Menu

Latin Prep users

WTMindy

how has it been going for you? We are considering this next year for after we finish LC 2. I know people were excited in the beginning and I'm wondering if people are still liking it.

YES! So far so good. We should be done with LP 1 by the end of summer (started late). No negatives here. Others?

Guest Lorna

Our daughter is still really enjoying it. She seems to have really taken to Latin with this. There is plenty of variety, everything is well explained, and it is written with a great sense of humour. Dd looks forward to doing it. What more can I say? :001_smile:

We've enjoyed it as well. After LC II it was a choice for us between Latin Prep and Henle. I'm very glad we took the Latin Prep route! My boys are 4th and 5th grade and the Latin Prep text is much more appealing to them than the Henle. Plus, I'm impressed with the translation and reading comprehension expectations. They've really excelled using this text.

We're very pleased! We've been using it for about five weeks or so. We previously finished Prima Latina, Minimus, and Secundus. This is by far the most thorough study and best explanation of Latin that we've seen. We're looking forward to continuing with the series.

And, Kay, SYRWTLL is for older children. Both LP and SYRWTLL start at the beginning. The publisher recommends you follow this program: LP1, LP2, LP3, SYRWTLL 3 (because it goes further). Of course if you start with older children, you would do SYRWTLL1, 2, and 3. After that, they say you'll be ready to read real Latin books. (Hard to believe, but we'll see!)

I'm sure you're wondering how old is older; I don't remember. Somebody else will know. It's something like LP if you start in 4th grade and SYRWTLL if you start in 7th grade.

Another Latin Prep question...

How does the original "So, you really want to learn Latin" series relate to Latin Prep? Are they simply different versions of the same thing? Does one lead into the other? And what happens after Latin Prep?

Thanks so much!!!

Althought SY Latin is designed for beginners aged 13 and up, I think (having now seen bits of both series) that Latin Prep is a better series for novice teachers of Latin. For older students, I would just speed up, perhaps doing 1 1/2 or 2 books a year. LP is very meaty - it's definitely not just playing at learning Latin.

So, my recommended sequence is LP 1, 2, 3 then SY 3, either over 3 1/2 years (younger students) or quicker (older students).

Laura

Best wishes

Laura

Our daughter is still really enjoying it. She seems to have really taken to Latin with this. There is plenty of variety, everything is well explained, and it is written with a great sense of humour. Dd looks forward to doing it. What more can I say? :001_smile:

This is us too! Forest was bored to tears with his Latin program and I switched him over to Latin Prep and he loves it. It is fun but rigorous and far from being dry. We get a kick out of the sentences we need to translate. Also, from day 1 he was translating, which is something he really enjoys. We've been doing this program for only 4 weeks now and it was fun to hear him read two paragraphs in Latin out of his book. We are definitely hooked. I'm hoping to go through it myself. :)

Mindy-

We've completed LP2 and the first half of LP3 thus far. And while I can't say that my ds11 "loves" Latin, I can say that he's complained LESS about this Latin curricula than any other. And while that may not exactly sound like a ringing endorsement ;-), I can say that he giggles his way thru some of the exercises/translations/pictures and truly, Latin has been pretty painless this year. No tears. No whining. That makes it a success here to my way of thinking. We'll be continuing on with Galore Park next year.

We are also still very pleased with it. My oldest will finish LP1 over the summer, and do LP2 next year, alongside Lingua Latina, for 7th grade.

My 4th/rising 5th grader will also continue wtih LP1, but at a much slower pace. He certainly will not finish LP1 over the summer, but hey! We've got plenty of time :)

No plans to switch here.

My 5th grade dd began Latin Prep after Christmas this year, so she's still in book 1. She really enjoys it, and it is a better fit for her than Henle would have been with all its talk of war and slaughter. Although I'll have to say there is a little killing going on in LP. ;)

I anticipate she'll move to LP 2 after finishing 1.