit of everything. I watch him work and make a slight noise if I see him starting to write the wrong thing. He's starting to catch himself now, after a year of doing this. I also take dictation from him and let him use the computer for some writing assignments.

My husband and I marvel at where this child would be if he was in PS. It's a scary thought and I'm thankful I can be there for him.

YES!!!! This is it! He was fine when we were going over the words all week orally. But, when I would say the words, he'd get them wrong much of the time. The word "cute" became "qute." That's when he told me that he can do it out loud, but something happens between his brain and his hand.

And, I hear you about being so glad we're homeschooling!!!! I can't imagine what they'd do to him in PS with this difficulty!!!! Luckily, in math he doesn't do this. He really gets math and it's his strong point. It's just words.

We've tried different things. SW just didn't work for him last year, but maybe I should bring it out again. I gave it up after he wasn't retaining anything and started in on the Dolch lists. He's a very active kid, so we were spelling the words while he did circles or jumped up and down, etc. It didn't work. This year, I pulled out a book that we had from two years ago - just a 2nd grade book. It follows spelling rules. This week was the long U sound - UI, EW, U (consonant) E, etc. These rules just don't stick!!!

Have you heard the Sing, Spell, Read and Write songs? That is what helped my middle daughter the most. Some of them might be to simple. But, some of them might help like: with a silent e it's like a game, the first vowel speaks, it says the letter name, the vowel is a, the word is game.

Did you try having him write out the rules presented in the SWO lessons? Or memorize them? My middle dd memorizes the best with jumping, pacing, etc. She also has the most trouble getting her correct answers down on paper. I sympathize, it can be tough to make that connection.

Wow, I've been wondering lately what has been going on with my son. He does the same thing. He'll be saying a number out loud as he is writing it, but what actually ends up on the paper is something different. Same thing with words. He'll spell it as he is writing it, but he writes different letters than he says. He even spelled his name wrong last week on a paper. He is 10 and I was just baffled that a 10 year old would mix up the order of the letters of his name. That really pushed me to research and see what I could find out about this 'problem', but I really couldn't find anything. (okay, well, so I only looked for about 15 minutes). I'm assuming it is something like dyslexia, since I know he has that. But still find it strange that something is interrupting the signal from his brain to his hand.

Maybe dysgraphia?

Why can't he do his spelling orally?

I have at least 2 children with dyslexia and one has probably got dysgraphia. I myself have a writing problem (mild dyslexia) and I couldn't spell to save my life.

My brother has dyslexia and can only write at all if he prints in upper case. He cannot write in lower case at all. It hasn't stopped him in the work force at all, he is now maintenance manager for Ambulance Victoria. he just has a secretary end of problem.