Menu

Adrenal/Cortisol test results

Ugh! I drive an hour to get to my dr. and he didn't bother to make sure the results were in b4 I got there. He got them faxed but not until the end of the appt. so I have no idea what the results mean. Plus, he is just not listening to me!!! Grrr.

My cortisol levels are even though the day so that means in the am they are depressed, so a 12 from 13-24 but in the noon, pm, and midnight they are elevated??

So, 11 from 5-10 (noon), 12 from 3-8 (evening), and 9 from 1-4 (midnight).

So confused. Also, I guess the test checked progesterone and I tested depressed levels, so 17 from 22-100!!!

He, although noticed the low progesterone, didn't even mention helping me get my progesterone up!!! I told him about my experince with the gaps intro (low carb diet) and the pb and having millions and millions of bacteria and possibly candida in my stool and he suggested a stool analaysis but when I told him I couldn't swing that right now, gave me nothing to do about it. I'm so bummed!!! He's been willing/offered to treat by symptoms on most everything else but no offer when I actually have proof!! I told him that I strongly suspect bacteria infection because 1. my kids have diahrrea and 2. food allergies, and even have the diahrrea when off food allergies and even after telling him before hand abut seeing bacteria he said diahrrea can be cause by lots of things. Come on, I SAW THEM!!! I mean come on...I battle suicide and he KNOWS this. There is a defenite brain/gut connection.

I am at a loss. Also, he spent the first 1/2 hour asking me things I've already answered and when I told him that I really get depressed feeling trapped my the physical limitations right now he was like what limitation??!! I'm like fatigue, muscle pain, low energy, etc. and he had to check his notes and it was all in there and then told me that he was just asking again to get a summary from me. Talk about feeling not listened to! UGH!

This is also the Dr. after listening to son's and I's GI issues was certain we didn't have food allergies or major GI issues but went ahead and did the allergy test anyways only to come back ridiculously high on many things. He said lots of patient want him to do food allegry tests and stool test and most of them come back negative. A bias? I've had several friends who have them done and the bacteria and candida where off the charts high and found relief from symptoms like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, depression and more shortly after treatment.

Anyways, low progesterone is totally related to depression and I've heard of moms wanting to kill themselves and children for years and finally finding out they have low progesterone and they are miraculously better with treatment. Like NIGHT and DAY.

Edited by mommyjen
for a full story and to make sense

progesterone helps. a. lot.

here is a great article that can help avoiding any problems...I've had a few problems (see under heading "Metabolic Clearance"). but I'm about to get them straightened out.

call him and ask why he has not mentioned treating you for the progesterone. don't be afraid to speak up. it's your body, your money.

I told him about my experince with the gaps intro (low carb diet) and the pb and having millions and millions of bacteria and possibly candida in my stool and he suggested a stool analaysis but when I told him I couldn't swing that right now, gave me nothing to do about it. I'm so bummed!!!

Where are you in Oregon? (You can pm me). I just went to an AWESOME PA... my first appointment was almost 2 hours long, and I was charged less than $100. All the right questions were asked, and I really feel I was listened to, and that I am in good hands. I KNOW there are good dr.s out there.

If you have done GAPS intro, you should ask at the GAPS support site for a GAPS-friendly dr. near your area (we're starting into next week! So nervous!).

happygrrl, Glad you had a good experience! What is a PA btw? Never heard of that before. I would love to find a GAPS supportive dr.! Oh my. I've never heard of such a thing.

I don't totally agree with GAPS so I've thought that I wouldn't be supported on the group for things like adrenal supplemenation, progesterone supplementation, thryoid supplementation, and herbs that are awesome killing bacteria to jump start the healing process. I think the above are valuable to keep someone level for a season and you can wean off as you body heals and begins to do what it should. I know others who have approached it this way and are better and off their supps now...it didn't create a dependecy the way they went about it. Anyways, just not sure about joining the group. Oh and also I believe allergies can be healed (that's parlty why we are doing GAPS) but not alway and I don't believe just because you don't have a reaction to something immediately or very noticeably that you are not allergic to it. Some ppl are very allergic to things like beef and I think GAPS downplays this. I have a friend who discovered this with allergy testing and went off for a season and then had beef again and reacted very severely. Sorry for my ramblings. Good luck with GAPS! It's a great healing diet and we noticed huge, huge improvement in mood and physically as well.

progesterone helps. a. lot.

here is a great article that can help avoiding any problems...I've had a few problems (see under heading "Metabolic Clearance"). but I'm about to get them straightened out.

call him and ask why he has not mentioned treating you for the progesterone. don't be afraid to speak up. it's your body, your money.

Thanks muffinmom! I need to call, but I'm also thinking about switching providers. I'd like to start on the progesterone right away but am not sure about dosing, so I may need to wait until I call current Dr. back or find another one. Glad you're figuring out the "MC" soon! Let us know how it works out for you!

happygrrl, Glad you had a good experience! What is a PA btw? Never heard of that before. I would love to find a GAPS supportive dr.! Oh my. I've never heard of such a thing.

I don't totally agree with GAPS so I've thought that I wouldn't be supported on the group for things like adrenal supplemenation, progesterone supplementation, thryoid supplementation, and herbs that are awesome killing bacteria to jump start the healing process. I think the above are valuable to keep someone level for a season and you can wean off as you body heals and begins to do what it should. I know others who have approached it this way and are better and off their supps now...it didn't create a dependecy the way they went about it. Anyways, just not sure about joining the group. Oh and also I believe allergies can be healed (that's parlty why we are doing GAPS) but not alway and I don't believe just because you don't have a reaction to something immediately or very noticeably that you are not allergic to it. Some ppl are very allergic to things like beef and I think GAPS downplays this. I have a friend who discovered this with allergy testing and went off for a season and then had beef again and reacted very severely. Sorry for my ramblings. Good luck with GAPS! It's a great healing diet and we noticed huge, huge improvement in mood and physically as well.

The group is really supportive- some are mixing other diets with GAPS, some are supplementing, others are going strict GAPS. The over arching theme seems to be helping each other dial out the individualized route to health. Several people are from OR and could help with Dr. recommendations. It is very active and can be overwhelming (much like this forum! ha!) so you should be OK with deleting unread messages before joining!

A PA is a Physician's Assistant, and can do about 80% of what a Dr. can do. A dr. once told me that they are in between a DR. and a nurse... the brain of a dr. and the heart of a nurse, making them perfect! I am not sure mine is perfect, but she is coming closer than any health care pro has done before! :D

Best of luck to you!